Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 05:56AM

and she'll start pestering me and my brother to go to church. That would be bad.

Not that I'm unwilling, but I'd rather not have the conversation where I tell her I've resigned and what I really think of her church. It would be hard to do without restarting the old conflict, after 6 years of relative peace.

I'm really curious. I see that the broadcast will be archived on lds.org, but do we know if it will be streamed live?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2013 06:38AM by munchybotaz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: smith ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 07:20AM

The big announcement will be that the church is not true. Even though you won't hear the 15 announce it, it is starting to come out in a big way!

Posted by: brook ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 10:40AM

Where are you hearing about a big announcement? When is it coming?

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 07:48AM

Would't that be great? It would have to start small. They'd begin by announcing that the Book of Abraham was no longer to be considered scripture.

Then, over time, announcements would be made until they finally admitted that they weren't God's only true church and just say, "Let's make this a mission to help the poor and the needy and be a real Christian church."

It would never happen, but it would be great.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:29AM

That's what passes for groundbreaking revelation these days.

"We are not just rearranging the deck chairs, brothers and sisters, we are moving them clear to the other side of the Titanic"

Good luck with that.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:33AM

That would be something great. If they made missions into real service missions, I think it might actually attract more members than if they continued with their usual shoving their religion down people's throats strategy, and they would be doing something good in the world for once.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:34AM

I have a hunch everyone is going to forget about this miraculous revalation in about 72 hours

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:50AM

ladell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a hunch everyone is going to forget about
> this miraculous revalation in about 72 hours

Those would be the über-TBMs. Everyone else will forget it in 72 minutes.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:54AM

I must confess I am looking forward to reading what people are going to be writing about it here. Guilty pleasure

Posted by: NoToJoe (unregistered) ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 10:35AM

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 10:20AM

about the church. I hope this doesn't stir things up.

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 10:29AM

They are probably going to announce "Pay Toilets"

Date: June 23, 2013 11:28AM

Funny!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 03:44PM

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 03:59PM

BYOTP

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 10:32AM

I agree, in just a few days from now TBMs will forget what was said and just move on with their lives. Here’s an apostle admitting to that fact. Dallin H. Oaks made this assertion as recorded on this YouTube video at the 4:00 mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g64_UW9_VXA

Oaks states he tries to shake everyone’s hand because “…in a few weeks they won't remember anything that I said. (laugh) There might be one person that was struck with something and would remember it, BUT FOR THE MOST PART THEY WON'T REMEMBER ANYTHING THAT I SAID…”

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 02:43PM

That's a common thing in the church that I think most people are aware of it (since they themselves are the ones forgetting). We had Sacrament meeting first in our ward, so in Sunday School the teacher would sometimes tie in a lesson to one of the talks, and there were times when not a single person in the class could answer the question about the talk since they'd already forgot it, just an hour later.

It was something people joked about in my ward, and a common thing teachers would do at the end of a lesson would be "If you only take away one thing from this lesson, I want you it to be that..."

Date: June 23, 2013 10:39AM

What big announcement? Where are you all hearing this?

Posted by: Hggvgfd ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 10:48AM

Apparently, the church is broadcasting some big thing today. Some wards are cutting meetings so that people can watch it.

Date: June 23, 2013 11:18AM

Whoa! Exciting! Can't wait to hear what it is.

Posted by: malcontentmesagirl ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 11:34AM

I received an email from the elder's quorum that was just a forward from the stake presidency really pushing the broadcast.
Here is a portion of the email for your enjoyment.

"Our hope and prayer are that members will attend this historic broadcast to hear from Pres. Monson and other members of the Quorum as they instruct not only new mission presidents, but all of us. Apparently, a new Church website titled "Hastening the Work of Salvation: A Unified Effort in Conversion, Retention and Activation" will be launched in conjunction with the broadcast (see http://www.lds.org/church/events/the-work-of-salvation-missionary-broadcast?cid=HPL2P05W01025&lang=eng).";

I am not looking forward to the inevitable increase in harassment from neighbors and the in-laws.

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 02:44PM

I got an email about it too, except directly from the church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.