Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Green Potato ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 12:15PM

When I was younger, the older people (mormon or not) would tell us younger ones to "respect your elders". Essentially it meant that you had to always agree with what older people said, and you had to do what older people asked you to do without question. Not surprisingly TSCC thrived in those days.

Nowadays I think the "respect your elders" principle is dead. Too many of us have now confirmed what we always suspected, that our elders were hopelessly deluded. I don't think there is a place in the modern world for mindless obedient drones who can't think for themselves. Other than at church of course.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 04:15AM

I used to believe that, by definition, the older people were, the wiser they were. Unfortunately, with age often comes entrenchment in destructive philosophies learned in youth. And yes, maybe (hopefully!) this realization is catching on.

Posted by: muaddib ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 04:31AM

I think Isaac was the first recipient of this advice...

Posted by: cfutahn ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 09:59AM

Will you please tell my father this is no longer in vogue to say? He threw this one at me just about a month ago.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 10:26AM

And older does not equal knowing everything. The older I get, the more experience I have, but the more I also realize that I don't know everything and that it's ok to believe something and then change your mind.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 10:29AM

Having worked with the elderly, I have learned to take the phrase an entirely different way. Respect your elders, the same you would respect anyone else. Listen to them, because like anyone else you meet, they will have a unique perspective that gives them interesting insights on life and the world around them. Take this wisdom with a grain of salt though, because like everyone else, they also have their own prejudices and misconceptions as well.

Posted by: Green Potato ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 11:06AM

I like your definition of respecting your elders forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 11:53AM

Great way of putting it!

Posted by: cfutahn ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 10:50AM

One thing I love to say is that even though a person is older, has been through more life experiences than you, etc, doesn't mean that they had the best life experience, and they of course haven't made every choice and seen the results of different choices. All they have to go on is their own experience of their life path. And as we all know, one size does not fit all. They may give advice on what worked for them, but their advice will not hold true for all.

Date: May 14, 2013 11:52AM

It seems to me that the main problem is misconstruing the word "respect." Respect doesn't mean that a person is always right or that you always need to listen to them. If I expected that kind of "respect" from everyone I would look like an arrogant a** hole. Somehow, though, many people seem to believe that is what respect means.

Respect is the act of showing appreciation and regard to what that person may know and other such acts of acknowledgement. It doesn't mean to give in to every whim of the person you are showing respect to.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 05:11PM

nickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I expected that
> kind of "respect" from *ANYONE* I would look like
> an arrogant a** hole. Somehow, though, many people
> seem to believe that is what respect means.

Fixed that for you. ;)

As others have said, respect does not mean unquestioning obedience. Well, except maybe in the Mormon church, where the overlords have encouraged that definition.

Everyone deserves respect as a default position. One can lose that respect (pretty easily), but whenever you meet someone new you should start with an attitude of respect. I believe older people deserve a higher level of this starting default, because (often) life grants experience and wisdom.

Date: May 14, 2013 07:03PM

Thank you for fixing that :P

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 11:54AM

Karma is a bitch. You don't respect your elders because they know what they are talking about, you respect them because you're going to be one in the very near future.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 03:03PM

I think elders and everyone else needs to show respect unless it's clearly undeserved and that no one should try to take unfair advantage of others based purely on their age.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 04:58PM

As an old guy myself, I avoid saying this like the plague. Yes, I have the benefit of experience, which is good. I can mentor others because of that, but I'm always careful not to let it go to my head! I learn tons of things from younger people every day. If I keep learning, I'll feel younger and remain relevant instead of becoming a source of irritation for being a know-it-all.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.