Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 05:48AM

Any volunteers with the abilities to make this happen?

"Someone needs to make this.
I was reading this post and I had this idea.

The video would start with a couple young teen kids playing in a park and one sitting a little bit away from the others. A middle aged man, (looks respected, not necessarily creepy) walks up to the young person who is by themselves and sits down next to them. Then, out of the blue he asks, "Do you masturbate?" The kid is clearly alarmed.

New scene, older man walks up to two kids, "Do you two pet each other?" Kids run away in panic.

Man walks up to young adult couple. "Have you two had sex?" They are shocked, don't really answer. The man continues, "Where does he touch you? Did you have an orgasm? What color is your underwear?"

Scene cuts again to a close up of a young girls face. We hear the same man's voice asking her if she touches herself. The girl is obviously uncomfortable and creeped out. The camera slowly pulls back as the man asks her more questions and we see that they're sitting in a bishop's office.

Anyway, I think that would really help people understand how creepy this whole thing is. Let's make it happen!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2013 01:59PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 06:05AM

Love it! I've said for a long time now that this is one thing that would really hurt TSCC in the media and I'm amazed no one else has really publicised this to date. I hope someone with the appropriate expertise is able to help make this a reality.

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 07:53AM

I read the topic title and thought you were going to bring a hidden camera into a bishop's office and maybe film a youth interview or something..
I have to say I like this idea way more haha. I would absolutely love to see this happen! It would help spread some much-needed truth about tscc.

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 08:02AM

I'll be happy to write and record the soundtrack.

Date: June 14, 2013 09:56AM

Thanks. Please email me at tomphillips@romneysfaith with your contact details. Then I'll put you in touch with any other volunteers.

If you did the script and soundtrack I know someone who will do an animation video and voice overs, like I did of Mitt Romney see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Vyda_FEXg. However, if we want live actors (which is probably preferable), we need other volunteers.

Posted by: TheKinderhooker ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 11:50AM

This group should do it:
http://www.bluecrestpictures.com/
I know them, but I need to keep my exmo status secret. Maybe somebody else can shoot them an email?

Posted by: adeba ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 08:32AM

Sounds like an interesting idea.

I think maybe the video would be more effective if during, the last scene with the girl in the Bishop's office, the girl actually ISN'T uncomfortable. Like it could be more effective if she answers the question like it's nothing, since that would show how the mormon children have been trained to accept questions like that from their church leaders.

I say this, because when I was younger and asked whether I kept the law of chastity in interviews, I never thought anything of it really. I simply always answered "yes" (whether I was or not) and the interview continued.

It's only now looking back that I realize that it's inappropriate. I think most active mormons can't grasp the concept of what's wrong with those sorts of questions, so maybe that should be reflected in the video.

Also, the questions in the last scene need to be realistic. If you went for shock value, and made the Bishop ask the girl questions like "What color underwear do you wear?", mormons won't take it seriously, because questions like that are very rare even in temple recommend, etc. interviews. They'll just say "The bishop never asked me about the color of my underwear".

But perhaps a scenario where the girl admits to passionately kissing her boyfriend or something, and then the Bishop asks for specific details such as how long the kiss was, was there any touching of body parts, etc, to determine how much of a sin the girl committed. That sort of thing is probably more common in Bishop interviews, and many mormons might watch the video and think "Wow, the Bishop asked me that once too".

Another creepy thing in the church involving children is when little children bear testimonies during sacrament meeting and their mother whispers everything to say in the child's ear. Again, as mormons you don't think much of it, but now looking back, it's so robotic and like brain-washing. Really creepy. Maybe a video rendition of that might be effective too.

Date: June 14, 2013 09:48AM

You are right about using more 'usual' questions asked by bishops instead of the extraordinary for shock value.

For instance if the girl admitted 'inappropriate touching' a bishop is likely to ask for more specifics such as:-

"did he touch you (or you touch him) over clothing or under his/her clothing?"

"what exactly did you/he do? Did you stroke his penis, did he climax? Did he insert his finger(s) into you? Were you excited? Did you ask him to stop? Did you push him away or move yourself away? Did you encourage him? What were you thinking of?"

"How many times did this happen, how often? Did you meet together with this purpose in mind or did you just get carried away in the heat of the moment?"

"Have you prayed to confess to Heavenly Father and seek forgiveness? Why didn't you come and confess to me? Does his bishop know of this?"

"How far did you go? Did you have intercourse? Did you have oral sex? Did you feel unworthy immediately afterwards? You do know this is the sin next to murder don't you?"

"Have you told your parents? You should tell them as part of your repentance process."

etc. etc.

How utterly abusive is this line of questions, yet bishops are trained by the church to do just this.

