Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Curelom Herder ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 03:36PM

I'm a 30-something, married-in-the-temple, RM guy, with the usual story. I've decided not to do the Mormon thing anymore.

The jury's still out on what role alcohol will play in my life. I have no interest in getting drunk, but I've also spent a lot of time in Europe and the non-Mormon world in general and I know that it's important in a lot of settings. So I'd like to not be totally ignorant of it.

To that end, I researched a bit on beers and then did a build-your-own six pack with what I thought would be a representative range of different types. I went with the self-guided approach because I'm a little embarassed to admit to anyone that I'd never had a beer before and wanted my first experience to be alone so I wouldn't feel pressure and wouldn't embarass myself.

So I tried each of the bottles over two nights (3 bottles/night, and I only finished 1 the first night and 2 from the second group). Based on my thoughts below, can anybody tell me what else I should try that I might like?

1. Sam Adams Boston Lager: Didn't seem to be anything special, but the bitterness of it surprised me a little. Not sure if it was the alcohol or the hops.

2. Mud Shark: local ale, seasonsed with coriander and orange peel like a Blue Moon. Didn't care much for it. More bitter than the Sam Adams.

3. Guiness Black Lager: Liked this best out of the first 3. Not as bitter/sour as the first two, creamier. Finished the bottle.

4. Corona: The bitterest/sourest of the 6. I can see where the term "skunk" comes from, because that's kind of what it tasted like. Didn't drink much of it.

5. Stella Artois: Kind of nice, especially after the Corona. Finished the bottle.

6. Blue Moon: My favorite of the field. The orange wasn't as bitter as the Mud Shark, and the beer itself wasn't as bitter. Plus it was kind of smooth and creamy, and I liked the wheat/oats flavor. Finished the bottle.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking I'd like to try a Bock, since I've read they're less bitter and more grain, sort of like a liquid bread.

Like I said, the jury's still out as to whether I even like the stuff or want to make a habit of it, but it's a big enough part of culture that I want to at least be literate and have enough experience to make my own informed decisions. Crazy, right?

Thanks! I mostly lurk here, but it helps a lot in the first stages of my personal apostasy to know I'm not alone and I'm not crazy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: antimarkite ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 03:40PM

I know this is off topic but can I ask where your wife was for all of this? You don't have to answer just curious as this may be me soon.

Posted by: anon for this comment ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 03:45PM

Personally I can't stand beer. I think it' disgusting.

However, I think you have a good approach.

Maybe you should do this with all the different alcohols. Wine could be next. This could take you a couple of years though.

You would still have the hard liquors left, and the bazillion different mixed drinks.

Maybe you should rate and write a review on each thing you try. You could then have a great book to sell for beginning drinkers. Just a thought.

Posted by: Curelom Herder ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 03:47PM

She wasn't there. It was literally just me. But, she's with me on the whole leaving-the-church thing, which is awesome. Actually, she's been waiting for me for a while. She's just not as eager as I am to push boundaries and break rules. She takes a little longer to change, but she'll be okay. No hurry. Anyway, yeah, that's another topic, and I'd like to stay focused on BEER. But good luck, antimarkite!

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 03:51PM

No thoughts..like you, still doing the self guided tour post mormonism. Sadly, I've only tried 3 so far. I like the marqs though, but feel like a sissy when I drink them. I am man damn it, hear me snore, and therefore should like me some beer. Still working on it though. What I found:
1) Budweiser: I didn't like it. Someone said, "put some salt in it." Didn't really help. Bitter. I didn't finish the can though.
2) Corona: Totally agree with you. Despite the really cool advertising, with the beach scenes and all, I could only take 1-2 sips. So bitter/sour..Uhh. Almost threw up.
3) Coors: Liked this a little better. Drank two cans in one setting.

Posted by: nailamindi ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 03:54PM

I hear you on the bitterness. I still think beer is gross, but I've had my best luck with hefeweivens, bocks, and dopplebocks.

Posted by: puckpasser ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 04:17PM

Brewery worker here. In fact I'm at work now!

The bitterness comes from the hops. India Pale Ale types have a lot,

Could fill a page but breaks over.

