Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: feelinglight ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 10:23PM

Wow- just saw an ad for the Piano Guys (aren't they LDS) on Fox news...available at Deseret Books.....
I may have to stop watching the news....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 10:26PM

yes. I never heard about them until I got in the MTC back in December. Some MORE people that are only famous because the Mormon church endorsed them. It's sad.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 10:28PM

If you like repackaged music that is overly produced than Piano Guys is going to be great. If you like originality and creativity than you should look elsewhere for your music. As far as them being Mormon, I have other, better reasons for not liking their music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2013 10:34PM by jacob.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 10:34PM

Love their creativity. They make music FUN especially for kids that may not be interested.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 02:17AM

Kids will only be interested in music when they are allowed to listen to music that speaks to them, & also be allowed to listen to a wide variety of music as well.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 10:39PM

my TBM professor wouldn't shut the hell UP about these guys last semester. From what she said about them, I thought at least one of them was LDS but I could be wrong. I don't like them personally but I know a lot of people that do. (they're not terrible, just not the style of music I like)

Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 12:00AM

They have their videos on the YouTube "Mormon Channel", so they are officially promoted by the Church. And yes, I agree with Jacob about their musicality. Personally, I can't stand their music. Especially when they collaborated with Alex Boye. *Blech*

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 10:44PM

Billy Joel and Elton John are not LDS.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 01:59AM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 03:51PM

I'm gonna stay with my piano guys:

Elton John
Billy Joel
Rick Wakeman (Yes)
John Lennon
Dr John
Professor Longhair
Fats Domino
Champion Jack DuPree
Liberace

Some of these are gay and some are black. None are Mormon, though the deceased ones may have been dead dunked in some ridiculous Mormon ceremony.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 10:50PM

If you haven't watched Valentina Lisitsa on YouTube then you are missing something wonderful.

She has a photographic memory, born in the Ukraine. She's got several videos to watch. I can watch them in the evening hours when I want something amazing streaming through my veins.

Take a peak and be amazed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QB7ugJnHgs&list=RD02EhEpvIpe-6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zucBfXpCA6s

And if you like J.S. Bach, this is worth watching till the end - utterly impeccable touch and articulation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnangtY3UH0

BTW, when I win the lotto I'm buying a new Bosendorfer Imperial Grand - my favorite piano in the world.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 10:16AM

Posted by: Anon Time ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 01:57AM

Honestly, I LOVE the Piano Guys.

As a total music geek, I couldn't care less what someone's religious affiliation is when music is involved.

Talent is talent.
If I can listen and it makes me smile, well done.

What I love most is that they are making classical instruments look cool. They appeal to a wide age range. Even disinterested teens can watch and be entertained.

Just an honest observation from a Utah ex/non-mo teen :)

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 10:10AM

Wow, what a reason to rip on people who have talent - they're Mormons and their add was on Fox? Really? That's SO fucking shallow.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 10:44AM

I don't think the OP was trying to be shallow. They were just pointing out that it was annoying. But then again, pretty much everything on faux news is annoying (IMO)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 10:42AM

Yeah, I'm old. Get over it. ;)

I just watched their "peponi" video. I liked it. It sounds like a lot of electronic overdubbing, but doing that well is a legitimate skill in and of itself.

Mormons do seem to have a thing for Kurt Bestor type music. It does get old after a while, but IMHO it still beats the hell out of the Osmond's schtick.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 11:09AM

I actually really like their stuff. I think they are pretty good.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 11:26AM

I wanna throw up. I know. I'm shallow, too!

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 11:48AM

This is not the piano guys, but it's a great piano arrangement for the Pirates of the Caribbean theme. I love it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4JD-3-UAzM

Here's a mashup version of the same with a symphony. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNHCDKn4U7c

Last year I went to a showing of Pirates of the Caribbean with a live orchestra. It was fantastic. Definitely a new and fun way to enjoy the movie and well worth the cost of the tickets (10 X or more what you'd pay to see the movie in theatre).

At least the Osmonds did some rock and roll back in the day. They put out some good stuff, wrote their own music, and played their own instruments. They also harmonize very well together. They are not without talent.

My sister likes Kurt Bestor and I think he's about as boring as can be. Not my thing.

I saw something the Piano Guys did and I liked it but I've seen a few other things that were just okay.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 12:12PM

My never mo boyfriend likes them, too. We saw them on PBS one night. He had never heard of them before.

I love the piano. Billy Joel is one of my all time favorites, as well as Elton John.

I actually just ordered their Christmas CD. I don't care if they are Mormon or not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2014 12:13PM by cl2.

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 12:19PM

My family is a music family even though I, myself have no talent. I actually enjoy their music but I enjoy a wide array of music.

I've seen them twice when they came to our midwest city. They are good musicians and they put on a fun live show. It's enjoyable music, I don't hold their religion against them and they don't talk about it in their shows so it's not a biggie to me.

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 01:00PM

Great fun to go to one of their concerts.

I like the piano guys--they are totally harmless fun.

So what if they are LDS?

Kind of campy, kind of poppy, but nevertheless exposure to some beautiful music.

Good for them for doing what they love and succeeding at it.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 03:41PM

I'd seen these guys before and they are talented, I think, but my objection to their music is the same for all "new age" music. It seems to have a single emotional pitch and lacks a musical story. So it becomes boring in the first few minutes and seems to go nowhere. Same, same, same, same, same, . .until it stops.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 03:59PM

It's been done. And John Cage and Phillip Glass were pioneers.

Date: November 22, 2014 04:50PM

Interesting. I looked them both up on youtube.

Posted by: blind mule ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 04:38PM

Shout out to JiminiyCricket for turning my on to Valentina Lisitsa Wow!!

Date: November 22, 2014 04:40PM

I second this. Amazing talent!

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 04:38PM

Although my musical tastes are different from the genres that The Piano Guys typically rearrange, I appreciate what these amazingly talented musicians can do. One of them went to high school with me and used to play impromptu piano tunes as well as his renditions of some Mannheim Steamroller songs. I'm proud of their achievements, and it's too bad that some here think that they're not worth anything just because they're mormon.

When I'm lonely for Utah, I watch this video of theirs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF-Z1A0ujlg

Yet, I'm more drawn to these particular cellists who perform classical music and also rearrange songs like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT3SBzmDxGk and this one that gives me chills right from the start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBzmSKFlbHg

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 04:49PM

i really enjoy them for the most part, i figured they were LDS cause everything was shot in Utah but who cares? at least they are supporting the local economy by shooting and recording in their hometown. much cheaper too. who doesn't love the Star Wars Cello Battle??

Peponi is ok, Alex Boye is hit or miss for me. This isn't Piano Guys at all but I LOVED Pentatonix with Lindsay Sterling doing Radioactive, that was lovely. Don't like Lindsay Sterling much but I enjoyed her with Pentatonix.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.