Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tilliegilman ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 12:51AM

Is the familysearch.org site being used to proselyte? One of my tbm relatives, knowing that I still enjoy family history, suggested that I check out this website. I saw that, at least on the mobile site, registration is now required. I also saw that they offer free online chat and phone help, supposedly with research. Do missionaries man those lines? Should a person who wants to discourage contact from Mormons be scared to use this site? My tbm relative went on and on about how much more user-friendly she thought this site is compared to ancestry.com.

Any thoughts or experiences that you guys can share are appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Not logged in ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 12:55AM

Log in and ask them about magenets. That will tell you if they are missionaries or not.

Posted by: curious george ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 01:04AM

I was curious and did some investigating. I rang up the number they gave and was connected to someone in Utah. I asked bluntly are you Mormon and she answered yes, I then asked if her co workers were Mormon and again she answered yes. She became very evasive as I enquired further into the link between Ancestry.com and the Morg.I believe it was originally started by Mormons though not 100% sure.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 03:15AM

The actual founder of Ancestry.com, John Sittner, is actually a non-Mormon.

Posted by: whiskeytango ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 12:35PM

It has ties to Utah and I am sure like any other Utah company they are full of Mormons but I don't think there is any close ties.

Posted by: Thomas $. Monson ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 03:11AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2013 01:35PM by Thomas $. Monson.

Posted by: skeptic2195 ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 12:10PM

I use both familysearch and ancestry.com. I am hooked on family history research as a hobby.

I can tell you that the online helpers for family search are SERVICE missionaries....that is to say non-paid LDS volunteers who are not proselyting missionaries.

Having said that, I am sure that they would be happy to refer a caller to the real missionaries....ha

Posted by: whiskeytango ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 12:34PM

No. I use Family Search regularly and have used the online help. They are Service Missionaries and seem to be little old ladies. I think the whole genealogy program is at least in concept a missionary "tool" but in practice is not. I think most people using it are just doing genealogy,either non-Mormons researching their history or TBMs doing their thing...I am sure if you asked them though they would hook you up with the elders..

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.