Posted by: Exmo beer advice ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 04:29PM

I personally prefer beers that are a little hoppy, but not to the extreme. I really like Terrapin Hopsecutioner, Bell's Two Hearted Ale, Ranger IPA, and Furious. Of course, I have my local, craft beer favorites, too. Beer is an acquired taste. Keep exploring. Try pairing it with foods and snacks.

I am not sure where you live, but based on your like of Stella and Blue Moon, you might want to try Sierra Nevada's basic pale ale or a wheat beer like Allagash White. You'll even have more cred among beer drinkers with these than Blue Moon, Stella, etc. Also, stay away from Coors, Corona, Miller, Bud, and etc. They are all the McDonald's of beer--mass-produced, watered-down tasteless garbage.

RfM needs more beer and wine threads.

Posted by: foolmoon ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 04:43PM

I'm personally a HUGE fan of Sam Adams, Stella and Blue Moon. Since Blue Moon is your favorite, I'd suggest you to try Widmer Brothers Hefeweizen, or if you go to a liquor store that has imports, definitely try the german Franziskaner Hefeweizen.

If you want to try something stronger but not too bitter, definitely try the English pale ale style. Sam Adams has their pale ale as well and if you want an imported beer in that style, try Fuller's London Pride. It's my personal favorite :) But not the indian pale ale (IPA) I must add, that one is super bitter.

As for american mass production beers, I think Miller is better than Bud and Coors. You should try all three to make your own decision though. I know people who swear by the bud. lol

I'd like to suggest you to check out the website beeradvocate.com ..... where you can find info on every beer under sun, with reviews from customers.

As for wines, start with the sweeter ones like moscato or riesling. Then if you feel you need something dryer, go for a pinot grigio. Merlot and syrah are also good examples of semi-dry, fruty wines.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2013 09:25PM by drlectersdaughter.

Posted by: pljlv ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 04:47PM

Beer is really a personal choice. There is not one Beer that everyone likes. For me beer goes best with food.
Here are my choices:
Hot dogs while watching baseball, a long neck Bud.
Hamburgers while watching football, Sierra Nevada.
Pizza at your local pizza parlor, any draft beer.
Enjoy and have fun and don't drink too many.

Posted by: Provo ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 04:55PM

I like Sam Adams the best, Boston Lager and Boston Creme. Boston Lager is a little bit on the bitter side, but my only real gripe is that it is a gut bomb. I don't like Blue Moon, it seems that I've some passable ones, and some really bad ones. I've noticed significant variability here from time to time. If you like the citrus thing, then you might try Dos Equis. I like that one too, plus it's a little thinner so that I'm willing to drink more.

Posted by: Provo ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 04:56PM

You should also try tap beer, it's a bit of a different experience.

Posted by: foolmoon ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 05:18PM

Oh, talking about about tap beer... if you're in the northwest (Oregon or Washington), I'd like to suggest you my favorite pub in that area.
http://www.mcmenamins.com/Pubs

Their beer is outstanding, the prices are very reasonable and it's kid friendly. Cheers! :)

Posted by: Japanese RM ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 05:22PM

If, as you indicated, you don't like the bitterness you've encountered, then yes, a bock of some sort may be one you'd like to try. (Hops provide the bitterness you describe, so if you're not a fan, you'll want to go with something maltier, which tends to be a bit "sweeter.")

Dopplebocks and eisbocks are also good but tend to be higher in alcohol content, so be careful. A good barley wine (which, despite the name, is still a beer) might be another option.

You may also want to try something like a fruit lambic. My wife does not like most types of beer but loves lambics. (She also learned that she like Guinness, so you can always surprise yourself.)

Posted by: order66 ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 05:48PM

Hefeweizens, bocks, and wheat beers. Based on your reviews, you would probably like Shock Top. You might try Newcastle, too, or a craft dark brown. Those are pretty mellow and not too hoppy. Stay away from IPA's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2013 05:50PM by order66.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 12:46AM

My son was here for a few weeks. We roasted brats in the BBQ and ate them with mustard and sourkraut.

