Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jl1718 ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 12:23PM

Does anyone have an lds answer in regard to homosexuals inheriting the celestial kingdom? In order to reach to highest level you must me married. Are homosexuals expected to marry someone of the opposite sex even though they wish not to? Or are they expected to remain celibate? If they remain single, will god wave his magic wand when they die and the gayness will be swept away? I cannot seem to find a general authority addressing this topic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 12:42PM

if they remain celibate.

Me--since I am still married to a homosexual, though not in a "relationship" with him for over 17 years, my choice should mormons be correct (which I don't believe they are of course)--I'd prefer to stay with my gay husband and share him with 100s of other men rather than 100s of other women.

And if the "gay goes away" from my husband, he pretty much disappears, doesn't he? Gay is what makes him who he is.

From what I remember--you are also gay--so I know I'm not telling you anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 12:42PM by cl2.

Posted by: jl1718 ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 12:49PM

Ministering angels? That's sort of a crappy thing for the church to come up with. Of, sorry sir or mam, you will only be a ministering angel, you will never have the opportunity to reach the same level of glory as the rest of us.

Thanks for your insight though, the church is seriously screwed up.

Props to you for sticking with your gay husband, must have been hard at first, hope you found some peace now.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 03:21PM

How about the black people sealed as servants in the very early church. Where do they rank next to ministering angels, I wonder?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 03:39PM

we just haven't gotten divorced. He left me over 17 years ago and blasted out of the closet. I knew he was gay when I married 29 years ago. He wanted to get married. He had an extensive past, but still wanted to get married. The leaders were very much involved.

We finally made peace about 10 or so years ago. His partner at the time pushed him to ease up on our kids and it took a little more time for his partner to have him ease up on me. Now I'm friends with that old partner. My ex and I share the same home--because it is big enough and cheaper for both of us. Right now, my boyfriend is sharing it with us while he sells his house and buys another one. My ex has a boyfriend, too--and our 27-year-old son lives here, too, for now.

But we are best friends. We have chosen not to get a divorce for many reasons, one is that I need insurance.

I'm very supportive of him and his life. I left the church solely over this issue--long before I found ex-mormon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 03:41PM by cl2.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 12:49PM

Elder Bruce C. Hafen, a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy, speaking at the 19th annual conference of Evergreen International said:

"If you are faithful, on resurrection morning -- and maybe even before then -- you will rise with normal attractions for the opposite sex."

Posted by: shlee ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 01:10PM

No way! What year was this?!

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 01:19PM

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 02:37PM

I never knew it was articulated directly. Thanks to bro. Hafen for letting me know what I already suspected.. They think it's a sin/abnormality like a club foot or missing limb and will be "cured" in the afterlife. What a bunch of pompous, deluded douchebags.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 01:07PM

The current "doctrine" according to the "wonderful" new propaganda website "Mormons and Gays" (Google it, it's the official church website on the topic) is the following:

- First the church thinks homosexuality is still a sin "From a public relations perspective it would be easier for the Church to simply accept homosexual behavior. That we cannot
do, for God’s law is not ours to change." (from the church's website)

- "Unlike in times past, the Church does not necessarily advise those with same-sex attraction to marry those of the opposite sex" (from the church's website) So, officially, they no longer encourage Homosexuals to get married, they did for years ruining countless lives. Many bishops have yet to get the memo and some still do encourage gays to "marry the gay away". If you decide to find someone and get married to a member of the opposite sex, they will support you and you get everything, godhood, thousands of spirit babies, the works. God will even fix the whole homosexual thing so that won't be a problem.

- "Though some people, including those resisting same-sex attraction, may not have the opportunity to marry a person of the opposite sex in this life, a just God will provide them with ample opportunity to do so in the next. We can all live life in the full context of who we are, which is much broader than sexual attraction." (from the church's website) So, Homosexuals that remain celibate can attain the celestial kingdom, and God will give them a spouse.

