Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 12:30PM

I was really fascinated by this link posted in another topic on the temple name schedule:

http://www.fullerconsideration.com/names.php?year=2012

So for a year or couple years it's always the same name on the same day % of the month? i.e. on the ninth day of the month for 2012, it's always Sarah and Dan.

I was wondering, I never went through the endowment, but for those of you who went through often, did you become aware of this schedule or the fact that everyone's new name is the same on the same day? What did you make of it or how did you justify the schedule and the same new names? Were any of you temple workers and told about this schedule and how to explain it if asked by members? I can't think of an obvious way to justify it or why the new name is at all sacred or special if it's the same for everyone that day or is on a predetermined schedule that doesn't take the individual getting the name into account at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2013 12:31PM by raiku.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 12:33PM

I knew that when I went to the temple on the same day of the month that I was endowed that the name would be the same as my name. I put two and two together... but it didn't bother me at all. I thought it was all symbolic anyway.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 01:02PM

Yeah, this was me. I was specifically told that the new name was only symbolic so finding out about the schedule later on didn't bother me.

Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 12:57PM

I never felt the spirit in the temple. Thanks for cheapening an experience that was already cheap for me. Now I just need to double-check what day I got my endowment last year to make sure this is accurate.

Also, as a TBM missionary, I considered telling the veil-master the wrong name to see what happens... I didn't have the guts. I guess they would have found me out! But would they have the guts to tell me that they KNEW I was wrong? Would they deny me entrance to the celestial room?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2013 01:02PM by earlyrm.

Posted by: Erick ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 01:06PM

If you give the wrong name they make you go downstairs and do the the whole getting the new name thing again.

Date: June 06, 2013 01:51PM

What if you "remember" it before they send you down?

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 01:07PM

I had figured something like this was happening when I was in the MTC and had done multiple sessions in a day... But, I also thought that maybe if you go through for yourself, that an inspired name would be chosen... but that wouldn't be fair would it and how would the veil worker have been able to have helped someone going through on their own...

When I found out about the assigned dates, it all made sense. Nothing's inspired, it's all just clockwork, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, that man with dates and names, it's nothing... nothing at all...

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 01:33PM

Transcendental Meditation ("TM") yogis have a system for assigning personal mantras. Depending on the year you learned TM, and your age at that time, you are given your "secret" mantra. So if you go to any TM teacher, telling him you forgot yours, he'll ask you how old you are and when you went through TM training. A little mental arithmetic, and he'll give you your mantra. Like he's intuitive.

http://minet.org/mantras.html

This reminds me of Woody Allen's movie, "Annie Hall." He's walking through a party of trendy intellectuals and New-Agers, and passes by a character actor on the phone, who is saying, "Hello, yogi? I'm all stressed out and I forgot my mantra, can you help me please?"

The whole business is typical of cults: they are esoteric, in that they love to wrap up their nonsense in secrecy and mystery. Now that people can learn the secrets on the internet, they re-package it and call it "sacred." Big freakin' deal.

That's part of the reason I'm an old-fashioned, garden-variety born-again Christian. I know this is inimicable to the large number of atheists on this board, but I am not ashamed of the Bible's message: "I'm a sinner. God's Son died on the Cross to pay my penalty for my sins. My part is to repent and follow Him; God's part is the gift of Grace (forgiveness). This constitutes spiritual re-birth ('born-again'), and I live this way through the ups and downs of mortal life until death. At this point, my 'citizenship' is transfered to Heaven."

I don't claim any advanced spirituality or moral superiority, just that I open myself up to God's love.

Strange and unacceptable to the intellects of lots of people, sure, but there is nothing strange, mysterious, complicated, or secret about it. And you don't need any special priesthood or ritual or Temple or tithing requirement or anything. It's between me and God, plain and simple.

Date: June 06, 2013 01:56PM

Although I'm against religion in all forms, I do agree that non-denominational Christian is probably the best option if you wish to be a Christian. There's no way of being manipulated by living people, to say the least.

Posted by: Um ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 02:28PM

I still think that's plenty strange.

Posted by: randy ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 02:46PM

I wanted to respond to your confession that you are a born again etc...I'm assuming that you use to be LDS and now you have embraced the Born again type of religion as you have expressed. I'm just wondering for you how it is that you don't see that you have just given up one story - The mormon version for the Biblical one. In other words you like the Biblical one, it's a story you are more comfortable with so you go with that now. I'm not an Atheist...not yet anyhow maybe I'm getting there but it seems to me that people just find a "Belief story" that they can accept and feel good about. For one man it's the 7th day adventist gig for another it's the Mormon gig and from reading what you wrote with all due respect it seems to me that yours is the "born again" gig....I personally don't see a lot of difference if it's all based on what a person just "Chooses" to believe...Terrorist believe there are 72 virgins waiting for them if they kill innocent women and children etc...point being in my humble opinion what someone "believes" is just plain stupid and undependable...There are people all over the planet who believe in all kinds of crazy stuff that is just nonsense...so what? Whether you believe in this non sense or that isn't it all the same in the end....just something you choose to believe?

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 02:14PM

I knew that everyone got the same name on the same day. I also knew that they got repeated.

I did not know that it was the same every month based on the day of the month.

My best guess as a TBM was that is was some sort of priesthood categorization mechanism in the next life sort of like the 12 tribes of Israel.

Posted by: icedlatte ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 02:22PM

I didn't know that when I went through, I thought it was some special name, chosen just for me by God himself. I found out a couple months later that it was the same for everyone that day, so even as a TBM I made it a point to tell anyone I knew going through the temple about that, so they wouldn't be disappointed.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 02:23PM

I didn't know.

One time, the first time I did temple work for a dead relative, I was moved to tears..

I was really emotional and absolutely certain that I had been given a sign that she (my greatgrandmother) had accepted the gospel.
The sign?

She got 'my' new name!

*facepalm!*

I am SOOO embarresed.. honestly if you ever tell anyone I'll never speak to you again! ..

Posted by: magnite ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 02:24PM

Went through one time and was given the new name "Jeremiah", the last name of the person I was doing the work for was "Johnson"...I thought for sure the guy was joking & came up with it on his own!!!

I figures out later they they had the same name on the same day...but I always thought they had a prayer meeting & decided.

It was a let down finding out it was all prescheduled on a list somewhere. Knowing that now, I would have gone on a day when the name was "Zenos" or something cool... :?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.