Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: June 04, 2013 03:30PM

The producers of this ridiculous, yet highly addicting show must like what they see in Utah, because they've cast another person from there this season. Brooks is from Salt Lake and works in sales. Came from a family of 10 kids.
I was only half paying attention last night, so didn't catch if he was drinking or anything. But they sure do like to bring on Mormons and former Mormons, like Jef who won on Emily's season, or Bentley, the "villain" on Ashley's season.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: June 04, 2013 03:33PM

Thank goodness he isn't like Bentley. Brooks seems nice but a little awkward. His parents are divorced but with 10 kids in his family it's very possible he is mormon but I don't really know. He may be like Jef and not currently "active". He has mentioned that he knows Spanish. That could be due to going on a mission, or not. Who knows. He sure didn't mind that Des was trying on strapless wedding gowns. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2013 04:15PM by formermollymormon.

Posted by: Kai37 ( )
Date: June 04, 2013 11:18PM

One thing also that makes me feel that he may be LDS:

He was telling Des that his father was not really a part of his life from age 13-19. So, if you think about it, age 19 is when he could have been ready to serve a mission and really wanting to reach out to his dad. Really wanting to invite him to be a part of his process such as going to the temple for the first time as an elder and wanting to see him at the airport or MTC.

After the date they had, if I was her, I'd send everyone home and keep him around.

Date: June 04, 2013 11:37PM

That's a good point about his dad. I read on one of the spoiler sites that he was raised LDS, went on a mission, but isn't practicing anymore. I do like Brooks, a little shy, but does seem to be in to Desiree. And he doesn't come across as full of himself as some of the other guys.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 12:34AM

I wondered if perhaps his dad wasn't around much due to a demanding church calling.

Brooks is good looking and has a sweet personality, but my first impression that he doesn't have a lot of depth to him.

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 03:57AM

Desiree, unlike Emily and some other bachelorettes, forgot to put "Money" on her list of qualities she is looking for.

Dweebs like Brooks make me suspicious. He seems like he was raised in the basement. Can't dance. Not athletic. Needs a haircut.

Posted by: mjacobson7 ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 12:59PM

He served in my mission before I did in Uruguay. I did see him drinking wine on the show, so I believe he isn't active anymore.

Posted by: Thoughtful ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 01:42AM

My thought also, he is very feminine.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 01:19PM

Brooks also seems quite gay. Not sure whether he is alumni of Evergreen, Exodus, or or simply part of the LDS systematic counseling of gay persons to marry heterosexual persons.

It would be fantastic television (one can at least hope) that he admits to once being gay, but LDS prayer converted him to heterosexual.

That would get LDS Inc some unwanted attention.

Posted by: Hhhmmm ( )
Date: July 30, 2013 05:50PM

I really haven't paid attention to the show or Brooks until last night, July 29, when Brooks let Des Go.. I could not believe how upset Brooks was when he hurt Dez. I think he felt really horrible and CONFUSED..Mostly CONFUSED ! Maybe more than we know. I think he could be a great guy, I think he did not want to hurt Dez at all..He talked about wanting " love " and a relationship, but that's it.
I really started to wonder if he is CONFISED about his sexuality, gay, straight, or what ? He may have been confused by his history and not understand his own feelings. He can't give of himself if he doesn't know who he is ??
I do question if he is Gay..I've been told I have " gaydar" and when I saw him last night for the first intense time, I just don't know. But he is soooo confused, I feel sorry for him. Sounds like he has no support to explore his thoughts or feelings, etc... Hhhmmmm...I think he is a great guy, just CONFUSED!! I hope he gets the support he needs in his life...:)

Date: July 30, 2013 06:14PM

If you think you have good gaydar, but happen to not get it with Brooks, I would question how good your gaydar actually is.

I think that Brooks could sometime tour with a Village People tribute band.

Posted by: Re: Is Brooks gay ? ( )
Date: July 30, 2013 11:32PM

Hi, I have not been watching the show specifically, just as background noise per say.
So, I saw Brooks for the 1st time last night.
My thought is , if he thinks he might be gay and has a strong religious belief that may not be accepting of the gay community and given history of family dynamics, I really don't think he knows what he feels is comfortable or in an environment that would allow him to find himself.
I thought he was going to have a nervous breakdown with Dez ...
I hope he gets the support he needs, I think he is a nice person...

Posted by: traveller ( )
Date: June 22, 2013 05:07PM

The guys seem to know he was/is to some extent.

It also references it in this preview for Monday's show, when on the 2-1 date one guy questions Ben as to why he didn't go to church on Easter in Germany with the rest of them. He said b/c it was Catholic and in German, and MG says something about well everyone else went, even the one who's Mormon.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20711236,00.html

Posted by: Dizzyeye ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 01:41AM

There's are many things that point towards yes but his family home had multiple crucifixes hanging on the wall. Mormons don't believe in displaying crucifixes as a sign of faith. They see it as hanging up a shotgun or a knife.

Posted by: wisechick ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 07:21PM

FYI: prior to home dates, the producers will visit the home. If it is not acceptable for tv viewing, they will make changes. This is done for every home visit. The home visit with Des and Sean last season was to a rented home. The producers felt her home and her parent's home was not suitable to the point where they couldn't "fix" it with props and crucifixes.
Those crucifixes could have been placed there by the producers to stage the home and trick the viewers since there is so much buzz about his possibly being Morman.

Date: July 16, 2013 03:09AM

I noticed the crucifixes, too. From what they showed on TV, I didn't see any "mormon" artwork in their home. What was the bottle Brooks brought into the house? I couldn't tell if it was beer, wine, or something else. One of the men in the house leaned forward a bit and I could see an undershirt but couldn't tell if it was "G's" or just a regular undershirt.

