Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kjourney ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 12:20AM

I've had a few experiences the past two weeks with censoring from Mormons for either me or someone else having an opposing point of view. The first was about the bikini immodesty thing. I made a polite, yet opposing comment on my SIL's facebook and got deleted because she didn't want controversy.

The second thing wasn't really even church related, but seemed to ruffle some Mormon feathers. I decided to ask a facebook group of moms their opinion on circumcision. This is a Utah group, not necessarily all Mormon, but it seems the majority are. One commenter who was against circumcision posted a link to a medical video of the procedure. She got deleted by the moderator, yet someone else who left a comment saying "you are wrong and disgusting not to circumcise" didn't. Other comments ensued and basically the whole conversation was shut down.

I don't get why people are so afraid to even read an opinion that is different than their own. If they truly believe in something then what does it matter? Someone's opinion isn't going to change your belief if it really is as strong as you claim it is. I also noticed that people like to pull facts and made up statistics out of their butts to make other's opposing views seem invalid.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 01:29AM

without being able to define good/bad, right/wrong.... where would the sheeple be, What c/would they do?
thus, there's HAS TO BE THE BEST IF NOT ONLY...

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 01:44AM

Because it's not true. If it were true, they would not be so insecure and wouldn't need to have advertising campaigns in the millions of dollars.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 02:26AM

When you "know" you are 100% correct then its hard to see reasons you are not. Cognitive dissonance just isn't fun for "believers."

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 02:32AM

You know, that brings me back to when I was in the singles ward when I was still Mormon. A fellow Mormon in the ward who was on the brink of going ex-mo loved to play the devils advocate, just to get some interesting conversations going. Sort of philosophical type discussions. The Mormons simply couldn't handle it. They'd get so defensive and uncomfortable. They couldn't stand him. I was the only one who had no problem with his little debates (probably since I was a NOM at the time).

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 09:44AM

I saw the whole bikini debate. They sound like Muslims demanding women wear burkas because the men get excited.

If you don't want to wear a bikini, don't wear one. If you want to tell your daughter what to wear, that's your business until she grows up. Beyond that, get over it!

I'm so sick of these religious wags telling other people how to live their lives, and yet most of them cry the loudest when the government tells a coal plant to stop spewing sulfur into the air and water.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 11:26AM

They're devoted to an insular group so that their point of view can be repeatedly validated.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.