Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:58AM

I've been to plenty of mormon funerals but never noticed the temple clothes. (I make it a point to avoid "viewings".)

I don't understand why the image made me think of those "Heaven's Gate" people in San Diego who committed suicide and had purple shrouds pulled over their bodies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 10:15AM

I'm embarrassed for them. It's bad enough that all those strangers saw them naked and stiff, but worse to have them see you in your comical temple clothing. To (quite literally) top it off, the male relatives have to struggle to get the little baker's cap on a dead man's head. A few months ago, my BIL's sons and the undertaker actually had to sit dead BIL up in his casket to get the damn hat on. It was sad, humiliating, and scary for the kids.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 10:23AM

are subservient even after death, their faces are veiled right before closing the lid.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 12:08PM

I chose not to put the veil over my mom's face. No one had the guts to step up to object.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 10:32AM

Been there, done that.

Dressed my TBM Dad for his trip to the CK.

How do we dress a person who dies in a plane crash at sea?
Maybe they don't get into the CK?

After donating my bod to science, I will end up in the fiery furnace.

My liver ought to burn for 3 days

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 12:00PM

Maybe there will be a miracle like with the Macabean Revolt, and your liver will burn for eight days.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 12:20PM

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 10:34AM

The first time I ever saw someone buried in temple clothes or ever even saw temple clothes was when I was four years old and attended my Great-Grandfather's funeral. I watched as they put the baker hat on him and was quite confused...Worse, it reminded me of a recent Bugs Bunny cartoon where Elmer Fudd shot Bugs and moments later Bugs started dancing in a weird-ass ballerina costume that reminded me of my Great-Grandpa's temple clothes AND the "Resurrection"...Worse yet, my parents tried to use the moment to teach me about the "Resurrection" which led me to believe their really was no death and a simple resurrection would cure any disease or disaster and that we would all end up living Happilly-Ever-After with Bugs Bunny in the afterlife....

I didn't get even a "normal" Mormon idea of death until I was eight and my Uncle died.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2013 10:39AM by whiskeytango.

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 11:27AM

It's very unsettling. The first time I saw it was at my mother's funeral. I was 21 at the time and had no idea that temple clothes existed, which tells you a lot about the secret (sacred) nature of the temple. This was in 1995 before you could easily find information about this kind of thing. The whole concept had to be explained to me at the funeral. That was the first time I heard about temple names as well.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 11:59AM

I always thought the idea was bat$#!+ crazy even in my most churchgoing days. Its the last time anyone is going to see their deceased loved one, and to see them in that ridiculous outfit is no way to remember them.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 12:32PM

My husband, who passed in January of this year, wanted to be buried in his temple clothes. As such, we respected his wishes, and two of his closest relatives (plus a couple others) took care of it for him.

In most religions, it's a special honor to dress the deceased for burial. There are often prayers, and rituals performed to honor the dead.

That is true in Mormonism. There are a variety of belief systems in the family. Each one was respectful and honored his choice.He was very ill and we decided against an "open casket" or a "viewing" so only a very few people saw him in his burial clothes.

I have seen others in their burial clothes for "viewings" etc. when I was a believing member.
This time, I did not see my husband in his temple burial clothes, however, I had seen him in them dozens and dozens of times when he was well, robust, and healthy.

Our family took the position that we honor how the person wants to be buried and respect their wishes.
I was fortunate to be able to ask him what he wanted for his "Going Away Party" as I called it! :-) He told me exactly what he wanted, I told him what I wanted, and I emailed the family.
The next day he was unable to walk and hold his own weight again.

It was very special to have all of our children here and for him to approve his services, including the Military Honor Guard (he was a veteran) which our oldest son, Retired Army Major joined. He had the special opportunity of handing the flag from his casket to me! It was the most emotional moment of the services!

His folded flag is in an oak frame (he loved to build with oak) with his name, rank, etc, on a gold marker and sits in a place of honor where I can see it every day!

I have been privileged to witness women singing songs, prayers, washings, done for the dying and been very moved by the care and love shown to someone dying, that they might not even know.

