Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: releve ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 09:35PM

I haven't told my friends that I've left the church. I moved a few years ago and all of my old friends live by each other on the other side of town. Two of them are in the same RS presidency, one other is the Bishops Wife. All they ever talk about is church, but they're the friends I've had the longest. They are deluded, but they're nice ladies. On Monday we're getting together for a birthday lunch and they want to go to a movie after lunch. That should be great, but it's not. They want to see Ephraim's Rescue. I guess I'll be too busy to go to the movie. I need to face the fact that I need new friends.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 09:44PM

WELL THE BOARDS ALWAYS NICE! you live in sl county;I could use a friend. If not. You might try other churches. coffee shops.the usual haunts. If u havent told them;WAIT til you establish some new friends .

Date: June 22, 2013 11:10PM

I have thought about going to UU, it's just hard to step out of my comfort zone. But then my comfort zone isn't that comfortable anymore, so I guess I just need to get brave.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 11:17PM

The UU is painless and you'll probably have a really good time. Friendly folks, intelligent sermons.

Posted by: LEELA ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 11:22PM

THERES A UNITARIAN CHURCH CLOSE TO THE Uof U.I know that comfort zone problem. Its hard to brke out of. babystepps I guess.

Date: June 22, 2013 11:57PM

Thank you for all the encouragement.

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 04:15AM

A move offers a great opportunity to make friends with your new neighbors.

I agree it would be ideal to gradually wean yourself off of your old friends, during the time it takes to make new friends.

I don't think it is necessary for you to announce a change in your religion. I have Christian friends that switch churches all the time. Religion is not an issue with most friends.

No one needs as many friends that the Mormons say you need. They just like to recruit as many converts as possible. Mormons judge each other by how popular (what good missionaries) they are.

The average wan has 3-4 real friends. The average man has 2-3. It took me a long time to get used to the phone not ringing all the time, to get used to fewer invitations. I paid more attention to my family and career. I went hiking with my dog, read piles of books, remodeled my house, and sometimes went to movies by myself. Solitude can be refreshing. Be your own best friend. Do whatever you love to do, and you will meet others who love the same things.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.