Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sexyanonymousgirl ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 04:27PM

Am I the only one who thinks LDS service is the most boring thing in the whole world. I never made it without reading a novel. Has anyone else been to other services.
Were they more interesting. It is the same thing every sunday with the same things being said. i.e. plan of salvation, repenting, having a testimony, temples always at 7th grade level etc etc

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 04:30PM

are you saying that LD$ Inc. does not put on a very good show ?

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 04:35PM

I've been to some snoozers in mainline Protestant denominations as well.

One of the great things the LDS church does is let members get up and talk. This has the potential to be highly entertaining, and when they get a good subject matter expert on something up there, it can actually be quite interesting. Some of the most memorable talks I've heard have been on financial planning (by CPA's), emergency prep (from a Cuban refugee who'd made it big in the US), and a few other topics.

The problem, now, is that the practical stuff of years gone by has given way to religious stuff, as mandated by those in charge.. Not practical religious stuff, either -- just fluff. Growing up, I learned tons from people in my ward -- how to fix a car, prep a budget, etc. -- but all that's gone. You've hit it on the head -- discussing temple attendance may be interesting to some in the abstract, but it doesn't really offer anything meaningful to the members. Smart phones made my last year of activity bearable.

A lot of people go because they think it's true, even if it's boring (think of it like filling out your tax forms -- boring, arduous, but necessary).

Posted by: TW-RM ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 04:35PM

I totally agree. Lots of talks on sacrifice and tithing as well.

Of course other services were more interesting, the pastors do it for a job and if they did it at the TSCC level, they'd be out of work!

Posted by: diablo ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 04:37PM

As a child the most entertaining thing I found were the hymnal books where someone would write "go to pg 6" and on and on then the last one would tell you you're an idiot or something like that.

Oh, and rummaging through my mom's purse looking for something to eat.

Other than that snoozeville.

Posted by: raisingspecialneeds ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 04:55PM

I have never enjoyed sacrament meetings, or sunday school. Crap, I usually even dreaded RS. Only thing I ever remember enjoying was YWs (when I wasn't bashing heads with my leaders.)

I honestly love my Baptist church. I love doing Bible Study, and even love attending the Sermon and Sunday school class. It's like I was a closet baptist all along, lol.

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 04:57PM

There where several times when I was so bored I legitimately wondered if I were dead.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.