We all remembered and honored a great man's wishes!
I would hope that everyone could have that kind of experience.
It's a honor and a privilege to do so.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2013 12:33PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 02:32PM

Both of my parents were buried in their temple clothes...it's what they wanted... I for one didn't care what they were buried in...

Ron Burr

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 04:09PM

The husband was very ill, in a wheelchair, and could not accomplish that task. There was a lot of fussing and mussing around her head by her brother and bishop. I don't know what actually finally went on.

The funeral itself was very moving, which surprised me. Her close friend, then her husband, then her brother spoke and all honored her memory in tender and gracious ways. Lots of tears and sniffles, not because it was sad but because it was very emotional and clearly about her.

Then the sister got up and gave the "Plan of Salvation" lecture and it was like a cold wind blew through the chapel. Most of the attendees were colleagues and not family nor ward members and many people looked stunned.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:19PM

Cold Wind blew thru the chapel...

Great description of a phony belief system...

Always some Morgbot will get up and ruin the perfect eulogy.

Date: May 28, 2013 10:43PM

One more thing...I have been to many Mormon funerals, and had a bit of concern, initially. But it was short lived.

My husbands funeral service included the "spiritual thought" aka plan of salvation by the bishop, which really surprised me as it was so carefully phrased. It was so well done, very personal about him, no guilt, or preaching, nothing offensive, nothing about my husband. Not one bit.

It was really quite a beautiful personalized view point that did not distract in anyway from my families contributions (prayers, eulogies etc.)

Our family was very impressed and not disappointed at all. The local bishop was very respectful of all of the different religions in attendance, and how many had left the LDS Church.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 04:18PM

I imagine my TBM mormon relatives who after reaching the other side and realized the mormon church is a total farce, thinking to themselves "omg, I can't believe I let them put me in THAT!" lol

It was disturbing to see my female relatives in that garb. I know it's what they wanted. But it just looked so silly and creepy (to me)

No one better dress me in anything. Just burn me up and move on.

Posted by: kj ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:26PM

My TBM sister and the RS president and 2 other ward/close family sisters dressed Mom at the funeral home.

I was relieved that I wasn't asked.

But I remember my DH helped dress his Dad....nonactive/no temple recommend and a Presbyterian Brother helped too.

So what's the rule? Women dress the women. Men dress the men.
But it's not necessary to be TBM to dress loved one? Or is it necessary to be TBM to dress loved one?

More confusion............
KJ/AnonyMs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2013 09:27PM by kj.

Date: May 28, 2013 10:46PM

kj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> So what's the rule? Women dress the women. Men
> dress the men.
> But it's not necessary to be TBM to dress loved
> one? Or is it necessary to be TBM to dress loved
> one?
>
> More confusion............
> KJ/AnonyMs

In all of the funerals I know about, only members in good standing with a current temple recommend may dress a body for burial in the LDS Church. I thought that was a requirement. I suppose it's possible that someone else can do it if no family TR holder is present.

Yes...Women dress women, often with the RS Pres. and family members and the funeral directors assisting.
Men dress men, the bishop, often assists other male family members with the funeral directors assisting.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 10:56PM

As far as I know the funeral director dressed my mom in her temple clothes.The subject never came up and only one sister was qualified anyway and I don't think she was present LET alone participated in the dressing.She would have freaked out.I am positive positive she would have mentioned it.

Posted by: Cali Sallyf ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:58PM

My still donating money but not actively attending mother is adamant that she does NOT want to be buried in her temple clothes. She is quite sensitive about her appearance and thinks they are horribly ugly. So when the day eventually comes and the R.S. sisters come to my mother's NOT Mormon funeral (she just wants graveside rights w/o a funeral) they will have to be disappointed that she not only did not get a Mormon funeral but she did not get buried in temple garments and will have a closed casket. I will, of course, be the bad gal in this matter but could care less. They can bless her grave with any mumbo jumbo they want cause I won't be there to hear it.

Date: May 28, 2013 10:48PM

Cali Sallyf Wrote:

I would like to suggest that your mother leave written, instructions about her burial clothing, and anything else, so her wishes are upheld. An email to close family relatives with the instructions would, hopefully curb any disagreement.
I sent an email to my children for their father and for me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.