Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nevermo1 ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 04:05PM

Do any of you Ex-TBM's ever look up the church's own website or look at any lds/Mormon fb pages not to post anything nasty or anything but more to view local area Mormon news,see what the prophet has to say and to see what is happening in the ward regarding events etc just out of interest?Some of the 'News' sections in the European part of the lds website are laughable only being updated every second year or so!Clearly there is not much happening there then!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 04:09PM

Your question isn't trolling. Some do, some don't.

I don't..

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 04:14PM

I do if a link is posted and of interest, however, I'm not one to post comments (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2013 04:15PM by Mormoney.

Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 07:00PM

Invitations, missionary emails, every face book post my wife shares with me, flyers on the door, Newsletters left on the porch, conversations over heard in the lunch room and at restaurants. My life is "All Mormon, all the time". Living in Utah County I can't get away from it.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 03:21PM

Yep. I also live in Mormon-saturated Utah County.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 08:13PM

No, I don't. I'm not interested at all. But I find out if anything big is going on anyway, because it'll probably be posted in here.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 09:01PM

I don't as I'm not interested. Chances are, I'll find out if anything big is going on from reading this board, and from my TBM stepfamily. It wasn't this board that I heard about the missionary ages being lowered, it was actually because my youngest step sister put in the paperwork as soon as the announcement was made. After all, I reacted by saying, "I thought she had to be 21 to go on a mission."

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 07:16AM

I used to enjoy posting thought provoking questions on LDS-centric FB site.
On the Mormon Newsroom FB page I responded to an article about a huge movie set the church owns in Nephi. “Why does the church need a movie set that has a daily security cost that is higher than most Wards’ annual budgets?"
After a while they caught on to me and would delete my question within and hour or two. Then I got blocked completely from several LDS sites.
For the record: I never said anything a responsible, unbiased, journalist wouldn’t have said. And all my questions were based on fact.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 03:23PM

Yes, if they think you are not being faith-promoting they'll censor you. KSL News editorial comments are the same. They won't post anything negative about Mormonism, true or not.

As for reading LDS news of any sort, I don't much. I either know what they are saying (pay, pray, obey advice) or it's predictable pap like heralding a new mission, new temple or some spin story about a "nontypical Mormon," (of color, converted from a counterculture, etc.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 03:28PM by rationalguy.

Posted by: greekgod ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 07:17AM

Not really. Mormonism is old news to me. I do come here often for recovery though. Usually takes the form of shits and giggles

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 07:18AM by greekgod.

Posted by: Erick ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 07:29AM

I stay away from most Church news outlets, including Deseret News, simply to save myself the headaches. I've posted several comments on Deseret News that met all the specified criteria, and still had them not show up. I even contacted someone from their department and sent them copies of everything that had been deleted. He actually apologized and told me that the Des News is also going to screen for Church friendly vs unfriendly. They do allow for critical comments...but they screen those for content quality, where the best thought out arguments are the ones that never make the cut.

I project that I've had in mind for a few years, that I'll probably never get around to, is to create an independent blog to discuss LDS daily news. The idea would be to link to LDS News articles, from all of their outlets, and then allow an unfiltered dialogue to ensue where both critical and non-critical comments can have their day without interference from the Mormon Quality Control department.

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 07:29AM

Not often but I do read the talks sometimes and look at their scriptures. Honestly I find out more of what is going on from this site than any other site. I'm always a step ahead of my husband who finds things out after I already know. I'm more up on LDS Inc. than he could ever be at all times. I get pleasure out of knowing things like women praying at GC, lowering the missionary age, etc., before he knows. Not only that, but I know why these things happen whereas he just takes their words no questions asked. LDS.org won't tell you the why.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 07:33AM by snuckafoodberry.

Posted by: newcatholic ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 08:59AM

I do not even want those pages popping up when I'm on an on-line search, so why would I go there on purpose? No interest at all, nil, zip. . . . . .

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 09:22AM

I visit TBM/Church sites infrequently.

Reason:

My BS metering stick bends past 100.

The gag reflex reaches 90

My intelligence prevents me from relating to all the sugar-coating.

Date: May 14, 2013 02:21PM

You are not missing Anything on the church's own website anyway,it's mostly propaganda about ward members work,for example they often clean local areas and wear bright yellow overalls to make themselves known.They also have announcements from church leaders on there.Occasionally though you will find something Really creepy though so always worth a look out.Also weird as this sounds I like to look at the photos of what the interior of the churches look like and what ward members look like.Their FB page however is alot more interesting as it is far more current and allows for feedback.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 02:35PM

Including relief society and priesthood sessions. I watch it at my own pace - so I usually stream it from lds dot org.

Some of it angers up the blood. But a lot of it is very, very funny to me.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 02:41PM

Yes and no.

I have no interest in the volumes of maudlin, self-serving pap the church publishes to promote the faith, control the faithful, and keep the revenue flowing.

On the other hand, many would agree that the church can be proven false (or at least, highly flawed) using the nearly two centuries worth of its own published writings and the writings of its "scholars."

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 03:09PM

Your quote..."see what the Prophet has to say"

What Prophet???????????

Date: May 14, 2013 03:15PM

Whoops,maybe Prophet isn't the correct title,as you can see from mine I'm a Nevermo.Anyway,church leaders is what I was getting at.They frequently give dictates which are usually available on the church's own website.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 03:19PM

I checked out general conference. Just to update, see whats going on, see what has changed and what not.

Just curious and a heads up to the inevitable fb quotes etc

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.