Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nailamindi ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 08:43PM

In making the transition from TBM to ? an agnostic? atheist? I've been thinking about how much time I've lost.

I don't mean the years I spent as a TBM - but the eternity after death that I had been planning on. I don't think I realized how much I incorporated this idea of living forever into my life planning until I had to stop doing it. You know how many things you can procrastinate when you think you have forever???

Now that I truly think that I only have this one life to live, I cannot believe how much more precious and beautiful it is. This is it!! If there is something awesome to do, or someplace beautiful to go, I need to get off my ass pronto, because there is no such thing as second chances, just wasted time.

I actually think this idea - of living forever - is something that keeps the average TBM complacent and unaware. Sure you didn't go on that weekend camping trip, because you *had* to go to church, but whatever, you'll have your own planet to camp on later. Ok, you didn't get to do that thing you love because you couldn't afford it cuz you've been paying 10% of your income to the church, but no worries. You've got eternity baby.

The church promises forever then steals today.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:06PM

I so agree. Well said.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:10PM

Wow. So quotable: "The church promises forever then steals today."

Good job and thanks!

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:12PM

Love it. Very well said.

Posted by: orange ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:16PM

None of your life is wasted...it is a learning experience regardless of the time spent. Count yourself lucky you live in a country where you can believe what you want...and start learning something new today and everyday. Now where is that map of Europe I was searching for....

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:58PM

Once I was talking with my totallyyyyyy tbm bishop and happened to mention what I wanted to research in graduate school. He said I could do the research in the celestial kingdom; I needed to get married and have children NOW, in this life.

I didn't.
So glad.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.