Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 07:14PM

I have a pickup and have helped various people move, haul, etc.

I also have a little sticker on the back window that says,

"YES THIS IS MY PICKUP, NO I WON'T HELP YOU MOVE."

It seems to work, I haven't been asked to help move, but people generally accept my offer to help when I ask to help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 07:27PM

My JackMo step dad is actually planning to sell his pickup truck as he doesn't really need it, and since he's completely inactive, he doesn't want strangers in the ward he never attends asking him to help move. I also know others with pickup trucks that have that sticker saying, "Yes this is my truck. No, I won't help you move!" Then again, I'm the type of person who would rather hire a moving company where the people generally know what they're doing. After all, if I can afford to move, I can afford to pay someone to do it for me.

About that boat incident mentioned in the closed thread, if that had been me, I would have filed a police report and pressed theft charges.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2013 07:30PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: onthecouchwiththelightson ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 08:20PM

I almost wanna rejoin just so I can snub the truck abusers, or show up enjoying a bowl of medium english & see the reaction.

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 08:28PM

Where I live everybody has a pickup truck so it's pretty rare anybody asks
you for it

Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 08:35PM

I have a 1 ton dually diesel for my business and it seems like no one asks me for help with it. I think my truck is too scary or something. However when I had an F-150, everyone at church volunteered me to help.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 08:46PM

I have an older Ford f-150. Have helped a few people move that really needed the help. Also had a small trailer.
I also had a 54 Chevy I restored and it had a 4 speed and a straight 6. Most people didn't know how to start it,, let alone shift and drive it. No power anything. had a few people want to use it. I just politely told them no.

Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 09:30PM

Manual choke? Non-synchronized transmission? No power steering? :) Had a 51' F-2, 4 speed 239 flathead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2013 09:31PM by notsurewhattothink.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 08:46PM

I don't own a truck, but when I need to move, I cough up the cash for a U-haul. Plus there is the added bonus that you generally only have to make one or two trips with a U-haul.

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 10:19PM

That's what I've never understood. 20 trips in a pickup burning all that fuel, could be a couple hundred bucks depending how far you're going. Not to mention all the extra work and time. Or 1 trip in a u-haul. 50-60 to rent it and about the same for gas. And way quicker.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 10:36PM

The typical modus operandi is to hit up every single person in the ward that owns a truck. That way, you get a convoy.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 08:39AM

I used to rent the house across the street and then I decided to buy... right across the street. I literally moved about 20 feet to the other side of the street. Neighbors actually offered to lend me their trucks. LOL. I used a hand truck. I'd come home from work, pack up 5-6 boxes, trot them across the street, unpack, and bring the empties back to the rental. It took me 5 weeks to move, but less than an hour to ask a couple friends to help me bring the heavy stuff across the street. At the time I had four pets, so there was a little critter convoy for about 20 seconds as each person took a dog or a cat and walked it across the street.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.