Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mia ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 04:50PM

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=modest+definition&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

After seeing the thred about the word modest I had to look it up.

The leaders of the church obviously don't know the meaning of the word. They are not modest themselves. They don't seem to know what it is.

If I knew any young female mormons I would most certainly be discussing the word modest with them. Not because they are, or aren't, but because they're constantly being beaten over the head with the word. They've been told what this word means to a bunch old men. Once again the old buzzards are twisting words and using them to control. It's the pot calling the kettle black. They aren't humble, unpretentious, or any other words that describe modest.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 04:54PM by mia.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 05:03PM

Ah, but that is not what they're worried about. It's the other word:
immodest
Adjective
Lacking humility or decency.

(But I agree with you, in reality)

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 05:13PM

That's a good point.

Sometimes I wonder if they really care about any of it. What they're really after is forcing or coercing the young women to be obedient. They choose fashion to rail about because it's an easy mark to hit. It's a topic that's driven a wedge between many a generation.

The young teenage mormon girls that are dressing like a 50 year old lady (or worse) is so sad. They're old before their time. They're frumpy and look like their self esteem is at a very low level. What those old men don't get is that a girl with low self esteem may be more likely to end up in a bad place than one with a tat, two earrings and a short skirt. Being ignored by the boys, she'll give what she can too the first one who gives her any attention. h

There were 3 YW that my daughter went to church with that ended up having babies at 16. They were always dressed like old ladies. Apparently what they were wearing didn't make for very good birth control. Two of them were actually trying to get pregnant. THAT is what the adults should be concerned about.

Their focus is on the wrong thing.

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 06:29PM

Even when I was TBM I was convinced that one of the main requirements to be a stake or mission president was to be an asshole. I haven't met any that were humble above the rank of bishop. Maybe there are some but I didnt meet them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 06:30PM by albertasaurus.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 06:40PM

Being a male Mormon comes with an automatic pretense. The myth that they have magic "priesthood power."

Posted by: exbishfromportland ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 11:06PM

Several years ago my daughter was going to give a talk on modesty. I decided to go to the New Testament for references. Guess what, there are none. That surprised me. There are also references to the apostles out fishing and it sounds like they didn't take any great pains to cover up on warm days.
Well, what about "virtue" someone might say?
Except the word didn't have the same meaning back then. This is another way the church cons you. If you are wondering about a word in the Bible, go to Strong's Concordance. It gives the original meaning. Virtue meant personal power, not modesty.
Oh, and "Apostle" means someone who delivers a message. Christ didn't call 12 rabbis (teachers). He called 12 apostles. If the current 15 want to be apostles they should teach the Savior's parables, the Sermon on the Mount, etc. and call it good.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.