Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The 1st FreeAtLast ( )
Date: June 18, 2013 11:32PM

First, some background info.:

December 2005 was the last time that I visited my TBM sister, BIL, and their five, LDS-brainwashed kids (one girl, the eldest, and four boys). Gordon Bee The Hinckster was still alive and had "challenged" young Mormons to read the BoM before the end of '05 (so I was enthusiastically informed).

My 15-year-old Mo-bot niece complied full-throttle, spending hours each day during my visit diligently ploughing through the tedious work of fiction known as the Book of Mormon, the plagiarism-heavy "keystone" of Joseph Smith's lies-based religion.

A few years later, my still-TBM niece visited her Mormon grandparents, and since I lived in the same city, I stopped by for a visit. A considerable portion of our conversation was about Mormonism and the LDS Church.

I took the opportunity to inform her that she was substantially ignorant of actual Latter-day Saint history. Why? Because the LDS Church had not taught it to her. Why? To bolster her 'faith' in the organization, its priesthood leadership ("the Brethren", in particular), and Mormonism (by spoonfeeding her LDS whitewash).

She was dubious, so I provided an example: JS had made the wives of 11 men his spouses, and some of them were listed as his wives on the LDS Church's online genealogy record for the so-called "prophet of the Restoration."

My niece didn't know how to react to that info. Understandably, it was an uncomfortable moment for her, but an important one.

Fast-forward to this month: She's 23, lives away from home, and contacted me a few weeks ago. I hadn't heard from her since 2010, and recently learned that she stopped attending the Mormon Church last year.

She expressed an interest in learning about actual Latter-day Saint history, so I emailed links to her for material on the Tanners' website (utlm.org) as well as various illuminating books ("An Insider's View of Mormon Origins", "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View", etc.).

Today, my niece told me in an email: "I went to the library a little bit ago and I found a good book. Its called One Nation under Gods by Richard Abanes. Its quite a big book but very helpful in my search. I briefly skimmed it and the few things I read were crazy. What a pack of lies the church is based on!"

The LD$ Church's deceit has once again been exposed and the psychological control it wielded over the life of one young adult has been shattered. Yet another female has liberated herself from patriarchal, disempowering, and misleading Mormonism.

In the future, my niece will play a key role in helping her brothers out of cultic Mo-ism (hopefully all of them). The torch has been passed from my generation - I first learned about the church's dishonesty at age 28 in 1992, which was before the Internet - to hers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 01:29AM

Thanks for sharing that encouraging story!

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 01:31AM

Wow! Fantastic story!

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 06:47AM

See! Sharing the truth with TBM's is NOT a waste of time. You never know what seeds might be planted.

Posted by: Cymorg ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 07:15AM

Gross. he planted seeds in his niece. how biblical

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 08:16AM

Planting seeds of faith?

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 10:55AM

Thanks for sharing this story with us. I so, so hope that one day my nieces and nephews who are being raised as TBMs will come to me with questions--hopefully while they're still young.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 11:03AM

My niece and nephews were all out before me so I'm the slow one but I'm sure glad you were able to help your family. Hope you reap many rewards in your family from the truth you shared.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 11:11AM

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 12:19PM

Hi, The 1st FreeatLast.

That's very interesting news as she is also my niece. Her dad (my brother) must be freaking out. lol.

Posted by: hope ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 12:44PM

I'm thrilled to death when I hear stories like yours. I know you must be too. :) Love to hear the stories of the slow (too slow) crumble of TSCC.

Posted by: runningyogi ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 11:28PM

Good to see that some are opening their eye's to the full picture and not being led by the blind any longer. Congrats on your Niece. Let the Domino effect begin!

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 01:19PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.