Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 11:20AM

I'm interested in what the personality trends are for people that leave the church. Are they more likely to be introverted thinkers that are willing to analyze their beliefs? This test takes about 15 minutes. If you take it and post your personality type (ie engineer, chief, dreamer, etc), maybe we'll discover the trend.

http://www.mypersonality.info/test-personality/

By the way, I'm an INTP (engineer), which is manifest by the fact that I'm interested enough in creating theories to make this post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2013 11:21AM by earlyrm.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bratschedan ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 11:23AM

INFP

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 11:24AM

INTJ last time I did it.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 12:02PM

IXTJ, although I identify with INTJ most.

We've had a few of these threads before, and there are more I and T types than the general population, and fewer F types, but not none whatsoever. (Although some here say introverts are more likely to do their socializing online, therefore showing up more often here, where extroverts may need actual face to face interaction and simply may not be online as much.)

There are usually more INTJ types than you'd find in a general survey, of course I remember that point because I am one.

Extroverts are the type of choice for the church, as are those who put more weight on Feeling.
I think we get the typical split of N/S, but the split of J/P is hard to call. I think most NOMs and jackmos are more likely to be Ps... They can see the bad and also see a way to live around it, while a strong J can see the bad and not be able to stand it.
However a strong J is also more likely to have absorbed the mo way of life early and having internalized it as "right and true", not be able to see any reason to stray.

And then you'll see a bunch of people who think personality tests are total bunk, even though they are very useful for learning which styles of communication that others need to communicate effectively.
This test is not for pigeon-holing, it has its uses. And it is not unusual to test differently each time you take the abbreviated version, especially if you're rolling your eyes the whole way through.
;)

Date: June 10, 2013 12:40PM

Amen, rationalguy. Actually, what personality type was Joseph Smith? Here's my guess: ENFP.

Extravert
iNtuitive
Feeling
Perceiving

This especially gels with the theory that Sidney Rigdon wrote the greater portion of the Book of Mormon, because this personality type is easily influenced by others.

(Sorry, wrong spot!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2013 12:41PM by earlyrm.

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 01:21PM

Good post earlyrm- At work I have been around several personality tests around over the years. It has been interesting to see people start using their results as excuses for behavior. LOL. (Even though one test did cautioned against it)

Lots of reasons to leave: Some people think their way out (discover the BS), others for social reasons....each issue might affect personality types differently.

I think we have all seen (or maybe was) that person who cannot live the lie once discovered, consequences be dammed. Others can easily dance around it all…”Tribe” is ALL that matters to them- Is it too strong to call them weak?

Date: June 10, 2013 01:50PM

I think that it is idealist to call them weak. It's difficult to apply your own ideals to other people, because what some people consider a lie is to another a "white" lie, and to another, just omission of information, or to another, "i lied to you for your own good!"

Date: June 10, 2013 02:19PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2013 02:19PM by earlyrm.

Posted by: procrusteanchurch ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 12:13PM

INTJ

Posted by: 4ofusfamily ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 12:16PM

Did it 4 years ago and was an INTJ. Just did a comprehensive one and I'm now ESFJ E 70% S 66% T58% and J 90%. Interesting to see the difference after leaving the church 2.5years ago. My % of J has increased between the two in that time. And I think WinksWinks comment about seeing the bad and not being able to stand it (ie. put up with crap on ANYTHING now) is right.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 12:23PM

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 12:27PM

INTP here. Probably the polar opposite of what the ideal church member should be.

Introvert..
Nope. They want gabbers and persuaders. You best be good at BS.

Intuitive.. Nope. Too hard to fool.

Thinking..Of course not! Self-explanatory.

Perceiving..
"Probing, prefer keeping their options open, reluctant to commit, relaxed about their work, seek freedom."
Polar opposite of what they want as well, right?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2013 12:32PM by rationalguy.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 12:33PM

Definitely an extrovert. There don't seem to be a lot of us here.