Disgusting cult. No wonder there are suicides committed by young Mormons.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 10:47AM

I think the shock value would be important in this video, however, the questions need not be a generic yes yes no no interview. The questions should be the sort that are asked after a confession is made. I do believe mormons will realize that those are the sorts of questions that are asked when a confession is made and the bishop continues to pry to figure out all the details so he knows how many months of probation to apply while at the same time, getting some new material for the spank bank :)

Posted by: Hikergrl ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 09:14AM

Great concept. In this senerio you're making a great point that there are, no doubt, some pervs/pedophiles who have access to children in this setting and that children are being groomed over years of personal questioning. The addition of the underwear question really drives the point home.

However, I do feel like the majority abuse of children occurs based on the questioning alone. The abuse occurs whether or not the bishop is a really a good guy trying to do his job or a sicko.

Maybe a part two showing yet another side of the abuse that goes on?

I hope this gets done!!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 10:09AM

I like that interpretation because there are so many times over the years that I've thought about my creepy bishop when I was a teenager asking me all those same questions and more. Asking if I noticed a bulge in my boyfriends pants, explaining to me that he can come in his jeans and it would be as big a sin as if we'd had sex, asking exactly where we touched each other, if our tongues were in each others' mouths, and asking over and over about my touching myself, to which I lied over and over and spent so many years with horrible guilt.

I've thought a lot about the fact that it was total verbal sexual abuse and that he was just a pervert. The guy was a high school counselor. If a student came into his office and he asked them any of those questions, their parents would have gone right to the principal. If a guy went up to a couple in the park and asked them any of those things, they'd be arrested. But the thing that bothers me the most is that I know that if I'd told my parents what we talked about in my "interview," and said it creeped me out and I'd never go into his office alone again, they would have been mad at ME. They would have just said that any question the bishop was inspired to ask me was ok.

It's NOT ok. It's never ok for a middle-aged man to take a teenaged girl into his office, shut the door and talk sexual to her. Never. However, I'm sure it's the favorite part of many bishops' jobs.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 02:11PM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 10:37AM

I've always thought it would be a great thing to make, and quite easy, too. One could get a local non-LDS church to help provide an office (shoot--a local insurance office would be just as good, since those provide the same ambience as a Mormon church), and decorate it with a picture of red-robed Jesus, and all.

I actually once wrote a script for this very thing, but haven't looked at it for some time. It's buried somewhere in my computer files.

Posted by: plig ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 11:06AM

dont forget to add the tithing angle in there as well.

the truth always hurts... asking 8 -14 year olds if they are

paying money to corp. is extortion.

"Now Helen.. are you giving one tenth of your gross birthday

money and your baby sitting money to the church so the Church

err' I mean the lord won't with-hold blessings from you and give

you cancer?"

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 11:31AM

for shock value keep the questions what a bishop would normally ask then he does so in a very calm professional manner. but show at the end of the video that the bishop is spanking it underneath the desk.

Posted by: Dent ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 01:39PM

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 12:08PM

perhaps a graphic at the end stating about lack of background checks of lds clergy, and a mugshot or two of convicted perv bishops

Date: June 14, 2013 12:56PM

Excerpts from an email I just sent to a volunteer, who wants to spearhead/produce this?

"Thanks for contacting me. No, I'm not, as yet, spearheading the project, maybe the OP should do that or a volunteer. I merely posted the idea to 2 other boards and there has been keen interest.

So, as to what can you do? Well, let's start with what you are able and willing to do. People are volunteering to write the script, provide soundtrack, film it (but they need a camera) and edit it. We need all those tasks plus actors, minimum a bishop and young woman.

Rather than a lush, professional production it may seem more authentic to have it as spying on an interview or documentary style.

Could even put it out to a "roadshow" type competition and judge best entries. Everyone using a standard script or coming up with their own scripts. Wouldn't need professional camera, most tablets and phones would probably be adequate. Although, if it were Mr. Deity style that will take professionalism.

I can certainly get an animated version done, but I think that would have less appeal. Better to go with real people.

So, xxxxx, how do you want to be involved? Producer/director, any of the above, spearheader (is there such a word?) probably means producer.

Let me know your thoughts then we can hand it over to whoever will be the main producer (you, if you wish).

Let's make it happen.

Best regards,
Tom"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2013 02:07PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 01:00PM

Post it on You Tube and label it "Mormon Bishop interviews youth"

At least "Mormon Bishop interview" as the first catch words.

It does need to be inacted.

The door approach of the two elders with the little old lady who tells them to go away is a great find on YouTube.

So why not a Mormon Bishop interview?

People need to know that these questions are asked of the youth behind a closed door without their parents present!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 01:06PM

Those of us who have had such interviews should provide word-for-word the actual questions asked and the script writer can mine that. Everything should be 100% accurate so that it can be listed in the end credits "All questions are actual questions asked by Mormon volunteer "clergy", no questions were dramatized."

I was asked,

"I have to know if you took your clothes off--you or did he?"

