Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: order66 ( )
Date: June 04, 2013 04:15PM

Last Saturday an almost 3 year old in my stake drowned. He was resuscitated, but in critical condition for the last week.

A few days ago, the following post was put up by his mom on Facebook.

"Last night, our wonderful Bishop, xxxxxx, gave (son) a very powerful blessing. He said that (son) would make a complete recovery!

"(Son) also received another miraculous blessing on Sunday night from our Stake President, xxxxxx. We had just arrived at Children's hospital via helicopter, and (son) crashed as we were racing down the hall to the PICU unit. They started CPR, and pulled me away from him. Wonderful President xxxxxx met us at Children's. He said a powerful prayer and cried with me as we waited for them to let me see my baby. When they let me back, they were still doing CPR, and the doctor pulled me aside and said we were losing him. President xxxxxx put his hands on (son)'s toes, and gave him a blessing that he would recover. Almost as soon as he said amen, they got a pulse on (Son)! It was truly a miracle!"

Early this morning the child died. I have a kid the same age and couldn't imagine losing him like this. My heart is heavy for the family, but seeing things like this make me sick. How long before the parents forget these "blessings" and "promises?" Why is it so hard for people to realize prayer does not work? Blessings don't work? Why is it so easy for us to push these experiences to the side and maintain belief in God, belief in the church, and belief in the priesthood?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2013 04:19PM by order66.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: order66 ( )
Date: June 04, 2013 04:20PM

How long will this mom blame herself for not having enough faith for the blessing to work? I mean after all, a bishop and a stake president promised a recovery. It has to be her faith that was the problem.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: June 04, 2013 04:31PM

Exactly. The faithful will find any reason OTHER than the fact that the Mormon priesthood is not real.

The family might think that they took the blessing for granted and did not pray enough through the night. Or they might think that was God's "gift" of letting them spend "just one more night" with their child. Or maybe even that God is "testing their faith" by this incident. Or god forbid, those giving the blessings were "not worthy" to give them.

Very sad.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: June 04, 2013 04:32PM

I'm sure that she will even be told that my some moron. And she'll hear that "The Lord needed him more than we do." Bullshit! We needed him, he died, and we will miss him forever. Religion makes this all worse.

Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: June 04, 2013 04:54PM

A sad, yet somehow very interesting story. I've had a few surgeries in the last 4 years, and I never got a priesthood blessing for them, because I don't believe in them. Everything turned out fine, but that was due to excellent medical care. Recently I had my ankle fused--a big deal surgery (for me), I can't walk for several months. I didn't get a blessing. Things are going fine, I suppose the joint could fail to fuse and then that would be a complication, which sometimes happens, but it would just be a setback, a bummer, not a result of not getting a blessing.

I am so sorry for your friends loss. I can not imagine losing a child. My heart feels for those people.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.