Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wolfsbane ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 11:18PM

It's been 4 months since discovering the truth and resigning. Just when I think I'm doing good with my recovery and go a day without coming to RFM I have a conversation with a TBM and I'm right back at square one. I've been coming out slowly to friends and family. I posted a picture of a delicious alcoholic beverage I had yesterday on a social media site and my TBM cousin in law that I don't even know all that well reamed me for having a drink.

We had a lengthy conversation via I/M and I told him how happy I am out of the church and he called me a liar and told me it's impossible to be happy outside of the church and I need to change my heart. He said that he knows TSCC is true by experiences to sacred to share with me now that I'm an apostate but he will tell me after I come back.

I love how he knows what makes me happy more than I do. I just have to remember that he is a victim, just like I was. I don't hate him. I hate what Mormonism has done to him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2013 11:18PM by wolfsbane.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 11:31PM

If they can "love the sinner but hate the sin," we can "love the
Mormon but hate the Mormonism."

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 12:51AM

I don't mind if someone is mormon, as long a they don't act on those feelings, or try to teach them to our Brownies and Webelos.

Or try to portray it as normal, as in the book "Heather has Five Mommies and One Daddy"

No, it's the lifestyle that is sinful and ungodly--the flamboyant costumes, the furtive touching in secret gathering places, the distinctive speech patterns, their love of Rogers and Hammerstein...

The only hope for people struggling with "LDS" is to valiantly sacrifice their attraction to Joseph Smith and enter into a normal, God-approved religion and make the best of it.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 04:35AM

I grew up in a non-Mo home and it was considered a huge treat to see an R&H stage play. We had records of all their musicals and knew the songs.

I can remember singing "Raindrops on roses, and whiskers on kittens. . ." to my son when he was a baby. And when I sang the same song to HIS baby daughter, my tall, husky son had tears in his eyes and said, "My God, I can remember you singing that to ME!"

Bash TSCC to your heart's content, but please leave R&H out of it!

Posted by: Good Witch ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 10:44AM

Posted by: crookedletter ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 11:40PM

Sounds familiar. Just dropped the exmo bomb on my tbm relatives a couple of days ago. One replied with a lengthy email of lots of personal trials this person has endured and how the spirit has worked to lift her up. Only way to happiness is in the church.

So I was wished well on my journey in a rather final sounding farewell. Hmm. So much for a lifelong relationship with this person. Maybe someone will reward her faithfulness with a shiny new WTF ring. ;) "win the fight!" Haha

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 11:59PM

Too sacred to share. Heard it. Dozens of Times. That's said so that you'll think; "Wow!! I must have missed something!"

Posted by: diablo ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 04:47AM

Your CIL is a dick head and needs to be told that.

I'll do it for you if you don't want to.

please.

Posted by: Probitas ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 10:41AM

Next time he drops the "too sacred to share" line ask him if his experience is more "sacred" than the first vision.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 11:19AM

I love your tagline. I hate Mormonism primarily because of what it does to Mormons.

As far as your experience - I see that so often - someone just did the same thing on facebook. They try to tell me what my experience is like when they have only experienced Mormonism - oh brother.

Posted by: gracewarrior ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 11:21AM

I think the "Too Sacred To Share" card is the ultimate BS that TBMs throw at you. I have had it given to me before. It is their last attempt of power over you. They are trying to throw up a huge smoke screen to put you in doubt about what you are doing. When I was younger,I used to get a little intimidated by that.

Now, I just throw it right back in their face. I can only percieve from my own life experiences,,, I could care less what you might have think you have seen or whatever!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 11:32AM

I've taken many attitudes over the years regarding how I handle Mormonism once I changed my mind about what I wanted to believe.
I had some angst, and annoyance with some of the behavior of the members and leaders that I needed to work through. I had lost all belief in the visionary, metaphysical claims also.

The one attitude that works the best for me now is to be kind and supportive of other people's rights to their religious choices. I do that because that is part of my code for living my life: treat others the way you want to be treated. I gave up the need to be a "right fighter," long ago.

That means I refuse to give others fodder for retaliation - no anger, bitterness, resentment, arguments, etc.
All that is like putting bullets in a gun for them to shoot back at me. And, at my age, I'm just too tired to deal with that stuff! :-)

I don't have a "dog in any fight" or care to be a bother to anyone about their religious choices. I have learned to live a very important principle: that is about them, not me. It's none of my business. (Ya, I know, I'm nosy so this is hard at times!)

I am one of those people who has more fond memories of my life as an LDS woman and mother than not. I have a wonderful family that we raised in Mormonism. Most have made other choices down through the next generation, which is fine and everyone has shown they can be respectful of those choices. Out of order behavior is another subject sometimes though!

So I love Mormons in my life - loved ones and friends.
I have found that negative emotions towards others are really self-sabotage so I have made a supreme effort not to engage in them. Plus I don't like myself when I'm being negative.
I don't think others around me do either.

The upshot: I have found (through trial and error) the most productive way to deal with Mormonism in what years I have left (I hope many, many more) and keep it "low profile" in my life. Ahh..such peace of mind! It also helps that I live alone now, I am only responsible for me. I am basking in a new kind of freedom and gratitude!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2013 11:33AM by SusieQ#1.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.