I sure hope he doesn't break Des' heart. She seems like such a nice, down to earth girl that is beautiful inside and out.

Posted by: Kat ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 07:54AM

Brooks comes across to me as needing to "come out of the closet." He appears to be most concerned with making his family, especially his mom, happy. Maybe her brother should meet him. He appears to have at least been brought up in the Mormon faith, if not practicing now. Look how huge his family is.

Date: July 16, 2013 03:02PM

Just watched last night's episode. Definitely not easy to tell just going off his family. I'm getting a gay vibe too.
The girl who does my hair says he was in Uruguay the same time she was for his mission. So probably was LDS, but went inactive sometime after his mission.

Posted by: PammySpi ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 03:16PM

Can someone tell me if they know if Des and Brooks end up together?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 04:05PM

Brooks is growing on me, but he doesn't seem as into Des as she is into him. She seems like a nice girl. I hope that she gets what she wants.

Her preference seems clear at this point -- Brooks, then Chris, then Drew. I was pretty sure that Zak would be eliminated last night, and he was.

I was looking in vain for garmie lines at Brooks's house. I did note the lack of Mormon artwork, but didn't catch the crucifixes.

Date: July 16, 2013 04:11PM

Brooks is looking for a Desmond far more than a Desiree.

Should he be picked, it might bring some attention to the idea that LDS Inc strongly encourages gay persons to marry heterosexual persons and have children.

I hope of the many called, he is the one chosen.

Posted by: UTES ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 01:15AM

If you watch the home visits, there is liquor in the house. Look at the scene where everyone is on the couch. Look at the corkboard bar. THERE IS BOOZE ! HELLL YEAH!!!

Date: July 17, 2013 01:53AM

UTES Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you watch the home visits, there is liquor in
> the house. Look at the scene where everyone is on
> the couch. Look at the corkboard bar. THERE IS
> BOOZE ! HELLL YEAH!!!

Wouldn't it be great if his whole family had resigned?

Posted by: spicyspirit ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 01:22AM

Oh I think Drew is far more in need of coming out of the closet.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 08:34PM

Hahaha. Maybe guys go on the bachelorette to meet the other bachelors.

He was drinking wine with her on their dates.

I suspect he is the one playing hard to get and that's what she likes about him.

The one that creeped me out was that Chris dude's dad - the nose-picking woo-talking chiropractor or whatever he was. (Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm just not into that.)

Sheesh. I can't believe I'm admitting I watched that show. It's so staged and edited. I think it would be far more interesting if she humped them all. :-)

Posted by: anana ( )
Date: July 29, 2013 09:49PM

Embarrassed myself to admit I'm into this show, I googled this topic tonight to see if he is Mormon because he's acting so flaky on tonight's episode. I'm thinking religion and/or sexual issues have thrown up roadblocks for him.

As for why the producers seek Mormons for the show, they are looking for people with inner conflict and who cause drama for the ratings. I know this,yet I'm still as addicted as the next person to these stupid shows!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 29, 2013 10:06PM

So do you think he will show up at the last moment with a change of mind at the finale?

That show would do something like that. It's so edited for drama.

I also wondered if he was a jack mo who somehow is conflicted about religious differences.

Either she dodged a bullet or maybe he will be back?

I'm embarrassed to admit I had it on! What a lame chick show. LOL. At least I was doing other stuff.

Posted by: ck ( )
Date: July 30, 2013 01:51AM

I know his cousin. I don't watch the show anymore but I can ask her what his story is.

Posted by: ck ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 01:53AM

I tried to post earlier but it didn't work.

I talked to my friend and he's inactive LDS, he's been inactive since his relationship with his last girlfriend. He has 2 inactive siblings, 2 active. My friend was just with him and the family in the last couple of weeks. She's not saying anything about his sexual orientation and I have too many social skills to ask!

Posted by: JA ( )
Date: July 30, 2013 08:23PM

Does this picture of Brooks look gay to you? Lol!

http://realitysteve.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Brooks2A.jpg

Posted by: Gay ish picture ? ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 12:53PM

Omg, I have not seen that picture before of brooks. Is that his brother he is hugging ???? The other guy looks gay ish as does brooks in the picture. But u can't judge a book by its cover, but it really appears like a gay couple.
Brooks stated he's tried other girl relationships but they never work out , but ........................
So, I think brooks is torn TRYING TO FUULLFULL HIS LIFE with a woman and have a perfect family and not live in sin, per his fear I'm guessing due to his religion, family or whatever .... I hope he gets the support he needs to be true to himself and be happy....

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: July 31, 2013 04:42AM

I just happened to have "The Bachelorette" on my TV, but wasn't paying attention, not that I actually watch that show, or am into it at all....

Ricardo was a hispanic bachelor, who did mention he was a Catholic, several times. When he had his hometown visit, the cameras were careful to not photograph the religious icons all over the house. They appeared to be a fuzzy blur on the wall. So, I thought it was very contrived to deliberately photograph OBVIOUS religious icons in Brooks's house.

I agree that Brooks will dramatically re-appear (with a shave and haircut) and sweep Des off her feet, and get engaged, and enjoy a year-long free ride of publicity, mall appearances, and shopping on Rodeo Drive.

Bachelorette Des: "I want to go home. It's all OVER."

Host Chris Harrison: "Tune in next week for our special two-hour Finale and live After-The-Final-Rose most dramatic show, ever!"

My gaydar is good, too. Everyone commented about Drew and another guy (I forget his name) and I kept saying, "But, you're missing the one who really is gay." Confused and gay. On National TV, for all to see. No wonder he feels the pressure!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.