Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Scully ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:05PM

So I watched only the first half of it (IT being the SUPER AMAZING SO INSPIRING SPECIAL SESSION - not) and then DH and I took the kids shopping and for shakes.
I was really struck by the creepiness this time. I used to buy this stuff hook line and sinker. For nearly 35 years I bought into this stuff, served a mission and married in the temple. And now I look at it after several years of distance and think, "what the shiz?"
I read the synopsis by jiminycricket. Thanks for the blow by blow. But really - there was NOTHING monumental about that. Not i-Pads. Not reduced sentences for time served (18 months, 12 month options). Just some tour guidey stuff using old assets cleaned by volunteers. Oh, and the immense guilt, pressure, and stress that will be laid on the Ward Mission Leader.
Is the WML the new Julie from Love Boat? His job is now to keep the misshies entertained with prepped investigators, plucked from the friendshipping pool, and ensure these guys / gals with the black name tags don't have to go door to door anymore?
That is crap!

Oh, and DH and I are strategizing tonight. We are less actives on a permanent break. Sounds like they are going to be find us, and when they do.... we want to be prepared. (insert evil laugh)

Edited to credit Greyfort for the line I used in the subject. When I read it in Greyfort's post, it made me chuckle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2013 09:06PM by scully.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:07PM

They'll never take me alive !

Posted by: intjsegry ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:27PM

Ha- that's okay--- they'll take you "dead".

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:28PM

Posted by: Tay ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 02:27PM

ROFL oh this needs a double like button.

Posted by: Elizabeth really Smarts ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:07PM

I reside in Houston na dmy ex-wife was a TBM. Several young Mormon families have moved here from Utah. After using the church membership to help move in and or find jobs, they went 100% inactive. ------ > Recently, a woman at my work-place over-heard me and an Evangelical Christian Minister who had been visited by Missionaries, discuss the true Mormon history. She said: " I used to be a Moromon and converted for my ex-husband." I saw her bend down a few days later, she had garments on. The LDS Church is dwindling cult that almost all people are ashamed to be a member of.

Posted by: orange ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:08PM

We want them to come looking for us, so we can help them understand why they are very foolish by staying in a very illogical religion. The more they open their doors to us the more chances they will hear opposing voices.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:19PM

LOL I thought it sounded familiar.

But that's the message I got from watching the broadcast. I can't believe I watched it. I haven't watched anything from the Church in years.

I definitely don't need to watch one again. Blech.

But I'm really happy that I resigned. When I was working towards my resignation, my Mom and I were walking the dog. She asked, "Can I ask you something?" I said, "Sure."

She said, "When I left the Catholic Church, I just walked away. Why are you working so hard to officially resign from your church? Why can't you just walk away?"

I said, "Because Mom, the Catholic Church won't track you down, wherever you go, for the rest of your life. They won't assign you Visiting Teachers or try to give you a calling to suck you back in. They'll never let go."

She thought about it and said, "Well that sounds more like a cult."

That's when a light bulb went off in my head and I said, "Bingo! It is! It is a cult."

I'd always defended it from such a description, but that was the first time I began to understand why people called it that.

Date: June 23, 2013 09:32PM

OH YEAH. With all this social media coming down the gospel pipe, it was time to zip over the CoJCoL-dS facebook page.

It stands at 714K likes. I even saw one from someone I know. Ha ha. Be sure to check the 3rd comment below with a plug for cookies and the BoM. I included a few for fun. LOL.

Warren Zeigler Sr. It inspired me to double down on my social networking missionary efforts. I am currently disabled and not able to do much else at all.
Like · Reply · 14 · 8:30pm (57 minutes ago)Reply
2 Replies · 9:00pm (27 minutes ago)

Patsy O'Hara Dick 2 families came to mind, it's a start!
Like · Reply · 9 · 8:31pm (56 minutes ago)Reply

Emily Hulse Morin Loved it! We are blessed to have awesome full-time missionaries that help US get involved. It's our turn to help THEM more. P.s. my husband is dropping off cookies and a Book of Mormon to a neighbor right now.
Like · Reply · 8 · 8:33pm (54 minutes ago) via mobileReply

Reema Terupalli it inspired me to serve my mission
Like · Reply · 7 · 8:36pm (51 minutes ago) via mobileReply

