Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: weepingwillow ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 03:59PM

...to spend eternity sharing your husband with X amount of wives so that he can be a God and get all the glory, when it was you (in most cases) or your job to hold the family together spiritually. (it said that in my patriarchal blessing about it being on my shoulders).
Why would any woman be OK with this ending to her life? To be nothing more than a human pod for eternity? Who would want to land in the celestial kingdom? I suppose the threat of not being with their family. But I think its a bunch of bull.
What else do woman in tscc choose etc.?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 04:09PM

This is exactly the point I argue. They however don't necessarily see it that way and figure they'll have a different "perfect" perspective that will allow them to accept it wholeheartedly.

What I think is largely misunderstood is the origin of this doctrine and the extremely sexist foundation of the church and how JS treated women and what he taught a woman's place was. These days, TBM women try to empower themselves by having a more optimistic attitude towards the doctrine, or interpret it in a way that makes them feel better. However, the core doctrine behind it, if they understood the fundamentals would I'm sure turn them off and they would find repulsing as I'm sure most exmormon women now see it.

I have a good friend who is a TBM feminist. She speaks favourably about the church in some aspects, but in many other aspects, she's at war with the church culture (quite vocally) and attempting to effect change. I'm rooting for her in one sense, but also hoping that she will eventually just get out. However, in the mean time, I hope she is able to help cause change for the better.

Posted by: mandy ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 04:16PM

They don't see it that way. They don't think they are "choosing" that. I doubt even as much as 5% of them have ever even considered that scenario. They have heard that there is polygamy in the celestial kingdom, but think it will be a choice. And they certainly won't be one to chose it. There is those mental gymnastics at play.

Posted by: magnite ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 04:26PM

I always thought it was interesting to consider why a woman would be expected to be satisfied with a husband with multiple wives in the "celestial kindom", when I know of no woman who would be happy in this life with the same arrangement...

Just wondering...

They have an illusion of choice. When in reality, they have none at all. I think to them its a choice between a "forever family" or not.

Posted by: josie ( )

During my TBM upbringing, polygamy was talked about as a given in the next life. The doctrine was never appealing to me. Why would I want to be one of a bunch of wives endlessly reproducing spirit babies?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 12:02AM by josie.

Date: May 13, 2013 04:29PM

Forever and ever... And never even given credit for it. It's all about the man and his wonderfulness!

Date: May 13, 2013 04:30PM

The new name also puts women in their place.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 04:48PM

I frequently remind my TBM siblings and extended family about this Polygamy scenario in the CK and why if they aren't shooting for the highest level of the CK to be "rewarded" with this lifestyle...than why in the world are they jumping through all the hoops of Moronism in this life???

Almost always i get this response back from any number of them...

"That polygamy in heaven thing was changed with the Manifesto."

Now if that's not a major DISCONNECT in Mormon thinking...please tell me what is!!!

Or so it seems to me...

Date: May 13, 2013 05:00PM

Oh wow. Face palm.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 05:18PM

Good grief.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 03:32PM

Yeah. Manifesto's are just as good as revelations don cha know!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 05:13PM

There is a huge chunk of real life human history, and in an immense variety of different cultures, where this scenario was played out for real.

It's called "harems."

Read any book by any woman (or man, for that matter--there were male harems for males too) who was ever put into a harem, or became "dedicated to a god" (deva dasis, in India...called by many other names in other places).

Just READ what it is LIKE to be a member of a harem (even if you are the "head woman"--the man's chief wife, and therefore in the best possible "harem" position).

No woman--no MAN--would ever CHOOSE that life if they had ANY alternative.

And LDS women who believe this are just as (mentally, at least) trapped as any girl anywhere in human history, anywhere on THIS planet, who was ever put into this position as her unchosen "destiny."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2013 05:15PM by tevai.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 05:23PM

I hadn't gotten the notice that only the men would be making animals and planets and solar systems.
I figured having spirit children was my choice if I wasn't too busy painting stripes on my horses that lived on my planet.

I've even thought an Asian Lion would look beautiful if it had the grey coloring of a Schnauzer dog....silvery-black mane with a silver tabby coat...

You mean women were NOT going to be making planets???Says who!
I wanted out of that fantasy game.

It reminds me of people making up the "rules" for a "make believe" afternoon of play in costumes that include lemonade and a treefort in the back yard.....

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 08:11PM

You don't get it. Most of the husbands say, "Dear, I would NEVER take on another wife in the hereafter. It will be our choice, and I will choose not to. You are the ONLY wife I will ever want, bla, bla.

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 08:20PM

I had to put that on a shelf the thought of having to share my husband. Poor Emma

Date: May 14, 2013 01:50AM

I know, poor Emma. She had to deal with a lot of crap.

Posted by: Renie ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 09:54AM

Question from a nevermo...

If in the CK families stay together..how or where do YOUR married children end up? With his family on their planet..or with the wife's family on their planet? Wouldn't your married, adult, deceased kids end up with their own planet, and thus not be with you anyway?

How do they get around this slight glitch in the "forever family" theory?

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 11:57AM

Well, then you'd be able to have family picnics and BBQ's on your planet and invite others to teleport to your planet for the day and visa versa.

Date: May 14, 2013 12:40PM

I've always wondered the same thing even as a TBM.

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 03:40PM

We were taught that people can "visit" each other. People who come into to CK can visit the Telestial or Terrestial Kingdom. You can visit the people in a lower kingdom or same kingdom but not people in a higher kingdom than your own kingdom you are in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 03:44PM by subeam.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.