Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Every Member a Janitor ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 01:57AM

Posted with permission. A hilarios but true story of the member janitorial program and its unparalleled success(sarcasm):

"My son and I went to clean for a while this morning since it was our families "turn" to clean the church, I thought I would go give it a try. I decided to have us clean the bathrooms, since we have never done it.

We never got a lesson, or even a discussion, on how to clean. When we first moved in I tried to get in touch with another family to clean with us, to coordinate, but they didn't seem interested in coordinating with us. So I have cleaned the chapel and the classrooms, but never done the bathrooms.

First of all, I have no idea what to use to wipe down surfaces. Those paper towels that are more like paper than like towels? They leave a film behind and don't really pick up dirt. I couldn't find the special toilet cleaner that the books says to use. I scrubbed one toilet for like five minutes and couldn't get it clean, no matter how hard I tried. The light in the maintenance room is burnt out, and I had no idea where a light bulb was to replace it. The water in the room that you fill up the mop bucket doesn't work - it doesn't turn on at all, hot or cold. So I ended up "washing" the bathroom floors by spraying the general disinfectant and using those disgusting paper towels to wipe it up. I couldn't figure out how to open the paper towel dispensers in the bathrooms to refill the empty sides, so I didn't bother.

In other words, my son and I were there for one hour, ten minutes. When we left, it hardly looked like we did anything. Seriously, if you walked in right now, I don't think you would be able to notice that anything was actually cleaned, even though we worked hard the whole time. I felt frustrated by the lack of training, or description, or understanding of what I was actually supposed to use, do, or replace. (More than once I thought, "I should have just brought my own cleaning supplies and towels because this is ridiculous.") I spent over an hour simply doing the bathrooms, when the rest of the building was still a mess. I could have been there at least two more hours to get the rest done, but I had other things to do on my Saturday morning. And all three of my bathrooms here at home are a mess, and if I would have used that hour and ten minutes at my own home, I could have gotten all three of my own bathrooms cleaned spotlessly. Instead, the church bathrooms look half-heartedly done, because I didn't know how to use the products. Very frustrating. I don't know if I'll be doing that again.

You are welcome to post the story about me cleaning the church on your forum. I'll tell you one more thing I forgot to include above. My son thought the toilet bowl cleaner wands were actually dusters. He was so convincing, I almost wasn't sure myself. But ew, gross. Imagine using a toilet bowl wand as a duster. And THEN imagine that it was actually a duster, and I used it to clean the toilet bowl! It really felt like a comedy of errors, the entire time.

Oh yeah. While we were cleaning the bathrooms my son asked me what the little garbage sacks were for in the individual women's bathrooms. So he got his first lesson about the female menstrual cycle on Saturday! Other important talks are lined up for the near future."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 02:04AM

Great story. I enjoyed reading it.

Posted by: Every Member a Janitor ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 08:13AM

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 04:09AM

"Imagine using a toilet bowl wand as a duster!"

My RM fiance thought it was a back scrubber!

You did the right thing with the floor since you had nothing else to work with.

I've wondered what it would be like to hire a "Merry Maid" to quietly do one hour of work on "my day to clean" and have her/him fill out a questionare with three lines summing up their PROFESSIONAL opinion.
After doing that for three months take it to the city health department and ask them if a "private" building that 'serves the public' could be sited for 'child and elder endangerment'

Man it sounds like I've only gone from being a "tattletale" of seven years old to an adult whistle blower.!!!

But I can't bear the idea of going into any ward building now, knowing how truly filthy they are.
I hope it is a matter of time before they get knocked up side the head for the public health hazzard they are!

Even stained gas stations are probably cleaner!!

Posted by: Probitas ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 08:43AM

Well the next time you go make sure to watch this Morg produced video beforehand to inspire to do a better job cleaning thunder buckets:

https://www.lds.org/callings/meetinghouse-care/reverence?lang=eng

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 03:03PM

He got teary speaking about the ward buildings! Heavens I cry when I watch a sad movie but to get teary over cleaning a ward building?

