Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 01:56PM

A twenty some year old guy just told me he went to Starbucks before sacrament meeting one time and sat in the back of the chapel and drank his coffee. The bishop got up and told him (in front of everyone) that coffee was unacceptable. I asked this guy what he did after that and he said he just kept drinkin' it.

Oh man I love ballsy people!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 01:58PM

He just kept drinking it!! I love it!!

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 01:59PM

Get him to sit in back and snort powdered sugar like it's cocaine.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 02:00PM

How would the bishop know it was coffee? They sell chocolate drinks and other drinks also at Starbucks.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 02:02PM

Date: June 20, 2013 02:03PM

... lest ye tempt one another.

Posted by: anon for this comment ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 02:13PM

In one of the wards I lived in, there was a guy who came in late almost every Sunday. He wore jeans and a white shirt. He wore his hair in a ponytail, but was clean shaven. Every Sunday he would walk down the aisle with a diet coke in his hand. As far as I know, nobody ever said a word to him. Probably because he was a new convert and they didn't want to scare him away.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 02:15PM

I don't know where this idea that drinking "coke" was a problem. It was not that way in the 50's to the 80's. We always had Dr. Pepper or Coke, or Pepsi, etc. No problem. Some fanatical nuts wouldn't drink it, but it was not a big issue.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 04:35PM

the coke thing probably came into vogue in the 90s after Pres Hink told the press we avoided cola drinks.

I had a dirt bag RS president who was a guest riding in my own car tell me I couldn't have the pepsi I'd just bought at the gas station as I filled up.

The trip to the Stake center was a three hour trip and my DOCTOR had told me to drink caffeene soda for my ADD because I was nursing and couldn't have my regular Adderal..

She didn't give room for me to tell her...my DOCTOR ordered it...she just sat there in pompous self righteous judgment....

Now, I'd tell here where to stick it, of if I was feeling more civil just smile at her like she's a small child and drink it anyway. :D!

I don't drink soda much or use adderal anymore, but I am finding I like coffee and cream and sugar!

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 05:00PM

Nope, that's when you pull over to the side of the road, look her square in they eye and say...

WALK!

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 09:54PM

"I'm sorry you've chosen to be offended."

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 10:05PM

"I'm sorry you've chosen to be offensive."

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 10:10PM

Had a stake president who would not drink herbal tea because it was a hot drink. With that kind of logic he shouldn't have been drinking hot chocolate or soup imho.

Date: June 20, 2013 11:04PM

Did someone think to offer the idiot iced coffee?

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 11:15PM

Soup is fine ifyou use a spoon, but drinking it is forbidden

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 04:41PM

Well, when my experience in the 60's-80's was that cola drinks (as well as Mountain Dew and other caffeinated drinks) were a big no-no. I remember kids being denied baptism as well as temple recommends because of it.

That's where it comes from.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 04:57PM

The caffeine is a huge mo debate. There were areas where it was as bad as alcohol wrt tr interviews and such. Other areas didn't care and would serve it at ward functions. Another weird mo thing...

Posted by: Checker of minor facts ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 10:01PM

I was a kid in the 60s and 70s and remember just like that too. My mom basically had us restricted to water, milk and kool-aid. After leaving home for Army basic training, I almost over-dosed on Coke and Mountain Dew! LOL.

Date: June 20, 2013 11:06PM

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 09:38AM

In the UK, throughout the 80's, Coke, Pepsi and other cola drinks were equivalent to coffee and tea. a big No No

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 05:42PM

I went to Christmas sunday dressed in a kilt. No one said a thing to me. What a bunch of up tight terds!

Date: June 20, 2013 07:31PM

Posted by: anon for this comment ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 02:14AM

I would have com up to you, patted you on the butt and asked what you were wearing under that kilt.

As a Scot it's my duty.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 02:33PM

I like the response Mel Gibson got when he asked one of the actors in Braveheart "well, what does a guy wear under his kilt." The response: "Your wife's lipstick."

Posted by: Turd ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 07:05PM

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 06:53AM

Huh?

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 07:14PM

Any guy. It was a general statement.

Posted by: freebird ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 07:14PM

In the ward I was in everyone drank sprite or ginger ale. No one drank Pepsi or coke. But my TBM in laws guzzle Pepsi. I also had a very TBM friend in who acted like I was insane when I told her Mormons don't drink soda. So I have no clue what the rule is. I don't think anyone does.

Date: June 20, 2013 07:35PM

Could be he just DRINKS Pepsi. "Swilling" sounds bad for the head of Jesus Christ's Planet Earth downline.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 08:38PM

At one of those "theme" lds dinners one evening, my then wife were in line getting our food (The theme was "Hawaiian night") and when we got to the drink part of the line it was clear plastic cups with lemon-lime drink with salt around the edge of cup, yep..margarita style. So after sitting down I said o look a margarita. My wife went off on me about how I would think alcohol and all and probably wish I had one. which I did but only after her raising hell at me for saying something like that. I drink about 1 beer a year. I just said to her that I did not understand why they would serve such a thing when they think it is evil. Just as beyondashadow stated is what I said to her. this after a couple Sundays before at F&T meeting said how he stopped going to the drive through coffee shop to get his hot chocolate because it gave the appearance of evil and he did not want people (tbm's of course) to think he was drinking coffee.
It was all just weird to me but as usual I got the ripping for questing it.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 12:22AM

I remember Getting Cola "unbanned" at my middle school in SLC in 79 after a Mormon PTA pres got rid of it. There was a lot of discussion in the church about caffeinated soda, and some bishops were asking about it in temple interviews - refusing recommends to cola drinkers. Soon afterwards there was an announcement at general conference that while cola is not recommended or good for you, it is not officially against church standards. As far as I know they haven't sold it on the BYU campus, at least sine the early 80s. But the 7-11 next to campus did a booming business and I know a lot of good Mormons who depend on soda for caffeinated energy infusion. Funny thing is that today I would rather my kids schools not sell soda or sugary drinks of any kind. I am worse than that PTA pres.

Date: June 21, 2013 02:07AM

I had lunch in the CougarEat a couple weeks ago. They sell Pepsi now in the fountain drink machines.

Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 08:41AM

CougarEat? What a disappointing name. Not even "Cougar Eatery", or "Cougar Kitchen", but they decided to be hip by making it one word. Faith in society -- lost.

Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: June 21, 2013 09:32AM

LOL LOve it!!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 07:08PM

Coca Cola = coffee = cigarettes = marijuana = heroin

1 beer = alcoholism and certain death

Rock and Roll = church non-attendance = doubt = Satan

Mad Magazine = laughing at the authorities = lower kingdom

Bell bottom jeans = heavy petting = teen pregnancy

Long hair = disobedience = masturbation = homosexuality

The above equations = tyranny in the home = broken family

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 25, 2013 08:55PM

If I didn't have a cup of java before SM, I would fall asleep. Lucky I don't snore. Anyway, when I started drinking coffee and being awake it helped me to hear the garbage being spouted. Being awake is a danger to moism.

I went to the DC temple once with the 1st counselor in the SP and he stopped and got a can of coke to stay awake. On a TR interview I confessed to using coffee when traveling and getting sleepy. He suggested coke but I responded that coke put me to sleep immediately because of the sugar. So he said to drink diet coke. BTW, coffee works much better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2013 08:59PM by rhgc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.