Nancy Klingler Morrison We are introducing the Elders to our neighbors this week and inviting them to hear the message. Such a great broadcast!!
Like · Reply · 6 · 8:35pm (52 minutes ago)Reply

Todd Hodgins Inspired me as an Elder's Quroum President to want to reach out and fellowship those who have gone away and to reinvite them to come back and feel of the Spirit.
Like · Reply · 7 · 8:33pm (54 minutes ago)Reply

Bob Bennett Shocked me how much we are going to have to work to keep all these Missionaries busy and productive.
Like · Reply · 5 · 8:35pm (52 minutes ago) via mobileReply

Angie Waibel Miske To encourage my kids to pray for more missionary opportunities.
Like · Reply · 4 · 8:36pm (51 minutes ago) via mobileReply

JennieLin Jeffs Allinson Loved it. And I got to see my son in the choir!
Like · Reply · 5 · 9:02pm (25 minutes ago) via mobileReply

James Feagin Reporting from Columbia, Maryland. This was a gamechanger for me. My Facebook testimony should be more gospel related and focused.
Like · Reply · 5 · 8:51pm (36 minutes ago)Reply

Teana Thirkill It made me dedicate myself to listening to the promptings of the spirit and following those promtings as well as having faith that the Lord will send others to the people I love who are not participating in the gospel.
Like · Reply · 5 · 8:46pm (41 minutes ago)Reply

Cassie Lyman I inspired me to work harder in my callings
Like · Reply · 5 · 8:35pm (52 minutes ago)Reply

Charlotte Davisson Center It reminded me how I can utilize missionary as part of my calling.
Like · Reply · 5 · 8:33pm (54 minutes ago)Reply

Mary Jo-Art Foster Grateful for the testimony of Prophets
Like · Reply · 5 · 8:33pm (54 minutes ago)Reply

Posted by: Southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:59PM

scully Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OH YEAH. With all this social media coming down
> the gospel pipe, it was time to zip over the
> CoJCoL-dS facebook page.
>
> It stands at 714K likes. I even saw one from
> someone I know. Ha ha. Be sure to check the 3rd
> comment below with a plug for cookies and the BoM.
> I included a few for fun. LOL.
>
>
>
> Warren Zeigler Sr. It inspired me to double down
> on my social networking missionary efforts. I am
> currently disabled and not able to do much else at
> all.
> Like · Reply · 14 · 8:30pm (57 minutes
> ago)Reply
> 2 Replies · 9:00pm (27 minutes ago)
>
> Patsy O'Hara Dick 2 families came to mind, it's a
> start!
> Like · Reply · 9 · 8:31pm (56 minutes
> ago)Reply
>
> Emily Hulse Morin Loved it! We are blessed to have
> awesome full-time missionaries that help US get
> involved. It's our turn to help THEM more. P.s. my
> husband is dropping off cookies and a Book of
> Mormon to a neighbor right now.
> Like · Reply · 8 · 8:33pm (54 minutes ago) via
> mobileReply
>
> Reema Terupalli it inspired me to serve my mission
>
> Like · Reply · 7 · 8:36pm (51 minutes ago) via
> mobileReply
>
> Nancy Klingler Morrison We are introducing the
> Elders to our neighbors this week and inviting
> them to hear the message. Such a great
> broadcast!!
> Like · Reply · 6 · 8:35pm (52 minutes
> ago)Reply
>
> Todd Hodgins Inspired me as an Elder's Quroum
> President to want to reach out and fellowship
> those who have gone away and to reinvite them to
> come back and feel of the Spirit.
> Like · Reply · 7 · 8:33pm (54 minutes
> ago)Reply
>
> Bob Bennett Shocked me how much we are going to
> have to work to keep all these Missionaries busy
> and productive.
> Like · Reply · 5 · 8:35pm (52 minutes ago) via
> mobileReply
>
> Angie Waibel Miske To encourage my kids to pray
> for more missionary opportunities.
> Like · Reply · 4 · 8:36pm (51 minutes ago) via
> mobileReply
>
> JennieLin Jeffs Allinson Loved it. And I got to
> see my son in the choir!
> Like · Reply · 5 · 9:02pm (25 minutes ago) via
> mobileReply
>
> James Feagin Reporting from Columbia, Maryland.
> This was a gamechanger for me. My Facebook
> testimony should be more gospel related and
> focused.
> Like · Reply · 5 · 8:51pm (36 minutes
> ago)Reply
>
> Teana Thirkill It made me dedicate myself to
> listening to the promptings of the spirit and
> following those promtings as well as having faith
> that the Lord will send others to the people I
> love who are not participating in the gospel.
> Like · Reply · 5 · 8:46pm (41 minutes
> ago)Reply
>
> Cassie Lyman I inspired me to work harder in my
> callings
> Like · Reply · 5 · 8:35pm (52 minutes
> ago)Reply
>
> Charlotte Davisson Center It reminded me how I can
> utilize missionary as part of my calling.
> Like · Reply · 5 · 8:33pm (54 minutes
> ago)Reply
>
> Mary Jo-Art Foster Grateful for the testimony of
> Prophets
> Like · Reply · 5 · 8:33pm (54 minutes ago)Reply

