Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anotherheretichereagain ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 08:28PM

My mother: "Dad and I want to go on a mission when (disabled grandchild) enters middle school, because we know it will be a such a hard time for him. So we're waiting until then."

My heretical self: "You're waiting until he and his mom need you most to leave town?"

My mother: "Elder Featherstone promised our kids and grandkids will be more blessed while we're in the mission field than we could possibly imagine, and we think he'll need the blessings then."

Does anyone else hear the sound of a cartoon cukoo clock in their mind whilst making the obligatory mother's day phone calls??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 08:32PM

Well, that's certainly a sign of someone who truly believes it.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 08:38PM

Mormonism - it's all about families.

That's how the early saints were blessed too. Joseph Smith sent them off on missions and married their wives and daughters while they were away. Oh the blessings!

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 08:40PM

When my step son was on his mission people would come up to us and tell us they were jealous of all the blessings we were getting.

My husband would say to them: My father is dying, my wife was diagnosed with cancer, if he doesn't come home soon my entire family will be wiped out.

They would give him a dirty look and move on. It was all true though. We refused to take the bad things that were happening and try to turn them into a FPS. We were viewed as flawed because of that. A lot of sick and twisted thinking going on in mormonism.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 08:55PM

FPS?

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 09:02PM

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 12:07AM

For Pete's sake!

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 09:17PM

anotherheretichereagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Does anyone else hear the sound of a cartoon cukoo
> clock in their mind whilst making the obligatory
> mother's day phone calls??

I often hear cuckoos when MORmONS try to get preachy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YEMX0VooD4

"Elder Featherstone promised our kids and grandkids will be more blessed while we're in the mission field than we could possibly imagine, and we think he'll need the blessings then."

AND I promise that Elder Featherstone guy is a PHONY SUPERFICIAL POLITICALLY AMBITIOUS SOCIAL CLIMBING POS with ZERO credibility, just in case you were wondering.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2013 04:39AM by lucky.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 09:47PM

Ask your mom who the fuck Elder Featherstone is and what he could possibly know about your family's situation in life.

"Family...isn't it about...time?"

Posted by: glibberish ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 10:10PM

I don't know why anyone would espouse the idea of God being such a jerk that no matter how hard people work, they will never be able to be more happy and blessed than the two years (times however many babies they make - bonus blessings!) when they have a child on a mission.

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: May 12, 2013 10:26PM

Things were not better because our kids were out on a mission!

It was a sick elevated social status that had nothing to do with us...any blessings recieved was from hard work and a lot of luck ( being in the rich place at the right time)+ skills

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 01:46AM

I had a dear TBM friend at BYU who dated one of Vaughn Featherstone's sons back around 1980. They were very serious and talking about marriage. He went away for a weekend somewhere and when he came back he was engaged to someone else.

She was heartbroken but in retrospect very fortunate. She left the Mormon church shortly thereafter and married a nice Catholic guy.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 04:42AM

Sounds like a real MORmON in action to me !

And THAT is what I would call dodging a bullet for her!

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 12:17PM

Just a question. But it seems that corporate used to traught out the most disabled members that could complete a sentence and make them "Motivational Speakers". I have not come across this in a while. What's up?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 02:52PM

oldklunker wrote: "It was a sick elevated social status that had nothing to do with us..."

Well put; lots of families thrive on the social recognition of having someone "in the field" so they can pretend to be "so blessed" like they are some sort of pioneering mormon families spreading the word to the vast unwashed masses and they can play the game of "My family sacrifies more than your family, so we're more holy."

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 02:53PM

Promising blessings is the way that the LDS church gets people to do things that make no logical sense whatsoever. Pay your last dime to the church so that you can have blessings even though your kids are starving. Leave your grandchildren to serve a mission so that you and they can have blessings. Get married in the temple and leave your non-member/non-worthy family out on the steps so you can have blessings. And it goes on and on and on.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 02:56PM

That God is one heck of a jokester, telling leaders to split up families in their time of greatest need.

Posted by: phoebe64 ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 03:04PM

I remember when one of my sons was on his mission I had someone tell me how blessed they were when their son was one. Their house burned down - but noone was killed. their car was wrecked - but noone was killed. and one more tragedy I can't remember but noone was killed.

Wow - thanks but no thanks.

I believe when people speak of hte blessings they get with missionaries out, it is a matter of selective recollection. Only count the good things and not the bad. The score sheet is much higher that way. Like at Vegas. Only count the winnings and not all the money you plunked into the machine to get it.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 05:32PM

Isn't that like what the Willie handcart company was told as they were leaving for Utah a bit late?

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 13, 2013 06:37PM

They were also told a similar thing when they were asked to sacrifice some of their best cows to feed the much better provisioned missionaries, who were speeding past them in horse drawn buggies.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 02:38PM

Yeah and to ditch their clothing to lighten the load. Haha.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 12:15AM

and they claim Not to be a Cult...
sparty: + a Zillion!

cult cult cult

family Loyalty/service means NOTHING to CultCorp.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 01:47AM

This is when I get particularly angry with the top 15. They see and hear this stuff being said just like the rest of us and refuse to speak up and stop it. In my opinion they have a lot to answer for.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 02:53PM

BKP "..sometimes the truth is not very useful."

Posted by: charles, not logged in ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 09:27AM

anotherheretichereagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My mother: "Elder Featherstone promised our kids
> and grandkids will be more blessed while we're in
> the mission field than we could possibly imagine,
> and we think he'll need the blessings then."

My reply woulda been "Fuck Featherstone! He won't be the one picking up the pieces when your relationship goes south or when (grandkid) resents your absence!". That would be such a release.

Posted by: wowbagger ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 10:10AM

Featherstone? Isn't he the pirate from The Wiggles? What do pirates know about blessings?

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 03:03PM

I just posted this in another thread, but I was assured by church leaders that my family and I would heal from the pain of my mother's suicide attempts if I would just serve the Lord by going on a mission, so I went.

Since then I have experienced the horrors of PTSD, as have at least two of my siblings. One put a gun in his mouth after having a psychotic break, and if it hadn't been for a military buddy intervening he would have blown his brains out in front of his wife.

My sister is in a long-term relationship with an abusive man who cheats on her. Several members of my family became drug addicts. My father has almost completely checked out of reality, and has so little care for his own well-being he can barely walk or control his bowels.

Going on a mission doesn't help anything. In my experience, it just makes life more difficult.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.