Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 11:55PM

Growing up in the cult, I honestly believed that modesty had everything to do with keeping your skin covered up. That is what I had been taught at church, & by my parents.

It wasn't until I was an older teenager in high school that I realized that modesty was really a quality or state of being.

Anyway, I was watching a movie last year, where the characters of a mom & a dad were in therapy with their adult daughter. The family was from a traditional Christian background - from the Armenian church to be exact, & not fanatical or fundemental. The dad called his daughter a whore for what she was wearing - a nice outfit that would have been considered very modest by any Mormon. The character of the dad thougt she was dressing like a whore because her clothes were ostentatious & attention grabbing, not because they were revealing.

The whole scene to me just showed how differently modesty is viewed by the rest of the world, compared to how Mormons view modesty.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: releve ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 12:05AM

You are quite right. That's why I think it's so silly to make teenage girls cover their shoulders and upperarms. They have no garments to cover.

Modesty isn't about how much skin shows, it's an attitude.

I'm a costume designer and I can make a girl look as pure as the driven snow while wearing practically nothing. I can also cover every inch of her body and still make her look like whore.

Posted by: kizdar ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 01:09AM

Having young girls cover up their upper arms seemed to be just "training" for when you have to wear garmies. That way you had no misgivings or any idea you were missing anything like wearing sleeveless shirts or dresses. Thus no negativity regarding wearing garmies. In retrospect it seems like a well-planned ploy.

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 12:10AM

If you're not showing your camel toe, you're being modest.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 12:23AM

I subbed for a class where there was a young Muslim girl wearing full traditional attire.She had a scarf that covered her hair and neck and her body was covered except for hands and feet.However, she looked as if her jeans and shirt were painted on. I have seen hookers with less make up and she didn't mind at all that a couple of guys had their hands all over her. Her whole attitude was that she was hot and knew it.But,hey, she was covered.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2013 12:32AM by bona dea.

Posted by: Long Time Gone ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 12:52AM

And I was always aware of the attitude of, "Look at me! Look at me! I'm so modest and humble!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.