Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 08:26PM

I went to the LDS.org site and read the announcement for tomorrow night. My take is this.

It's nothing historical. It's about a new program to have the saints work with the missionaries. I have been in the Church over 60 years.

There was an "inspired" program in 1965 to call missionaries to work on building chapels. That was an inspired program. That fell apart after a few years.

Then there was everyone a missionary. That went over like a lead balloon flying through the air.

Then there was everyone fast and pray to find that family. That fell flat.

Then there was everyone give out a Book of Mormon with your testimony written in it. That fell flat.

Then we had the invite a family for dinner and invite the missionaries. An adaptation was invite a family for family home evening and the missionaries. That fell flat.

Then there was the new book out Called to Serve. That was going to change everything. I think they still use the book and that fell flat.

They had 6 discussions and a script for missionaries and that didn't work. Now the missionaries teach the discussions in the order they feel the "spirit." That can't be working either or why the special meeting tomorrow.

Then they had the program a few years ago where Bishops have the responsibility for missionary work in their wards and branches. I think that is a total failure.

Then they started to call lots of senior couples, that does not seem to working from what I have seen.

So it should be interesting to see what the new improved program will be. I for one will not be participating for the simple reason, my religious beliefs are my own business, and
for no one else. If they ask me I am happy to tell them I have been disfellowshipped by the Church, by a kangaroo court and would they like to learn more.

Any program will fail until we have the following happen. I want to see the top 15, oh I mean 12 tell about there conversions they have had with this new program. Walk before they talk is what I call it. Then tell us first hand what lessons they learned. Then teach by example. Show us the stats and the research to show this new program works. I doubt very much that will happen.

I work with CISCO the big internet provider. I have some big news brethren. The younger generation is not on Facebook, they are not on Twitter, they do not like websites. They are on real time only, messaging only. They don't form friendships like the older generation does. They must be connected electronically. They love games. They don't like to read, they can't do a lot of critical thinking. They are not interested in religion, especially Christianity.

Tomorrow will be another disappointment down the road for TBM. As an outsider, I see things with a different world view.

The only thing that would work is if Monson gets up and says "Thus saith the Lord."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: feelinglight ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 08:59PM

It's just another meeting on just another Sunday. Anything to keep you from your family. We just had the week from hell. busy, busy, busy. what was accomplished.? I have no idea....but a lot of meetings were had by all...........I do not care what they have to share - tithing, missionaries, dead dunking, every flipping week.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 09:08PM

I dont think that it would be possible for me to care less

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 09:11PM

A brother went on a 'work mission' in the 60's. They, the mishies, were treated worse than Mexicans building chapels. One day while digging foundation for chapel by hand, they encountered a very large boulder. He asked the foreman to start the backhoe and take the rock out. The foreman, while leaning on the tire of backhoe, never doing any work besides, told my brother and the others to break the rock out by hand. And young guys were paying monies out of their own pockets to endure this bullshit?

Posted by: Oncewasblind ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 09:16PM

Fuck TSCC and Fuck you Joseph Smith for creating this bullshit!!!!!

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 06:00AM

I prophesy in the enlightened name of Jesus Smith that this announcement will be a big 'non event', damp squid, rather than the most important announcement in this generation.

If I am right I must be a true prophet. If I am wrong, don't worry, I was just speaking as a man (still a prophet therefore).

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 01:10AM

http://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/english/wwlt/hasten/PD50020824-member-progress-form-eng.pdf?lang=eng

AnointedOne, you might already be familiar with this form, but I have been far removed from LDS business operations.

This is a tracking form for the missionary work as well as deactivation effort. I fully expect that of they start using computer software or PowerPoint presentations on computers of iPad devices they will also be using a Sales Funnel strategy commonly used in corporations to create, develop, commit/contract and then support customers.

I don't have proof, but have been right on a few other hunches. This form confirms for me that bishops will be acting as a possible liaison between missionary activity and the needs of the upper management. Kind of like a District Manager of about 8-12 sales people. All of this is in software and really will create a massive amount of data and tracking on the membership and conversion process.

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 03:06AM

You are absolutely right about methodology.

This form is the 2009 version of typical forms used for decades. The sales funnel business model has always been employed in missionary work to my knowledge. Before it became so widespread in business, particularly internet marketing.

