Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 04:52PM

I guess people who work for church-owned enterprises are SOL when they get sick. Maybe they can get a blessing from their supervisor to make it all better.

WWJD?

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfaithblog/56374475-180/hours-workers-cuts-employees.html.csp

As the nation anticipates further implementation in January 2014 of the Affordable Care Act, which requires companies with 50 or more employees to provide insurance for their full-time employees, LDS Church-owned Deseret Industries has cut its workers’ hours to fewer than 30.
In doing so, DI, as it is known, will not have to provide health coverage for these employees.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 05:02PM

THE LAW should have been based on FTE Full Time Equivalents; it can be amended to reflect that, ESPECIALLY FOR EMPLOYERS of 50+ people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chinchy/Cheapskate FING LDS CRUTCH!!!!!!

these are some of society's Most Vulnerable People!

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 05:05PM

This was posted earlier too :)

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,909350

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 05:11PM

My comment:

I'm surprised a business associated with the LD$ church pays the workers at all. Why not fire them and make members "volunteer" like they do at cleaning the chapels? I hear that's working really well (roll eyes here). These workers will just get health care through medicad or from the local emergency rooms when they show up and can't pay. Why should the church care about people? It only cares about money. That's why all the talks about tithing.

Date: May 28, 2013 05:13PM

+ So Many I couldn't begin write / illustrate it graphically.

LDS Crutch: Eat S*it & DIE!

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 06:35PM

dk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My comment:
>
> I'm surprised a business associated with the LD$
> church pays the workers at all. Why not fire them
> and make members "volunteer" like they do at
> cleaning the chapels? I hear that's working really
> well (roll eyes here). These workers will just get
> health care through medicad or from the local
> emergency rooms when they show up and can't pay.
> Why should the church care about people? It only
> cares about money. That's why all the talks about
> tithing.

They have done this. Our stake supplied volunteers to work at DI in 2007, I sorted clothes for four hours. I don't know if they are still doing this but I know they did it for a couple of years.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 06:22PM

...but this time it's not just greedy Mormons: this is a nationwide phenomenon.

I am an adjunct instructor at a community college somewhere in the US, not connected to the LDS or to any church. The administration has just announced cuts in hours for all part-time employees, to be sure everybody is really part-time and below the magic numbers. They plan to hire more part-time (and maybe a few full-time) instructors to take up the slack, assuming there are enough people out there with the necessary academic tickets. If not, they will have to cut course offerings.

And it makes no difference if you already have health insurance through a spouse, medicare, or whatever: there are no waivers or exceptions. Thanks a lot, fellas.

Many US businesses are constructed on the model of not having to provide health insurance, and some of us were happy with that. The consequences of this law will be major and far-reaching.

Meanwhile, Best wishes.

Posted by: Other Than ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 06:42PM

> Many US businesses are constructed on the model of not having to provide health insurance...

I'm quite sure if allowed, businesses would use the model of no overtime, no time off, unsafe work conditions and no retirements.

Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should ever be done. Besides the law has a small penalty for not providing insurance. It is not equivalent to the COST of providing insurance, but it does give a break to the good companies out there that already are.

Why should the companies that actually care about the health and welfare of their employees have to compete against those that don't give a damn about anyone (including consumers) in the marketplace without benefit? The race to the bottom in business practices are nothing to be proud of.

Date: May 28, 2013 08:16PM

++++++++++++++++ to infinity.
stockholders/managers are in the Driver's Seat due to competition from third world labor.

Can't move the work outside the U.S. (hospitals)? Then IMPORT the labor to do it with. Boeing has moved LOTS of IT work to India & other places, U.S. labor is intimidated to not press for better wages, benefits.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:29PM

A lot of medical transcription has left the U.S. so your medical records are being typed up by people with English as a second language. Do we believe that medical errors will not go up?

It is all about the bottom dollar for the companies. They don't give a shit about their employees.

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:35PM

Which is why I had to get out of that business not so long ago. Cost of insurance went WAY up, hours down and not a single pay raise in 15 years. In fact, my pay actually went down.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:16PM

Yeah, but the foxes are still guarding the henhouse.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.