Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 06:13PM

Jesus these dudes look old, dour, and tired. If these talks weren't written they wouldn't know what to say.

http://www.lds.org/training/wwlt/2013/hastening/special-broadcast?lang=eng

Check out 1:35:08. This man looks like he is dying as I watch.

What a cult of death eaters.

Packer is little more than a zombie. Jesus save me from these people.

Man, Nelson mentioned love enough to question why?

I don't think this "Tales from The Crypt" that inspiring. These men sound like crappy men of wisdom. The Utah voice makes me cringe. I feel like I'm back in Utah surrounded by proxy people more concerned with the dead than the living.

I'm physically tired listing.

I've been listing to The Last Days of Socrates. Here was a 70 year old man defending himself. He held to his beliefs. He inspired the people who surrounded him. His words are interesting and full of vitality. I don't agree with a lot but the context and the feeling they are given with seem profound to me.

These LDS geezers are just wheezing out their tired breath about things they have believed in their whole lives and probably not questioned much. And then there is Socrates who has a method named after him about questioning and examining his life - and he believed in supernatural stuff as well!

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 24, 2013 06:40PM

That was much more interesting - thanks.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 07:44PM

Date: June 24, 2013 08:56PM

I don't know if anyone like Macro is going to show up to smother Thomas Monson on his deathbed to hasten his way to godhood but I would not be surprised...

The death of Tiberius from "The Caesars" (1968)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD5OXAx8qhg

Date: June 24, 2013 09:44PM

WOW! cool.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 09:44PM

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 09:46PM

Elder Berry, I'm in total agreement. Especially on the comparison to Socrates.

How can any rational, self-respecting person stand any of it?! I’ve already thrown up in my mouth a little bit from watching the first 20 minutes of it. But I’m past that now. Ok, not really...

From a marketing standpoint (which one would think TSCC would have nailed by now) the saggy, baggy, uninspiring, about-as-charismatic-as-a-chewed-on-popsicle-stick, display of old white men taking center stage for promoting this WORK (as in: job, chore, labor, toil, exertion, slog, drudgery, grind, task, burden) is already a big, fat, laughable failure. Right now all the wet-behind-the-ears, naïve, hopeful high-school graduates will chow down on this, just eat it up. They really have no idea what the real world is like - the world that Stan rules, in which nice, normal, regular, decent folk just try to do the best they can and be good people without meddling from LD$ Inc about the rules of some ridiculous afterlife club membership interfering with all the work they have already to do in *this* life.

I feel a great deal for those naïve, teenaged hopefuls. Life’s about to deal them a harsh dose of reality. Nobody, except the most marginalized, at-risk, poor communities (and therefore least able to contribute monetarily) wants to hear about Joseph Smith’s ridiculous claims. So what’s in it for me? A sky daddy loves me, for the most part, and my salvation is so important? (baptism, callings, a few months later….) Wait, I have to pay 10% to get my exaltation signed, sealed, delivered and the church won’t really minister to me other than guilt-trip me as to my worthiness or righteousness? (drifts into inactivity….)

I’ve been out over half my life now, but even as a girl it’s not out of bounds that I wouldn’t have ended up in the mission field. Given my TBMness and rebelliousness to expectations of me, there’s a chance I would’ve resisted marrying an RM at 19 or 20 and instead have gone on a mission. I can see that person inside me as a teen. I recognize her, know what she was all about: enthusiasm, deep emotions, passion, wanting to belong, wanting recognition for achievement and efforts I made, wanting to help others feel what I felt (passion, deep emotion). All of it would have nicely and perfectly dovetailed into making me a rather annoying (but very, very sincere) mormon missionary. And I still wouldn’t have had the slightest fucking clue what I was talking about when it comes to ‘Truth’.

Anyone with an even fractionally functional bullshit-meter couldn’t care less about the claims of Joseph Smith. Trying to harness the power of the Interwebs with chat rooms or iPads will not change this fact one iota.

So what is it, exactly, that the billions of people in the world need to learn from high school graduates who have never been to college or even another state in most cases, who have in all likelihood never questioned whatever it is they’ve been told to believe from the day they were born? What exactly is their message again?

Ai. Yai. Yai. As if harnessing the power of duh Interwebs will change the basic absurdity of that premise.

Watching this tonight is both cringe-worthy while it yet gives me hope. LD$ continuing to trot out these laughably out of touch, 1950’s cookie cutter (and outrageously old, white, and unattractive) anachronisms to deliver their weird, cultish and quite frankly – boring – message of “The WORK of Salvation” will fall most squarely flat on its face.

I have been very grateful for such a place as EfM. But I’m predicting there won’t be much of a need for it by the time I’m drawing social security. That’s a cause for sadness, and also celebration.

Holland: “Never again in your entire life are you going to be part of a zone conference this large.”

(frogdogs imagining what at *least* half of the teenagers there are thinking: “You got that right, buddy. And for all the right reasons, too.”)

Date: June 24, 2013 09:59PM

Reading your post made me imagine these old, dry, white men as these creatures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogon

P.S. Don't listen to them recite poetry. It will drive you mad.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 08:18AM

EB, I just saw your reply this morning and spit out my coffee.

Perfect comparison between Vogons and the old men running LD$.

"Oh freddled gruntbuggly, er, missionaries..."

Date: June 25, 2013 11:24AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgXhB3C6s1M

Inspiring as a tour of their genealogical library.

Warning this poetry reading might kill you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m43MBs0TGpc

Posted by: Turd ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 07:33PM

You mentioned he word "white" twice, clearly using it as a negative. Are you a racist?

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 09:54PM

The reason Jeff Holland looks like “Droopy Dog” is because he rubs his eyes. He rubs them a lot. He doesn't sleep well, so he rubs his eyes. I wonder why he doesn't sleep well?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2013 10:12PM by wine country girl.

Date: June 26, 2013 04:02AM

The opening notes of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony are said to symbolise Death knocking at the door.

Ludwig van Beethoven, Symphony No. 5,
Arturo Toscanini and the NBC Radio Symphony Orchestra
22 March 1952
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6K_IuBsRM4

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.