Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 10:08AM

https://www.facebook.com/events/370833659705726/

Broadcast from the Marriott Center in Provo, Utah. Watch at
your local stake center or online at lds.org

Ward and stake council members, their spouses, full-time
missionaries, and other interested Church members are invited
to participate in a special broadcast titled “Hastening the
Work of Salvation."

President Thomas S. Monson, President Boyd K. Packer, and
members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles will share
messages about missionary work and conversion.

For more information: http://www.lds.org/church/events/the-work-of-salvation-missionary-broadcast

From the above link:

President Boyd K. Packer, and members of the Quorum of the
Twelve Apostles will share messages about how members and
missionaries work together in a unified effort.

My guess is that it's a way for members to coordinate with
missionaries to get investigators. "Bother your friends and
co-workers and funnel them into the missionaries." Those
"good neighbors with funny beliefs" will suddenly become a
nuisance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 10:14AM

I hope someone will put together some talking points so I can mindlessly reply to my TBM family's mindless religious advances.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 10:17AM

I wasn't going to watch, but now I know Boyd will be there I probably won't be able to stop myself, he is such a compelling, charismatic character.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 11:24AM

The church condemns masturbation, but this is evidence of the church's own form of collective, mental masturbation--trotting out the whole "We can do it!, we can do it!" thing again with the whole Mormon salvation/exaltation/missionary work/you're not toeing the line/temple/lengthen your stride beating the dead horse routine. (No pun intended, really, unless you think of the church's collective phallus as a dead horse. Which is just creepy. So stop it.) At the very least, it demonstrates not only a total lack of discernment and inspiration by LDS leaders, but--disappointingly--also a total lack of imagination. They need to pump (again, no pun) more money into their Madison Avenue company and come up with something new, something fresh. Maybe they could beat live horses for a change, something like that.

Posted by: mostcorrectedbook ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 02:05PM

You mean dead tapir. Just getting the facts straight. :)

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 12:14PM

Aawwww shucks...I was hoping for a real revelation! With angels and flaming swords and glowing personages and such...

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 12:16PM

Missionaries will be killed by angels with flaming swords if YOU don't return to paying tithing

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 12:25PM

vh65 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Missionaries will be killed by angels with flaming
> swords if YOU don't return to paying tithing

Ooopss

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 12:35PM

I wonder if this will be a recycle of "Lengthen Your Stride?"

One of the well-known ways to increase someone's commitment to a cause is for them to convert others to the cause.

So, same old thing.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 12:45PM

Remember the TV ads in the 1970's that talked about new cars having catalytic converters, and the announcer would breathlessly tell us how it would filter the exhaust, stop smog and clean up the air?

I feel the new announcment will be about as exciting as that.

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 12:50PM

It'll probably be something the church already does, but they'll "re-announce" a slight variation of it at this special meeting to reinforce it with the members.

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 02:42PM

+1 Those "inspired" Mormon world-changing announcements are always something everyone has heard before. If you repeat a lie often enough, it will eventually become the truth.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 01:03PM

Of course, it's going to be something super hyped. The church is constantly doing this, giving the members a turd with a shiney bow on it.

When I was at the end of my mission, we another "amazing" tool to convert. It was a hyped special event. All the stakes in the US were having an amazing film to show nonmembers. We spent months inviting people and bugging members to invite their friends because it was an inspired event that would force thousands of converts into the church if they came and toured the stake house and watched the film.

The film was "On the Way Home". A cheesy film about a whole convert family getting baptized after some one in their family died so they could be forever-family. Needless to say, not a single conversion in the whole stake.

Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 01:11PM

...of them were just breathless with anticipation. They know someone who was lucky enough to actually get tickets and they were sooooooooo jealous.

In the end it doesn't matter what the old farts say or announce. The TBMs will lap it up. They'll post about it on face book and twitter. Then by this time next week it will be all but forgotten.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 01:25PM

My guess is that it will be a more organized and regimented
version of "every member a missionary." When that came out we
were all admonished to be more missionary minded and try to
interest others in the Church.

