Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exbishfromportland ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 03:09AM

Have you ever thought about that?
Consider this one:
Church version: After suffering severe persecution and the death of their beloved prophet, the church was forced to abandon Nauvoo. Prophetic inspiration led them to the Rocky Mountains where they were finally able to make their home.

What actually happened: Because the citizens of Illinois were outraged over polygamy and other questionable practices of the church, Mormons fled the United States and without notifying the Mexican government of its intentions, or making any attempt to purchase the land, took up residence and assumed ownership of huge tracts of land in an uninhabited area of northern Mexico.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 03:26AM

Or this topical one:

The stone is rolling forth and the work of harvesting souls is rapidly progressing. Truly The Lord is leading this miraculous work.

Actually just means that by adjusted missionary ages there's been a sudden influx of people serving. It is purely an increase of SUPPLY rather than DEMAND. Larger numbers of missionaries may lead to a higher number of conversions, but certainly not in proportion to the salesforce increase and it's not the epic harvesting of souls that they're trying to spin it into.

Posted by: flo, the nevermo ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 03:12PM

Posted by: likeaboss8821 ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 03:18PM

Ive never heard it phrased exactly like that by a LDS leader, though that doesnt mean it hasnt been. Either way, the idea is absolute correct.

Every missionary memorizes and recites often D&C 4. "...The field is white, already to harvest."

Kinda jacked up huh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2013 03:19PM by likeaboss8821.

Posted by: flo, the nevermo ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 03:36PM

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 04:40PM

Yes. On my mission, we didn't go "tracting," we went "spiritual harvesting" or simply "harvesting."

Posted by: likeaboss8821 ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 03:34PM

Nice analysis. Having fun with some economics, it will be interesting to see what happens since even though supply has increased, with certainly no increase in demand, and the price(tithing haha) wont decrease, as economics says it should, due to a floor price(10% or you don't get into be with your family for all eternity). Their is gonna be some SERIOUS surplus in the supply of missionaries.

Basically, individual missionaries will have a lot less success.

My forecast of what will happen: Maybe a little increase in converts per year, but no where near proportional with the increase in missionaries.

That was fun. haha

Posted by: diablo ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 05:37AM

What I hate about the cult is their manufactured "persecution complex."

They are so tormented because of their faith and everyone hates them because they worship the only true god.

People don't like them because they are delusional know-it-alls.

It truly pisses me off how they want to play the vicitm.

I've noticed they are also hijacking the word bigot now.

Stupid Cult. When will it end?

Posted by: odin ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 03:20PM

And the word "hater."

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 11:56AM

And they conveniently let myths continue: i.e. Brigham Young has plans for the SLC temple include strange empty spaces that later turn out to be perfect for elevators.

The truth: the temple was dedicated in 1853 (years before construction begins in earnest), while elevators began use in the USA in 1850 and Elisha Otis shows off his safety elevator at the New York World's Fair in 1854.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 12:32PM

If you want to mess with a TBM's head, talk about how Brigham Young was intelligent and well-read and a carpenter and there is NO way he wouldn't have known about elevators. Act like you think people telling the elevator-inspiration story are insulting the genius leadership of Brigham Young, by implying he would not known such obvious information about his first profession. The TBM won't know where to go. Way funny.

Posted by: 8thgeneration ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 03:19PM

It is a natural tendency for everyone to want to tell your own story in your own way.

And when you are not bound by truth and honesty you can really spin whatever you want into a really faith promoting story.

That's why the church is so good at it.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 03:34PM

Me: Joe Smith was a misogynistic, alcoholic child rapist who hired hitmen to murder dissidents and sent men away on missions so he could marry their wives.

Mormon: Isn't it great that Heavenly Father chose the least among us to restore the gospel to the earth?

Me: (facepalm)

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 06:15PM

Yes!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.