Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:09PM

People left the LDS cult for a reason.

What LDS Inc is now pushing is conversations with apostates. Yes, those apostates they were not supposed to associate with.

Those apostates that are going to ask questions back.

LDS Inc is going to lose far more people than they gain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:11PM

Yeah, they just can't get that stalker mentality out of their heads. They think it's loving, but instead it's creepy. People don't like feeling stalked. It's actually a little frightening.

They've asked not to be contacted for a reason too.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:18PM

Mormons hate thinking their names and actions are being discussed and officially recorded at the local police station.

Posted by: Calm down ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 11:19PM

Most police departments do not have time to deal with whiners who don't want to talk to missionaries. I'm sorry, but that's just the truth. Their contact with you may be unwelcome, but it does not fit the legal definition of stalking in any state. The cops would probably tell you to be a grown-up and deal with it yourself.

Date: June 24, 2013 06:22AM

The police will take time for those who go in and ask to file a report. I've done it and it worked. In fact the police chief wrote a letter to and phoned the bish, sp, and mp for me, then followed up with sending an officer in police car to the bishops house to explain how it was his responsibility to inform his members that they should stay away from my home and never call or mail me harassing materials.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 09:05AM

If you tell them to stop contacting you multiple times and they keep coming back, for instance because you are a female without a speck of authority in their minds, YES that is what the police are there for.
Idiot.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:23PM

Agree. People leave because they did their homework.

A plate of cookies and a good deed are hardly going to undo facts learned.

Like you said, this could backfire because a conversation with an apostate might be enlightening to the person who never thought to question.

They might see that nice people leave. We're not the evil creepy Satan followers they were taught to associate with people who leave.

If they are really so feeble minded to think people left because they couldn't keep Mormon "standards" they are in for a surprise.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:57PM

It's also not going to erase the memory of the crappy way Mormons treated us just for having a few questions about Mormonism. I honestly find Mormons untrustworthy and unkind as a rule so even the nicer ones I view with suspicion until proven wrong.

Mormons make a terrible impression on others in all but the most shallow circumstances. They don't know the answers to the questions, get angry at the truth and don't realize how weird they come across to others. Sending inactives and prospective members to Mormons isn't going to help a bit.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:33PM

Yes, the worst idea ever.

I was thinking I could quietly go inactive and maybe still attend church here and there to make things easier for my family. I knew there would be some contact to try to reactivate me, but the new plans sound like harrassment.

It all just sounds like a threat to me...If you go inactive we'll gossip about you more than ever in ward council and send even more univited people to your door when you least expect it.

It will just get people to resign.

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 08:44AM

I don't think most TBMs are going to bother doing this tbh. There's calls to re-activate memebrs every General Conference, and I never noticed the people in my ward doing anything about it.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 08:58AM

that they need to create accountability. The bishops and ward mission leaders will probably be told to pester the members, extract names, and follow up in a structured way.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:44PM

Does this mean I don't get cookies? I like cookies.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:48PM

I'll send you some - no strings attached!

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:47PM

You have to remember though, most people who go inactive probably aren't like us. They don't do they're homework. I think most inactives still believe in the church to some degree, otherwise most of them would resign. I think they would have better luck luck with inactives because no one is interested in joining and those who do join go inactive. So they might as well focus on those folks.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:50PM

I'll be surprised if they can get 10% of their "less active" members back into full activity: attending regularly, holding a "calling", paying tithing and going to the temple.

People are "less active" for a reason. Usually it's a good one!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:53PM

Then we need to step up and inform those inactives - nicely, because we don't want to send them running the wrong way. But if you hear of an inactive family being b.s.ed in the ward, then someone needs to give them the information to strengthen their testimony that what they feel about Mormonism (ambivalent) will be validated by research and truth.

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 10:27PM

Not always. I "did my homework" decades ago. Found out the historical problems, multiple versions of the First Vision, and that it was all based on lies. Went from totally active temple going to a total non-believer. Haven't attended in 30 years unless you count a family funeral or other family event. Yet, I have never resigned. I was never ex-communicated or disfellowshiped. If they had ever tried to, I would have resigned, but otherwise, why resign? They have no power. I don't think they actually change their membership counts. If I needed to get them to quit harrassing me, I would, but they don't know where to find me because I've moved around and changed names. Family members who are still active haven't sent missionaries after me in 20 years. They know better. I would teach the missionaries things they would rather they didn't know. I don't see the point of resigning in my case. I don't care about a letter. I understand that some of you do. But I just don't care anymore than I care that my first brief temple marriage is still theorectically in effect. If you believe that crap. I don't. It's not.