So, they are taking their old tried and tested model, and updating it with social media marketing and use of tools such as ipads. Continuing revelation or normal business practice? As always, they are slow on innovation.Even their old method was based on the vacuum cleaner door to door salesman, now they are dusting up on outdated internet marketing techniques. I say outdated, because the leaders in any business are re-inventing and creating, the followers are just adopting their past successful techniques.

No revelation from God then with innovative, mind blowing practices? Just the application of marketing strategy by businessmen apostles and their advisers/consultants.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 03:19AM

I imagine them using the Salesforce.com SaaS tools. Very appropriate for lead generation through customer maintenance. Very corporate.

Hopefully the time will come when Americans can review their finances and decide if this is more business than church.

Glad to see you have a strong background on this process, very useful moving forward. Have you been checking out Twitter, haven't seen posts on RfM about Tweets, but a lot of Mormons are excited that #HastentheWork, #LDS, and #Mormon are trending.

Sample Tweet, my favorite so far--

"I'll post what you want me to post..dear Lord. I'll tweet what you want me to tweet." #HastenTheWork #UseTheInternetToSpreadHisWord”

I think the 90 year-olds have bought into some bad corporate consulting. Seems like Apostle Holland is the point man on the project, making your insights especially helpful on such matters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2013 03:22AM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: marcus sphenctor ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 07:49AM

In order to help spread the new and everlasting falseness of the Mormon "church," Monson and gang are going to allow the kids to start using iPads.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 11:23AM

When I first started on my mission, the big inspired program that was going to bring in converts in droves was Fellowshipping -- members schmoozing gentile friends into the church. Surprise, few members had any gentile friends.

Half way through my mission, the new improved big inspired program that was going to bring in converts in droves was Book of Mormon: Key to Conversion -- just get people to read a little of the BoM and pray about it, and they will be converted.

Then my MP had his own big inspired idea: since the church needed more white-collar men to run things, missionaries should show up unannounced and uninvited at various places of business and BS their way in by saying they had an urgent message regarding the wellbeing of the family of the dude in charge. Oh yeah, that would be well received.

Crap like this made it clear the leaders were in no way inspired and that they weren't even that bright.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2013 11:24AM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 11:44AM

I don't know where to begin...

You had me at, "It's nothing historical."

You are more of a prophet than Monson.

I have 3 teenagers. I testify that what you say is true. It is all about now not, history, not religion, not narcissistic postings.

I must confess though that I loved the 6 discussions. I liked having a plan. I liked learning a different language in a religious context.

Not that I got to use the discussions much after the 2nd. Not that I thought anyone I was with was inspired. Not that I had more than a couple of spiritual experiences that mostly had nothing to do with LDS Inc. Not that I converted a single soul.

Funny, how the Big 15 are all about results and new programming and marketing, yet my experience with their missionary program was highly personal. It was something that didn't require much in the way of testifying. It was something that could have been better if it was more suited to providing a simple framework (plan) for a young person to try out and if something grew, there was a way to see that and encourage it in any direction - not just attempting conversions.

These young people are going all over the place to waste time. They may get something special out of it, but if they really figure out what is going on, they can realize it is all some big corporate program that wants results to grow itself.

Not all people can follow sales programs - so not all these kids (now more than ever) are going to do much more than return hope empty handed in their results. There isn't much in the form of "inspired" programs in "the scriptures" so why bother?

Posted by: Testimonyman ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 01:50PM

They realized about 3 months ago they needed a new program for all of the new missionaries. I see Michael Scott telling everbody to get into the conference room.

Posted by: perceptual ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 01:54PM

I don't know how they can get anything to work with the internet around.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 02:02PM

Whatever it is, it will be just WONderful!!

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 04:27PM

I believe I know what the big announcement will be!

They are going to announce that, starting next Saturday, the missionaries will be expected to clean the church toilets with at least one investigator at their side. If cleaning toilets is such a blessing for rank and file members, imagine how much more of a blessing it will be for the missionaries and their golden contacts...

That investigator's just sure to join TSCC after experiencing the joy of cleaning LDS bathrooms...

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 24, 2013 03:24AM

Marketing on the internet, now why haven't other corporations thought of that...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.