"And then what happened?"

"What did he do when he saw you without clothes?"

When asked why he needed such detailed information, this stake president said,

"It is my job to determine culpability so I need details."

He asked for details of each and every sexual encounter I could remember and had me meet with him monthly (3 mos--then I said enough). This was in the first year after I was converted. I was in my twenties and was engaged to a Mormon man.

Anagrammy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2013 01:14PM by anagrammy.

Date: June 14, 2013 01:12PM

Great suggestion Ana.

I think you would be an ideal main producer (if you were to volunteer). What do you think?

You are an expert writer, extremely knowledgeable, have gone through teenage issues with your own children and you are our resident expert on the Jodie Arias trial, with all of that sexual intrigue/abuse.

How about it?

Tom

Posted by: anon4this ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 01:16PM

A friend of mine went to the bishop she was 18 and pregnant with her boyfriend a new convert. They had already talked about getting married and after the first shock of being pregnant were actually looking forward to becoming parents. So she is 18 he is 19 they sit down at the Bishops Office and confess to having had sex and being pregnant. The Bishop said that as he goes into a different ward than him he has to also confess to his bishop about it. Her bishop said that she is not allowed to take sacrament for 6 months. His bishop told him to get married as fast as possible and get sealed in the temple a year later and to keep it quiet that she is pregnant.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 01:21PM

Most of the world has NO idea of the power given to Mormon Bishops – that they literally represent God in judgment on all ecclesiastical matters – even highly private and sexual matters. A quick borrow of the YouTube video clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g64_UW9_VXA @ 2:30 shows Elder Oaks saying “your action is the Lord’s action.”

This philosophy is bred into the Mormon thought process and sets the tone justifying invasive interviews. Many members are too conditioned to challenge the Bishop who knows he rules over their mortal progression at that moment in the office. A point the world will find appalling.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 01:34PM

Anagrammy has a great idea.

Consider inserting small vignettes spread throughout the video portraying actual scenes of actual conversations. They could be any length. My point is that the listener is constantly bombarded throughout the script of actual real life experiences directly tied to the narrative - like someone else bearing testimony of that same invasive questioning.

I could see the vignettes set up like an investigator interviewing a disguised/shadowy victim relaying portions of their TRUE STORY. The film can say: actual true representation of an event from Salt Lake City, Utah or wherever.

Perhaps with enough really revealing, but WORD for WORD honest renditions, all these images would add weight and credibility that there are many people who are being abused by stake presidents and bishops.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 01:49PM

Yes, my experience took place in California.

I think it's important to show that it is institutional abuse that is taking place all over, not just in Utah.

Ana

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 01:37PM

When I refused to answer some questions, my bishop used the excuse that he was "just a humble servant in Zion doing what the Lord required of him."

Blaming God for asking me things he had no business asking was disgusting to me.

I've never seen it written anywhere that the Lord requires bishops to ask members anything.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 02:33PM

This happened to me...

The Scene: Stake President's office

The Situation: Final Missionary interview just before leaving.

I just sit down across the desk from this SOB Stake President. The first words out of his mouth are, "Well Elder, when was the last time you masturbated this week?"

I was floored to say the least. I wish now that I had flipped his faux walnut desk up over on him thereby amputating his legs and stood over him and said, "Do you remember the exact time and date that you became such an a$$hole?"

If only I could go back and relive that scene it would have ended badly for that arrogant bastard Stake President.

That was over 30-years ago and yet I can recall it like it was yesterday...unfortunately.

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 02:24PM

Role playing:
Sitting at my desk at work and thinking if I were a bishop with a teenage girl sitting on the other side of the desk and asking these kind of questions........

You sick perverted !$!&@&ers.

This little role playing will make you sick and pissed off... Try it and see how it makes you feel!

Now tell me how you really feel about that bishop or stake pres. That had the audacity to ask young kids these kind of questions.

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 02:25PM

You could also do a scene with a young child sobbing, "But, Daddy, I don't want to!" and an angry father shouting, "You will do as I say! It's for your own good!"

This was my personal experience -- because when I was a kid, my bishop implied that my being raped might have been my fault and his job was to make sure that I didn't "encourage" or "enjoy" it. Needless to say, I would cry before every meeting and my father would scream at me that I had to go.

Posted by: Delightsome White Boy ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 02:29PM

The guy in the park must be the same Mormon Bishop freaking out kids and parents as the Bishop Interviewing other Mormon children asking the same question and having them answer him behind closed doors with total sincerity. "Do you have homosexual tendencies?" Would be an awesome question? For park and office.

My Bishop taught me how to masterbate when I was 12. Apparently, he needed to ask me if I did it to get the Priesthood. I said "what is that." He told me in great detail. I said "no," was intrigued and picked up a new lifelong skill. ;) Thanks Bishop Estate Planning Attorney.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.