The problem was that they left it up to us. My guess is that
there will be a new program with people bugging people about how
they're doing and do they have any names yet and reports
filtering up the chain of command. Every member a missionary
transformed into every member yelled at like missionaries are
etc.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 04:28PM

Hey yeah, that kinda sounds like the home teaching program. Leaders come to stakes, see the lousy numbers, yell at the bishops, and the bishops come back to the wards and yell at the elders.

Yeah, that'll work...

Posted by: Testimonyman ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 01:31PM

This is a response to all the new missionaries. I am sure when the Mission Presidents found out they were all getting more missionaries to manage they started to push back and complain. Now that all the extra missionaries are hitting the field the Mission Presidents have been complaining even louder. The MPs are telling Monson what the hell, we couldn't keep the missionaries busy that we already have. What am I suppose to do with 50 more. So, Monson is simply responding to the complaints.

Posted by: X'd at 10 ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 01:47PM

What were the changes/ revelations last Jan or Feb? I was traveling at the time and didn't learn about all of them.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 01:53PM

3 hour church, callings, tithing, raising kids, home teaching, FHE, cleaning toilets, etc. are not enough for LDS, Inc. They have to keep raising the bar by demanding more and more.

This week's homework: member missionary work.

Posted by: pdoffexmormon (not signed in) ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 02:32PM

This is just a guess, and I've not read it any where else in the blogosphere, but what seems apparent is that the church is holding this meeting for 58 NEW mission presidents. For NEW missions. My guess is they're either going to be going into a territory they've never been in before, not saying China per se but something like that; or they're going to be allowed to tract in somewhere they've previously been unable to tract in.

Just my thoughts anyway, it balances the mundane it's not at General Conference or a special special meeting, with the contents being about NEW mission presidents.

x

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 02:53PM

Same old sh!t.

Posted by: muaddib ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 03:02PM

The emperor's NEW new clothes.

Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 03:06PM

"This is a response to all the new missionaries. I am sure when the Mission Presidents found out they were all getting more missionaries to manage they started to push back and complain. Now that all the extra missionaries are hitting the field the Mission Presidents have been complaining even louder. The MPs are telling Monson what the hell, we couldn't keep the missionaries busy that we already have. What am I suppose to do with 50 more. So, Monson is simply responding to the complaints."

I think this and the guess someone came up with before was right - since there is a temporary increase in missionaries with the age decrease to 18, they need a new program so they have something for these missionaries to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2013 03:08PM by raiku.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 03:24PM

You WILL be assimilated !

Posted by: brit ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 04:39PM

You know its nothing major when they make a big fuss about it

The truly big stuff always gets let out the back door with little or no announcement

Temple changes
Scripture changes
Budget / audit changes

Etc

Posted by: Ruth ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 06:06PM

What should you be doing and saying? Who are you?

Posted by: Ruth ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 06:33PM

If the U.S. is bankrupt and everything is upside down,
where will you go for safety and help? If the Southern borders are open to terrorists to flood through daily, you will
see warriors come to your state, your home and take what they want; what will you do? If the NSA knows your name and where you are, then they can have the power to make a case against you now.
The media knows where you shop and what you do with your time. Why is there so much unrest in the middle east? Why is Russia backing the dictator and the U.S. backing the rebels? Do you want to learn Arabic? Do you want to learn Spanish? Do you want to learn Russian? Who do you think will buy or take over the U.S. in the next year?
Do you think giving money to the EPA will stop the Earthquakes and tornadoes?
What will you do when you have no money, no food, no house?
Who will you plead with to care about the needs of your family?
Who will care when you need help?

Posted by: homoerectus ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 06:39PM

Isnt that the same tactic an abuser uses on his wife, or that of a violent cult leader.

Posted by: diablo ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 06:55PM

Are you my Mom?

I get the "I never told you the world's going to end" retraction from my mom but she sure thinks everything's going to crash and I will come running to Utah with my tail between my legs.

I know she doesn't make this stuff up, these evil bastards plant these thoughts into her head.

Evil cult. Bad cult.

Posted by: kokaubeammeup ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 06:47PM

So far the broadcast sucks big time. Nothing special. Lots of new mishies, lots of new mission presidents, blah blah blah, reach out to less actives in love, rely on the spirit, blah blah

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 06:56PM

Give us more money or we will kill a kitten each time a new missionary goes into the MTC.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.