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 11:39PM

sofia, you sound like my aunt that left years ago. I will have to have a conversation with her about the church and share stories. Maybe I will find that she knows others in the family that quit believing the lies.

Date: June 24, 2013 06:24AM

Posted by: exbishfromportland ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 12:20AM

Are they chocolate chip cookies?

Date: June 24, 2013 06:41AM

but more like jack Mormons, people who still claim the faith but don't attend for whatever reason and maybe feel guilty about it.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 07:23AM

The problem is that a lot of the leadership think that we are Jackmos too. They think that we still believe, & only went inactive because we want to "sin".

Date: June 24, 2013 07:35AM

and tell the members to leave us alone, do not want. But you're probably right that some of our families and their local leaders don't understand. I guess they'll find out.

I've never told my mom straight-up what I think of the church, because she had such a cow about what little I did say. She knows I'm an atheist, and I think she knows I have no use for the church, but I doubt she knows I've resigned.

I'm thinking up innocuous, non-bovine-labor-inducing ways of saying, "Hell to the no!" :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2013 07:48AM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 06:47AM

Worst? No, one of the best things because it will expose TBMs to the truth. For each person brought back in, at least two will leave. That's a good thing!

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 06:52AM

I'm sure the church's Every Member a Janitor and We Have No More Fun Activities programs will really get inactive members back to church (NOT).

I also gather that if mormons have any nonmormon friends they should give their names to the missionaries. I guess that way those friends can become nonfriends.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 07:17AM

Think of the testimonies that will be strengthened by the shared persecution of being de-friended because of their beliefs. Such nobility! Such superiority over the hard-hearted sinners who are just too weak to live the rigorous Mormon "standards." Testimony meeting will, for a time, be monopolized by martyr-imonies.

Posted by: smithscars ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 08:04AM

It looks like the Mormon church is going for broke. They changed the age of the missionaries to send more out and now they are changing the approach. They're burning through all their fuel very quickly.

Talk about sending lambs to the slaughter. It would be different if the Mormon church was based on truth and they didn't have such a coverup of actual Mormon history.

Too bad they don't have the truth after all and now they are planning on making their arguments IN WRITING :D

I always thought they were smart enough to keep the Meat hidden, how will they be able to do that on the internet? At least before when someone asked difficult questions they could ignore and forget them. Now it will be in writing for the Mormon to go back and look at.

It puts a new spin on Abe Lincoln's quote: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

So let it be written...So let it be done!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 08:26AM

PRISM is starting to seem like a bit of harmless fun...

Posted by: bizquick ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 09:24AM

The ward mission leader in Elder's Quorum made the comment that he looked at the ward boundries with the missionaries and identified the less-actives and non-members. There are a lot of opportunities, and he specifically mentioned inviting the kids of the families to church activities, "Children are more teachable." I was flabbergasted, and bit lip to keep the peace. CULT!

No doubt when these project kids invite his children to attend an activity at their catholic/baptist/non-denominational church he'll be beside himself.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 10:34AM

Think of the community that posts here. I cannot imagine how many RFM posters would react if their children were targeted (often using ruse tactics) for re enlistment.

LDS Inc has no idea of the fuse they are lighting. They will be getting publicity, but not how they expect.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 10:50AM

My middle sister has just started reaching out to me this past month...twice inviting me to her place for a cookout.

Mind you, it's been ten freaking years since I was shunned - and she was the bandleader. But now without any explanation or apology she is trying to get at me again. WTF?

I replied back, "you are acting creepy and I don't know what you're trying to prove but I want no part in it."

So freaking disingenuious by a bunch of moron drones. Makes me want to puke.

Posted by: runningyogi ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 12:26PM

Bring it on. I am loaded and ready to share my Love and Happiness with them outside of The Crazy Cult.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 01:05PM

This is actually a good idea because it may likely drive the inactives even further away and they may decide to formally resign. A reactivation effort is what led to my formal resignation just two months ago. I like to imagine my former bishop and HP Grand Poobah leader listening to last night's broadcast, with my resignation fresh in their minds, all the while thinking, "This won't work. I invited Brother Adieu back to church, and the next thing I know, he resigned."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.