Watch right at 6:00 min she said "he didn't have to ask us to do this they could have hired some body and they would get the rewards but I think it is pretty unique that I get a reward for coming and doing something for him".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2013 03:11PM by subeam.

Posted by: Probitas ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 08:40PM

You gotta hand it to the Morg...they know how to sell. Bernie Madoff would make you wait 6 months after contacting him to make sure that you were a "serious investor." He created this elite club atmosphere that on the well "connected" could partake in. Similar to the Morg in a lot of ways...If you do bad, you won't have the "blessing" of paying tithing for a period. They have TBMs believing that it is a "blessing" to take up time on Saturday to clean F***ing toilets and if you can't be there find a replacement you unprofitable servant scum!!! The balls these guys have to make TBMs eat crap sandwiches while insisting they enjoy it or ELSE blessings will be withheld!!! Here comes the guilt train...not doing enough to "magnify my calling...or priesthood...pass the Ajax please"

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 11:11AM

You know I never thought about how the morg just assumes everyone knows how to clean properly. My TBM ex is terrible at it, there's no way she would do a very good job.

Either they hire a professional cleaning company or they train everyone and have members of the bishopric supervise the efforts.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 11:22AM

What? (*gasp*) You mean that isn't a lesson in Young Women's?-"How to clean a bathroom." What about when the young woman marries her returned missionary? How is she supposed to know how to clean ANYTHING unless the Mormon Cult teaches them how? (*shakes head*)

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 03:05PM

We had that at one "fun" young women activity let's clean the kitchen and about 4 months later let's clean the bathrooms.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 11:35AM

What a waste of resources. But since it's someone else's time and effort TSCC doesn't care.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 11:36AM

I worked as a 'San Jan' once in a National Park. My supervisor reminded me to empty the 'band-aid boxes' in the women's stalls...

The women's were dirtier than the men's...

Posted by: sha'dynasty ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 11:40AM

I would have been so pissed if that was me. The least they could do is have a designated area for all the cleaning supplies and a basic set of printed instructions on the wall or something.

I tried searching with no luck (kept coming up with articles on spiritual cleanliness) but aren't there some sort of legal standards for hygiene for a public building?

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 11:42AM

Part of me thinks "What's to teach? a toilet is a toilet. If you dont know how to clean one, sucks to be you"

but then agains I do sympathise with the 'products' that the church buys in.

They probably expect people to bring in their own supplies. It's no different to all the other 'callings' where people are implicitly expected to bring in their own toys, crayons, food, dishes, garbage bags, printer ink, etc

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 02:13PM

Has anyone tried hiring a professional cleaning service and then deducting the cost from your tithing payment?

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: May 29, 2013 03:46AM

hahahahhaaaaaa!
My MIL is a professional cleaning lady, so when it was her "turn" she sent an estimate invoice to the stake presidency, cc'd to the bishop with a notation that her service fees must be paid in full at the time that services were renderred. They never asked her to clean it again, so I assume they got the message. :-)

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: May 29, 2013 11:05AM

happyhollyhomemaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hahahahhaaaaaa!
> My MIL is a professional cleaning lady, so when it
> was her "turn" she sent an estimate invoice to the
> stake presidency, cc'd to the bishop with a
> notation that her service fees must be paid in
> full at the time that services were renderred.
> They never asked her to clean it again, so I
> assume they got the message. :-)

Your MIL is a cool lady! :-)

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 03:13PM

I'm sorry but if anyone *ever* expected me to clean a church bathroom I'd tell them where to shove it. AND they get the tithing money??? An organization worth $30B can't figure out how to budget their own janitorial services and treat their members like slaves. It would be a cold day in hell if I was ever duped by such bullshit.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 03:30PM

The cult not using professional housekeeping services for their chapels is one of the reasons why I will never go back into any of their buildings ever again. I don't want to get sick.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 05:23PM

Simplest way to clean the inside a toilet, no scrubbing needed (outside is another story).