Yet another reason not to on Facebook and other social media websites!!

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:34PM

The push for reactivation is going to be a stupendous failure. Yes, it may get a few inactives here and there that just kind of accidentally fell off the radar back in the fold, but when they turn their attention toward inactives like us (you know, the ones who have been gone for a long time and have made it painfully clear that they want nothing more to do with the church), they are in for a shock. I'm not going to be rude to anyone who calls or comes over, but I WILL respond tit-for-tat: share a message with me, I will share one with you (and you probably won't like it).

I predict that for the most part, the push for reactivation will last somewhere around a month...maybe 2...then members will get burnt out on the rejection that it'll just quietly be forgotten.

After tonight, I pity any poor sap called as WML.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:49PM

Bwah-hah-hah!!!... I used to think, if you don't believe it, and you're clear to your Morg friends about that, why don't you just be honest and resign? But I see real beauty with having "inactives" like you!

BTW...is "ward mission leader" a new calling or just a poor sap that just inherited all the fallout from this most inspired pronouncement?

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 12:20PM

stillburned Wrote:

> BTW...is "ward mission leader" a new calling or
> just a poor sap that just inherited all the
> fallout from this most inspired pronouncement?

Answer: WML is not a new calling. It's been around for years. He's now in charge of coordinating this program with the part-time calling of "ward-missionary" and the "full-time-missionary" and the "every-member-a-missionary." It's always a priesthood holder and one who is very TBM.

I've seen a few. They stay in for about 12-18 months, and then they're washed-up. Every day they talk to all the missionaries. They're supposed to be VERY involved in working so that the Elder's Quorum has its members ready to go on splits with the misshies in the evenings - that way they always have transportation to visit a LESS ACTIVE or whomever.

The WML sets up EVERY baptism at the local watering pit, usually the baptistery at the Stake Center.

Maybe the WML title should be explored? Hope that answers your question?

Date: June 24, 2013 12:50PM

If I recall, DH was once almost called as WML. I say almost, because we were both asked to be present for the interview.

The SP counselor issued the calling. Then we told him how we were newlyweds, he was a full time student and worked 30 hours/ wk. I worked 2 jobs at the time, too.

After he heard that, he excused himself, left the room, and came back to retract the calling. He took pity on us as poor newlyweds.

Anyway, it was a 20 hour/wk commitment!!! Thankless, volunteer work!

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:57PM

I think I'm already on some kind of "you probably shouldn't talk to him," list, so I'm curious to see if anybody shows up. I'm pretty good at turning the tables and having them on the defensive. I wonder if the leadership and followers are naive enough to think all of us are just lost sheep who wandered off, waiting to be swept back up into the fold.

I realize it's been said here a bunch of times... but they're just rearranging the deck chairs. Those chairs are still going to be under water in a matter of time, possibly accelerated by their efforts to push the matter with people more knowledgeable than themselves.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 10:19PM

I thought the broadcast was really sad, those Mormons really think if your not Mormon your a lost soul. they just want people to join so they can guilt trip them into giving 10% of their income.

The home teacher is at my house right now, and I can hear every word they say about me, of course he is talking about the broadcast.

I hate it when people talk about you as if you're not there. I'm in my room for gods sake

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 10:55PM

frankie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I hate it when people talk about you as if you're
> not there. I'm in my room for gods sake

"Third person invisible."

