Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: antimarkite ( )
Date: May 31, 2013 02:03PM

So I've been thinking about routines. In particular I've been thinking of the rote primary/seminary answers to everything: "read your scriptures, say your prayers, attend your church meetings, blah, blah, blah."

I am a runner and I have always said that, all things being equal, I would prefer a day with a run rather than a day without. A run is just one of those things that clears my head and generally makes my day go better.

So as I have been wrapping my head around this process of getting me and my family out of Mormonism I have been thinking on all of the things I could do now that I have freed up all that time dedicated to those rote answers and practices. What I discovered was this: maybe they are on to something.

Truth be told, I kind of prefer my day when I have something akin to those primary practices to get things started. The beauty of it now is, I don't have to constantly/perpetually/unceasingly devote my time to the same boring repetitive garbage the morg would have me focus on. I can pursue my own interests and seek fulfillment to its fullest. So here is my new primary routine:

1. Read your scriptures --> Feed my intellect something new everyday.
2. Say your prayers --> spend some time everyday in meditation and exercise.
3. Attend your church meetings --> spend some time throughout the week getting out of my own headspace and doing something for others/family.

Oh and also, if I miss a day or a week or a month, who the hell cares!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: May 31, 2013 02:27PM

I'm a runner too. Do you do any marathons?

Posted by: antimarkite ( )
Date: May 31, 2013 02:28PM

I just ran the Ogden Marathon a couple of weeks ago. I will be running another at the end of the summer. You?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2013 02:29PM by antimarkite.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 06:08PM

antimarkite Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just ran the Ogden Marathon a couple of weeks
> ago. I will be running another at the end of the
> summer. You?

I have run the Walt Disney World Marathon every January for the past eight years. Did a couple of Honolulu Marathons in there too.

Getting old, though, LOL. I'm soon to be 62, so one a year is about all I can muster. My schedule just kills my training.

My favorite race of all is the EPCOT Food & Wine Festival in the fall. Night race, and I LOVE it! We live in Arkansas, so it's a fun trip to Walt Disney World a couple of times a year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2013 06:09PM by left4good.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.