Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: perceptual ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 12:36AM

Just wondering; I imagine He'd be really pissed and want to smite the people who killed him.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 12:40AM

He was distracted inventing car keys so that a hundred years later he could help people find them.

That's what Brigham Young said in a sermon, but I can't find the exact quote right now.

Posted by: perceptual ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 10:09PM

That actually explains everything. Back to Mormonism I go!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 01:07AM

He hastened it.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 05:50AM

He immediately signed the judgment sending JS to hell.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 06:50AM

Slight tangent, but personally what I think is one of the huge evidences the church is not led by God:

If God really leads the church why did he not reveal who the successor would be to Joseph Smith before Smith died?

The result was turmoil and a 3 year succession battle resulting in at least 4 major splinter groups.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 07:13AM

1. Excellent point about revealing who should be the successor. Actually, there were SEVERAL claims that one was chosen by JS. What JS did was to promise it severally and at the right time just ex whomever he thought was getting too powerful.
2. This should remind one of the issues between the Sunnis and the Shiites.
3. Did JS write the letter claimed by Strang? Did JS anoint his son? An enquiring mind would like to know. We know that BY took control of the newspaper in Nauvoo and imitated JS's voice and still had problems consolidating control. We also know that Strang, originally against polygamy, later practiced it. We also know that Strang "translated" the voree plates (lol).
4. Many dictators die without the succession being settled. Reason? Keep the competition going and playing one apostle against another - "who loves me more...?". Worked for JS even getting an apostle to give him his 14 year old daughter.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 10:17PM

Well, actually there wasn't any help for him.

Guess he saw it coming though (I go as a lamb to the slaughter) and so it is his own fault for not running away and leaving his followers to fend off the angry at him mobs.

If God wanted him to be a martyr God could have done it a little less "Wild West" with a gun and people taking bullets for him.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 10:55PM

He gave us Vernal, Utah's dinosaur land

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 11:50PM

Well, Mormons did that Oath of Vengeance thing in the temple for a number of years, but that got nowhere. My guess is that God gave up. He's just God, you know. Not like he can do everything. I'd bet God's an angry old coot now, sitting in his underwear and sipping off-name beer while watching pro wrestling.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 11:57PM

I think God smote his people, as his is so fond of doing, with a curse of boredom.

He fixed it so that as the years progressed, everything they loved about the church--the little girls, the plural wives, the wine, the cigars, the murders-for-cause-is-a-kindness, the having absolute power to abuse women and children, you know--all the things that make life worth living to God's faithful, all these things he would take away, leaving them with

Janitor duties in a ward building completely stripped of every uplifting element, bland and uninspiring in the extreme.

The earthly equivalent of living in the void as far as information and interest are concerned. A life of obedience and boredom, filled with longing and hope for a better life after death and sacrificing the colors, the scents, the sex, the smells and the experiences of this life for an imaginary life that will never come.

It is a fitting punishment to be Mormon and just marking time until the release of death.

And then, God's laughter.

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.