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 10:22PM

I know that the RfM members can hold their own. But this is still annoying. Hopefully their new zeal will wear off quickly.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 10:46PM

All this to avoid buying cars for all the new mishies? To keep them from endlessly knocking on doors that will slam in burned over districts? To save money on housing and feeding the surging wave of new mishies? To beguile the minds of the youngsters as they try to cope with life under the new program of failed missionary work?

This is a hoot to watch...

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 10:49PM

I feel so sorry for the guy. He and SIL just got back from a foreign mission.

On the other hand, I think the suburb they live in is 98% Mo anyway, so he won't have to work too hard. Or will he?

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 08:28AM

If 98%, we know that less than half of them are active. With any luck half of the inactives will resign, and many of the presently active members will become inactive or quit after they learn why the inactives have left.

Something one should note when a business begins to lose sales. Like most businesses, a ten per cent drop in sales begins the stage of cutting expenses. We have already seen the attempts to cut expenses due to foolish investments like the mall, by making the members do the janitorial work. We have seen cuts at the COB. TSCC will soon be consolidating buildings to save, making them farther away from members. All of this will speed the decline. If TSCC moves in the direction of truth, many members will leave. If TSCC tries to tough it out and hide its history and doctrines, many members will continue to leave. There is no way to stop the inevitable decline and fall. The house of cards is going the way of the dodo bird. Amen.

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 11:07PM

So then:

The church is obviously losing members like us: Most of us have gone on missions ourselves. We've held many high church positions. We have very specific and genuine reasons to believe that it's all BS. We are mature, motivated and informed people.

And how has the church decided to deal with us?

The ward council will send over some young, sheltered teenagers, who have never even been away from home before, who have grown up with internet-filtered information -- to show us just how wrong we are.

Poor kids.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 11:13PM

Yep I fit the bill. Been on a mission, know the scriptures inside out, as well as all the ancillary works. Tried it, so hard for so long, realized it was all a bunch of BS. So, yes, sending over innocent teens to try to convert me, that makes sense. Puh-leeze. I was one of them once.

I have two kids between 18 & 21 and four nieces and nephews the same age. I left when my oldest was 9. The others have been raised in the church and have TBM parents. None of the six are active and it's not a stage.

I've spoken with all of them (and did NOT try to influence them, especially my nieces & nephews, I wanted them all, including my kids, to make a rational decision on their own) and they all came to the conclusion on their own that the whole church thing was a crock.

They are all doing very well, by the way.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 04:19AM

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 07:31AM

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 07:32AM

Fucking hell...this means I'm going to get more fucking calls from the stake & ward Single Adult activity directors. I am not going to go to any stupid activities where grown adults are forced to act like 5 year olds. I have better things to do, like watching, reading, listening to, & doing anything I damn well please, without having to defer to a fucking cult.

& it also means that my mom's VT will start texting me & sending me cards again. I don't even know the damn woman; never met her in my entire life.

Posted by: rocketscientist ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 08:12AM

I just moved to a new house. I pity the people that bought our old house, they're in for some "all hours" knocking on the front door.

Posted by: raisedbyjackmormons ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 11:49AM

If they land back on my doorstep, I think it may finally be time for me to officially resign. I've already had some relatives wanting to "re-connect". Uh oh...

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 02:45PM

Ah, this would explain the vomit-inducing letter I got from the bishop saying that the world is falling further from the ways of the lord, and inviting everyone in the ward boundaries to a 'special' 3rd sunday school session.

I naively thought I'd lost them after we moved...

I'm taking it as an answer to my 'prayers' since I've been trying to figure out how to get the name and address of the bishop without setting them on my tail so I can send him a letter of my own...

Posted by: crookedletter ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 02:53PM

Yeah. I think I'm in for it. My last name is at the top of the membership lists, I've been "inactive" for months, and I'm a "part member family." Only thing I have working in my favor is that I'm not from the area, and the ward has lots of turnover due to military. So pretty soon I will be one of those unknown families on the list.

My biggest concern is my TBM sister. She will feel so inspired by this meeting to not give up on me. She just found out I'm out of the church. So far she's warned me that she won't be talking to me about church things (90% of her conversation), since I "no longer share the same values that she does." She told me outright that my family will not be invited to attend her family's baptisms, blessings, etc. But after this broadcast, she may have to rethink her strategy to comply with the "new program."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.