1. Go to the dollar store.

2. Plunk down $1.06 for a 24 oz. bottle of "The Works."

3. Pour about 1/3 to 1/2 in.

4. Let stand 15 minutes.

5. Swish around and flush.

Warning: Contains hydrochloric acid so don't allow children or stupid adults to use. There is no easier way to get the toilet sparking white.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 01:25AM

Be careful of doing this. If the bathrooms are actually clean after your assignment it will become your "full time" volunteer job. : )

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 01:27AM

I have been wondering if TSCC gave any training or instructions about cleaning. Now I know. It does sound very much like they want the members to supply their own cleaning supplies and tools. Could you make it any harder for them? In the video they showed a women wearing rubber gloves to clean. Does TSCC provide those too?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 08:16PM

How many meeting houses would be shut down? Or would members have grounds to sue the church for maintaining a health hazard? Shall we culture a few swabs and see what we find?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2013 08:17PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: popeyes ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 08:32PM

Just say no.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:55AM

The Germans had the right idea. They had some kind of bathroom cleaner that already smelled like urine, so there was no pretending to get the smell out. The toilets, clean or no, ALWAYS smelled of urine.

Posted by: sanitationengineer ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 10:30AM

Did this person have the "recommend" from the proper authority?

1. Do you believe in the cleanliness of the great toilet?

2. Do you believe in how the great flush cleansed for all toilets?

3. Do you believe in only the recent model toilets manufactured since water conservation regulations went into effect?

4. Do you sustain the Great Janitor and his two Assistant Janitors as the only authority on toilet cleanliness? Do you believe only they can authorize the keys to open the meetinghouse to clean the toilets through their local Janitors in Waiting?

5. Do you pee in only the toilets that you are told are okay to pee in?

6. Does your family practice proper toilet cleaning procedures?

7. Do you support, affiliate with or agree with any renegade or otherwise unauthorized toilet cleaning organizations (e.g. Merry Maids)?

8. Do you strive to keep all your toilets clean and make sure not to pee on the floor?

9. Do you use only authorized cleaning tools and supplies?

10. Do you faithfully donate to the toilet restoration and replacement fund?

11. Do you have any other authorized or decreed toilet cleaning obligations and are you current in your obligations to clean those toilets?

12. If you have previously received your toilet cleaning recommend do you keep the principals of cleaning night and day? Do you always wear the sacred rubber gloves when required?

13. Do you have any “accidents” or mis-cleans in your life that the Janitor In Waiting or his assistants should be helping you resolve but are not?

14. Do you feel worthy to clean the sacred toilets?

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: May 29, 2013 10:59AM

It's ok. The cleaning products aren't supposed to actually work. They are manufactured by one of the GA's brother-in-laws, and it is a good way to redirect tithing funds into the private bank accounts of Mormon Royalty.

Posted by: lurker 1 ( )
Date: May 29, 2013 11:20AM

The bathrooms in our church building started to stink real bad. I had to explain to the person in charge of cleaning (scheduler of the members) that at least weekly a person had to dump a bucket of water into each of the floor drains in the bathrooms to keep the P-Trap full so septic tank odors couldn't come up thru the drain. They didn't even know this basic thing about floor drains.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: May 29, 2013 11:25AM

That was one of the reasons I hated doing it. No instruction, improper tools, ridulous cleaning supplies, no safety equipment.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 29, 2013 11:30AM

How to read scriptures & pray while cleaning.

Posted by: Jilly ( )
Date: May 29, 2013 12:56PM

Before the Exodus, didn't Pharoah demand that the slaves in Egypt supply their own straw to make bricks?

Run, Mormons, RUN! While happy, shining spirits scrub toilets full of splattered feces and feel so blessed by following the gospel (I don't recall Jesus ever talking about commodes), you get to pay for the lifestyles of MO's with their famous hiarchy royal surnames and expensive ad space in Charring Cross.

Yeah, I gagged when Bishop Teary Eyes got weepy. Gawd, I hate that organization.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.