Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: smithscars ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:52AM

I really like the letter but what's even more important is that you are trying to show someone you care. That's what's important.

It must be very difficult being gay in Mormonism. I can't imagine why they would want to be in such a stereotypical organization that is probably one of the most sexist, racist, homophobic organizations that the USA has to offer.

I think part of the reason that gay people might want Mormonism acceptance isnt so much that they want to be practicing mormons as it might be that they just want people, and especially family to not continue to reject them but to be able to love them because now they can once the Mormon church stops marginalizing them. If the Mormon church was accepting of gays as they were, even acting out on it, it would give permission to hundreds of thousands of people to stop the hate and show more love.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:56AM

I haven't read the letter, but I can't imagine why a gay person would choose to remain in the Mormon church. There are other churches that are 100% accepting and open to gay people. They are enlightened to the fact there is nothing wrong or sinful about being gay.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 10:01AM

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 04:00PM

Tal did a great job with that letter.

Some people protested Tal's blunt approach, but to my mind only a blunt approach will work. Give the LDS Church wiggle room by being overly polite and the leaders will just pat themselves on the back for telling everyone to be kinder to gay mormons (but not to actually allow them to have gay relationships). This is a bad makeup job that fails to cover the rot underneath.

Besides, Tal took an approach that was as pleasant as it could be in the circumstances.

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 04:14PM

smithscars Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't imagine why they would want to be in such
> a stereotypical organization that is probably one
> of the most sexist, racist, homophobic
> organizations that the USA has to offer.

For me (and probably other gays born in the church), it becomes your worldview. I divided the world into members and non-members. Calling adults Brother and Sister was the same, in my mind, as calling non-members Mr. and Mrs. It was simply their title.

Probably a lot of gay people born in the church are still deluded into believing that the church is what it claims to be. What they need is what straight Mormons need: and informed, objective, and disinterested voice that can point out the flaws in The Book of Abraham. Along comes the Internet. I hope that this information, delivered by a benign voice, can reach each individual gay Mormon man before another one kills himself.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.