- After death, all Homosexuals become straight, if they were in love with someone while they were alive, too bad, maybe they will be buddies. (Imagine telling the african american community that they will become white after they die, how do you think that would go over. Add in that they won't love who they found love with in life and I assure you that it probably wouldn't be a good idea)

- "...a person’s attraction to the same sex can be addressed and borne as a mortal test." (from the church's website) Remember that Mormon's believe that we pick our life challenges... So, people picked Homosexuality as their challenge to overcome... Yes, they did this to themselves, they have no one else to blame.

- You are better off dead, yes, you really are. God will make you straight, give you a spouse and you'll live happily ever after... but only after you die, for now you must remain celibate and alone and a second class citizen. Homosexuality is the root cause of all your problems, if you die, then it all gets better, all is forgiven.

In other words, the answer to your question, is that God will work it out later, we just don't want them to get married now, no matter what.

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 01:27PM

I asked a very similar question in conversation with a
Community of Christ minister.

Remember that they have the same "three degrees of glory"
section in their D&C.

The answer I got back, was that celestialization would
not be dependent upon a member's sexual orientation or
gender identification -- such peripheral matters would
not be factors in eternal life in the CK.

But, recall also, that the Reorganized LDS and CofC do not
teach that there is any sexual activity in eternal life.

UD

Posted by: exrldsgirl ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 01:31PM

They have recently decided to perform same-sex marriages, even in states where it is not legal. I guess those ones would just be blessings or commitment ceremonies.

Posted by: moroniandcheesecantlogin ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 01:28PM

If an organization cannot realise that intersex people exist, they have no business talking about homosexuality.

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 01:38PM

What Mormons fail to realize is that 99.99% of the popluation would not want to be anywhere near the celestial kingdom if it was only Mormons who were in it.

The Celestial Kingdom is only heaven to them, it would be hell for everyone else.

Posted by: jackjoseph ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 02:06PM

:) Reminds me of that South Park episode where the mormons are all in heaven wearing white shirts and bike helmets, and god is a buddhist mouse. Then Saddam Hussein gets banished to heaven with the mormons because it's even worse than hell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probably_(South_Park)

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 02:30PM

If the political climate becomes untenable for the church to continue to grant full fellowship to gay people, as it did by 1978 with regard to full fellowship for black people, expect a revelation.

But don't expect a formal, full-blown plural marriage-type revelation where the prophet transcends the stairs to the upper room and has a conversation with God. Expect a weasely revelation like the one in 1978 where the good old boys get together and pray about it and decide to do the right thing.

Like they said about the 1978 revelation which finally included black people in full fellowship, they will say they don't know why God chose not to allow full fellowship to gay people for the past 200 years, but they will assure you that in the future, gay people will be fully included in the plan of salvation (currently under revision).

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 02:33PM

The first sentence should read:

If the political climate becomes untenable for the church to continue to DENY full fellowship to gay people, as it did by 1978 with regard to DENYING full fellowship to black people, expect a revelation.

Sorry for the crappy editing.

Posted by: alphonso ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 02:35PM

First of all there is no Celestial Kingdom.

The three degrees of heaven was philosphized about by Emanuel Swedenborg in "Heaven and its Wonders and Hell" prior by many years to the writing of the BoM. This is a free book in the Kindle edition.

A very boring book but he discusses in it three different heavens for people after they leave this life and how people are sorted according to their righteousness.

Second of all, if your place in heaven is accorded to you based on how persecuted you've been...seeing as how tscc looks upon their suffering and persecution to justify their holiness and shining brightness. Aren't the homosexuals even more righteous and holy? All the tortures, murderings, beatings, executions, suicides, self-loathing, etc, etc. I personally think the gays will rule in the heavens based on that assessment. And as a god, I'm personally going to send all the people like bkp and swk into hell and have them raped eternally by well-endowed eternally horny men.

And another point...
Who the F*ck would choose to be homosexual if there was an actual choice when you consider all the crap dumped on you for being gay? I'm coming to terms with my gayness and I'm becoming happy about it and embracing the naturalness of it but that has only come about after sorting through all of the cultural and religious manure society dumped on me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 02:36PM by alphonso.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.