Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: magnite ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 04:22PM

I am almost divorced. New girlfriend just moved here and has an interview in downtown SLC, and doesn't like the big city. (Last time she had an interview downtown, she almost got run over by a bus...No,really)

She said after the interview "maybe we can go to Temple Square"...I am sure she is just curious since she recently moved here.

As for me, just resigned 2 months ago, still have not got my "FREEDOM LETTER"...not sure I want to set foot on the "sacred ground" ever again...but then maybe I can add something to make it real for her.

Any ideas how I could make it an pleasant informational trip, without looking like a raving jihadist? Or... should I decline the trip...or just keep my mouth shut and let her draw her own conclusions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 04:28PM

I think she will probably notice how "off" and weird TS is on her own. I took my nevermo bf there years ago and we had a great time. He was freaked out by the people though. He said "you can just tell something is wrong with them" lol

Date: May 20, 2013 04:34PM

That is my hope..

Date: May 28, 2013 10:46AM

Update: I talked her into going to the Zoo instead. It was much more enjoyable, and we were able to lunch with a souvenir polar bear cup. Thanks all!!

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 04:37PM

Date: May 20, 2013 04:41PM

*No longer in the TSSC letter

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 05:36PM

Did you need that letter?

Date: May 20, 2013 05:38PM

No, but I am looking forward to receiving it.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 04:40PM

I'd go to temple square:

To hear a good classical concert on the original tabernacle pipe organ - but only if it wasn't momo music.

To enjoy the Holiday season lights - I'm assuming they still decorate since it's a great PR opportunity.

To people watch...do they allow immodestly dressed tourists (especially women) to enter? Or do they have big signs with their dress code posted at the entrances?

I agree with others so far - don't get worked up about it, just let her see the kookiness factor for herself.

Do they still have "artifacts" in the visitor's center, as in "this is what evidence of BoM would look like...if only we could *find* any of it..." ?

Date: May 20, 2013 04:45PM

do they still let people go to the top of the church office bldg? We did that too after we went to temple square. Then we went to the mall and later to a pub. Oh, and we drove to kennecott too, and saltair! He was from Wisconsin so he had NEVER seen anything like what I showed him that day. It was fun though. his fav part was actually kennecott

Posted by: w ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 04:51PM

Visitor center at Kennecott is closed

Date: May 20, 2013 04:54PM

oh dang :(

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 04:46PM

Even as a tbm the forceful sales pitch from the missionaries put me off. That may freak her out too. I'd probably take her, keep my mouth shut and let her judge for herself. You can correct all the misinformation about LDS, Inc. they give her after you have left. If she thinks T.S. is wonderful it may be a clue to get a new girl friend unless it's the flowers she loves.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 04:55PM

Yeah,I took my almost three year old nephew to see the lights and I must have been approached a half dozen times by mishies.You would think they could figure out that a lady showing a toddler the lights wouldn't be interested in a big religious spiel. We were there for the kid and kids that age just really don't want to be lectured.All he wanted to do was was to see the lights,baby

Jesus and the animals and throw pennies in the fountains. He barely had a concept of baby Jesus other than he had something to do with Christmas and certainly wasn't ready for JS and the one true church

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2013 04:56PM by bona dea.

Date: May 20, 2013 05:05PM

To be fair they were approaching all me,but still,way to try to ruin a fun outing for a kid.Subject him to a religious lecture. Just what every two year old wants.

Date: May 20, 2013 05:00PM

It might work better if they had people stationed around the place to answer questions instead of having them swoop down on people. I found it really annoying.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 05:43PM

My kids are now adults and I never brought up Mormonism with them unless they asked questions of me. They found the doctrinal aspects pretty weird on their own. If she's sane, she'll figure it out.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 05:59PM

If she's nevermo she'll have a hard time being respectful and not laughing out loud. People are used to religious pictures depicting people 2,000 years ago. But pictures of glowing Jesus appearing to Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn are hard to take seriously. White German Jesus who looks like he poses for the covers of bodice rippers are snicker-inducing. Then there's the diaramas with captions that say, historical fact #1, historical fact #2, they flapped their arms and flew the moon, fact #3. . ., which whiplash you with the double-take. The sculpture garden depicts this priesthood and that priesthood, which seems convoluted and silly. You realize how patronizing you can be when viewing religious shrines. If they're foreign, you can think, "how exotic and interesting." When its local, you can find yourself thinking, "how can modern Americans believe this?!"

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: May 20, 2013 06:08PM

You can point out the occult symbols and the fine workmanship that went into them.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: May 28, 2013 01:17PM

Take her to Gilgal Gardens first. That should open her eyes and she'll see just how creepy TS really is.

Date: May 28, 2013 05:21PM

Update: I talked her into going to the Zoo instead. It was much more enjoyable, and we were able to lunch with souvenir polar bear cups. Thanks all!!

Date: May 28, 2013 06:09PM

I'm glad you ended up doing something that was fun for you both :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.