Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: May 26, 2013 08:47PM

It doesn't seem like his burial place is a big deal in Mormondom. Did they just dump him in a river? Or is it not known?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 26, 2013 08:55PM

From Wikipedia:

Joseph and Hyrum Smith's bodies were returned to Nauvoo the next day. The bodies were cleaned and examined, and death masks were made, preserving their facial features and structures.

A public viewing was held on June 29, 1844, after which empty coffins weighted with sandbags were used at the public burial. (This was done to prevent theft or mutilation of the bodies.) The coffins bearing the bodies of the Smith brothers were initially buried under the unfinished Nauvoo House, then disinterred and deeply reburied under an out-building on the Smith homestead.

In 1928 Frederick M. Smith, president of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and grandson of Joseph Smith, fearing that rising water from the Mississippi River would destroy the grave site, authorized civil engineer William O. Hands to conduct an excavation to find Joseph and Hyrum's bodies. Hands conducted extensive digging on the Smith homestead, and located the bodies, as well as finding the remains of Joseph's wife, Emma, who was buried in the same place. The remains—which were badly decomposed—were examined and photographed, and the bodies were reinterred.

Posted by: Tyler ( )
Date: May 26, 2013 09:04PM

So they photographed the bodies. Where are these photographs?

Posted by: george ( )
Date: May 26, 2013 10:18PM

Probably in the archives of the RLDS (CofC) church. I have seen photos of the Smith brothers skulls. Hyrum's was must more intact, while Joseph's is badly disintegrated. It probably had to do with the damage/location of the bullet holes. At the time, the Utah first presidency was not happy with the publishing of the photos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2013 10:20PM by george.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 26, 2013 10:39PM

I've seen photos too, but I can't remember what site I was on when I saw them.

Posted by: george ( )
Date: May 26, 2013 10:55PM

Today the three Smith graves are underneath an imposing marble slab at the Smith Family Cemetery, alongside the Mississippi River in Nauvoo. The small cemetery is owned by the Community of Christ church.

Posted by: Joseph Smith ( )
Date: May 26, 2013 11:08PM

Posted by: acdc ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 03:27AM

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: May 26, 2013 11:24PM

Iirc the property where they are buried is owned by the CoC. (Isn't it?)

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: May 26, 2013 11:48PM

Is that why the Pharisee Mormons of Utah don't make much fuss about it, because the CoC owns it?

Posted by: Thomas $. Monson ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 01:38AM

Posted by: DonQuijote ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 03:15AM

Most of Mormon fundamentalism hangs on the belief that Joseph Smith was resurrected. One of the things that brought me to doubt Fundamentalism and soon found my way out of Mormonism all together was seeing the pictures of the skulls. That kills the story of a resurrected Joseph Smith who places his hands on John Taylor to give him the authority to ordain others to carry on plural marriage outside of the church. This has stumped other fundamentalists I've spoken with, and the only response I've gotten was, "well I guess there's a lot we don't know about the resurrection."

Posted by: Perdition ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 07:57AM

The resurrection of Joe Smith.A frightening thought... Surely, somebody in Nauvoo might have had the sense to stuff his mouth full of garlic, drive a sharp, wooden stake through his heart, and sprinkle the corpse with a few gallons of holy water...

Posted by: rickp619 ( )
Date: May 11, 2016 06:04PM

The person writing this knows very little about the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints. Yet, if he is speaking of the Reorganized LDS Church then he could be right.

http://mormonhistoricsites.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Skulls-and-Crossed-Bones-A-Forensic-Study-of-the-Remains-of-Hyrum-and-Joseph-Smith.pdf

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 08:11AM

In a hole that is not deep enough.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 02:57PM

"Photos of Joseph's Dead Body Exist-Death Mask Mismatched with Hyrum's Skull," at: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,908032,908032#msg-908032

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2013 02:57PM by steve benson.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 05:39PM

My wife got all flummoxed once when she found out that they had dug up Smith's remains and re-planted them. She insisted that that couldn't be done because according to the D&C, he'd been resurrected.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 27, 2013 08:01PM

Pop goes the fantasy.

Posted by: Exmosis ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 12:40AM

Why did they make facemasks of Joe and Hyrum? Was that typical to do that? Do they make face masks of all the "prophets"????

Or was that an early American thing?

Why didn't they make a facemask of Emma?

Posted by: alphonso ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 05:20AM

I think historically face masks were done to memorialize the dead. Just like people will snap photos of people in their coffins at the wake/funeral. Something to remember a person by.

Didn't they do a death mask of abraham lincoln?

Also, when they re-interred JS and all at the official plot alongside the mississippi river under that enormous marble slab, the RLDS had a dedication. My tbm friend was in nauvoo at the time and saw the announcement on a flyer. She decided to attend. Very few people attended the dedication. The current church prophet was there with his henchmen and strong-arms. She stood right behind him and he turned around and talked to her for awhile. I want to say it was Howard W. Hunter.

Anyway, who cares right? There a lot of people that died in the past as few can escape. Should we hold memorials for all of them?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 09:50AM

Yeah, all kinds of European cultures, including Americans, did death masks. It was a way of always having the person's image as he or she was at the time of death. I think, for instance, you can go to the museums of many famous people--composers and the like--and their death masks are featured. Plus, they're easy to duplicate, and you can always have a spare on a back shelf in case the real one breaks.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 12:44AM

If these pics of the dead exist have they ever been posted anywhere? COC site possibly?

It would be great if someone could find a link.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 11, 2016 06:32PM

I'm glad he's dead, I would be Terrified to learn 'Resurrected' as if there is such a thing!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.