We washed them down with Shock Top beer: Green Apple and Raspberry. Yummy!

I have a sweet palette and the Raspberry Shock Top was wonderful. I poured it into my favorite coffee mug and added fresh from the garden raspberries!

The other one we drank was Redds Red Apple Beer. Wonderful! The tartness has apple tones of course.

I'm going to be trying the other Shock Tops with slices of orange and lemons in them....:D!

They're a beer I can get used to!

Posted by: Lasvegasrichard ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 06:05PM

How do you go wrong with the number 1 selling beer in America ? Bud Light in the bottle just shy of freezing .

Posted by: Caddis ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 06:19PM

I'm almost exactly the opposite. Blue moon will make the gag reflex kick in. I love me some double IPA's!

Posted by: smo ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 06:25PM

I fell in love with Red Stripe, a Jamaican beer, while killing a few days in Key West (Hog's Breath pub I believe). Still my favorite! Great memories!

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 06:35PM

Since you liked Guinness, try any of the dark stout beers. Oat stouts are good. Shock tops beers are pretty mild on the bitterness and are a wheat beer like blue moon. Try a lambic fruit beer. Those are super sweet. Your tolerance for bitterness will increase the more you drink beer, and you will probably like sweeter beers less.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 11:37PM

Big Rock Brewery in Calgary makes a whole lot of fine beers and ales and their Black Amber Ale is a good one...

Ron Burr

Posted by: checker of minor facts ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 07:53PM

I live in Japan and the locally brewed beers are of a European style mostly. At home I drink mostly the Suntory Premium Malts. I really like the malted taste. I also like the Kiran Lager sometimes. When I go out to lift one with my friends on a Friday night, I like the British brew "Bass Pale Ale" from the tap. A little pricey, but really good!

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 09:07PM

from Deschutes brewery, Try a Chainbreaker White IPA. It is Brewed with wheat and pilsner malt; this IPA has a citrus aromas from Cascade and Citra hops that meld with the esters of Belgian yeast. Very good if you like the Citra taste.
Also the river ale & the blonde are good as well. Sam Adams has a Fat Jack and a Harvest Pumpkin Ale that are great in the fall. Best beer are the smaller brewers & imports.

good luck and have fun.

O' and don't forget to try some coffee as well..

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 09:22PM

From Deschutes too--Mirror Pond. Don't know if it is in Utah, but it's easily found in California.

Posted by: lastofthewine ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 09:43PM

I thought Chainbreaker was fairly unique. Okay, amazing. Love Deschutes, my favorite brewery.

To decide if you really like beer or not pair it with good pizza and good friends (or just your significant other, and the pizza, too, of course).

Posted by: korihortonhearsawho ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 09:58PM

Moose Drool!

Date: June 21, 2013 11:35PM

And also from Montana, Pigs Ass Porter from Harvest Brewery in Belt.

Ron Burr

Date: June 21, 2013 11:34PM

I love Blue Moon...and Guinness, from the keg. I drank Spessart & Speckt and Hofbrau Dark in Bavaria...best beer I've ever drank....and if you like Blue Moon, find a retailer who carries Maui Brewing's "Mana Wheat"...pineapple infused wheat ale....YUM!
And then there's all the good Alberta beers..and Rickards Red form Molson.

Ron Burr

Posted by: mork ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 12:16AM

Try shandies first (mixing lemonade with any standard lager), starting 50/50 and slowly reducing the quantity of lemonade added as you acquire the taste for the bitterness of the hops.

It won't take long before you will find the addition of any lemonade makes the drink too sweet and you enjoy the beer on its own.

Persevere - it is worth it!

Posted by: Bridget ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 08:47AM

Guiness is good and full of iron. Wine especially red good for the heart. Agree with mork try shandy first

Posted by: Mork ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 10:58AM

Hey Bridget. Good to see you here. I see our last thread disappeared :( hope you are keeping well - thinking of you constantly xxx

Posted by: Bridget ( )
Date: June 23, 2013 12:38PM

Hello again, ended up having our wine on sat eve will have to share a bottle another time maybe? Missing you like crazy. Xxx

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.