Posted by: tamm ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 12:39PM

(lurker here!) I love this subject so I thought I'd drop by and lend a note. I'm an INFJ (protector/counselor depending on where you look). I think that a lot of the inherent traits of this personality type fit with why I couldn't stand being Mormon.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 12:46PM

last time I did this.... INTP

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 12:53PM

INTJ. But I haven't taken it for a few years.

Posted by: nailamindi ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 12:58PM

INTP and an engineer in real life too

Posted by: Hikergrl ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 01:22PM

INTJ "The Strategist"

Posted by: Pathway ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 01:33PM

INFP here. Someone did a survey on this a while back. A strong majority of ex-mormons in that particular survey got an "IN" on the Meijer's Briggs personality test. Appears that the same pattern is holding true so far here with the huge sampling size of 17 people so far. ;-)

Posted by: Pathway ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 01:34PM

MYERS-Briggs...not Meijer's...got groceries on the brain I guess.

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 01:40PM

ISFJ

On the ABCD scale, I am pretty solidly a Type-A personality too. I think that's why I didn't fit in, I have to be in control of situations, and the church trying to control me was painful.

Posted by: Peglet () ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 01:43PM

Last time I took it (and all the times I took it): INTP

haha.. nice to finally meet other INTPs. :)

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 02:02PM

INTP. But I don't believe in personality tests. :)

Date: June 10, 2013 02:20PM

I've been going through other similar posts from several months back (with the risk of double-counting certain people). I've tallied about 45 people. It's amazing how many INTJ (Strategists) there are on these boards. So far, 9 INTPs, 8 INTJs. They should be 4% of the world population collectively, but according to what I've seen, they are 37.8% on these boards (almost 10 times more than the world population!!!).

I wonder if INTx are more likely to take these self-evaluating tests? WinksWinks also suggests that they are more intraverts on the internet. Even if we consider that there are ZERO extraverts here (which is not true -- they are approx 8/45), INTx should make up about 11.6% of introverts, not 37.8%!

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 03:35PM

Since the first MBTI thread I saw on this board, I've thought it is fascinating that as a group we are quite different than "average", but what that really means, I don't know.

Posted by: xnorth ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 02:22PM

ENFP

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 02:24PM

I'm an ENFJ. Being extroverted in the church works for people who fit the mold, but for someone like me who never fit in with Mo-culture it just meant that I got lots of rejection and bullying. This only happened at church, so I know it wasn't just my fate to be bullied and rejected everywhere.

Date: June 10, 2013 03:28PM

I guess this occurred over a year ago. >>>> http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,387461,387691#msg-387691
INTx are 23/59=40% of THEIR sample, as opposed to OUR current 12/19=63% (not including all the other past forums I looked at). Perhaps we have more INTx at this moment because they are more likely to sit around on a computer during the day. I'll let this thread fill up some more before making any further analysis. Perhaps more people will join this thread in the evening!

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 03:36PM

Posted by: Cincinnatian ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 04:01PM

I love M-B. I learned 100 times more about myself learning I am an INTP and what that means than I ever did as a member of TSCC.

Obviously not scientific, but this survey/thread on NOM is interesting.

http://forum.newordermormon.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19168&p=413305&hilit=meyers#p413305

On this survey, 47% of respondents on NOM are NT (Rationals who challenge status quo and change course given new information. See Keirsey Temperament sorter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keirsey_Temperament_Sorter)

Compare that to general population; 15% of males and 6% of females are NT.

The church is run and bolstered by SJs (Guardians who keep status quo and value tradition over logic).

So the friction for many of us is that we are NTs in an SJs church. Not exactly a great fit.

And I agree that JS was probably ENFP (Idealist)

Posted by: Xq ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 04:49PM

INTJ

Posted by: starsapphires ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 05:32PM

INTJ here as well!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 10, 2013 05:34PM

More accurate here would be personalities of exmos who visit exmo forums.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.