Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 03:10AM

Didnt hear the whole story but apparently she said the reason why she didnt scream or anything was partly cuz of how she was taught that having sex before marrage was like being a chewed up stick of gum...Nobody would want her! TRAGIC to be raised that way. Kudos to her for coming out about it!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 04:00AM

It is disappointing that she doesn't recommend professional therapy for victims, like the other advocates do. Instead, she says her parents helped her, and she talked to her bishop. A good psychiatrist saved my life, after I was raped and beaten.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 04:01AM

+1

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 08:04AM

but I was pleased to hear Liz expose the chewed gum licked cupcake aspect of girls in kolobianism.

one more ding that makes nevermos go "wut?"

I consider it blows against the empire.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 08:37AM

Do you have a link for your source! That is one of the most promising things I have heard for young women coming up through the mental Mormon burqa.

Ana

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: May 08, 2013 11:03AM

My wife was reading the article (she's TBM), I was really encouraged to see her read it and even mention it to me. She didn't talk about it afterwards or mention the details, so I'm guessing she just put it out of her mind.

I also saw it on my facebook feed, I heard a bunch of "those aren't official doctrine" responses. I get upset, because if people googled "Victim Blaming LDS" they would have plenty of links to official church manuals and talks that clearly support victim blaming.

I really get bothered when people say it's the culture not the doctrine. When in reality the doctrine & leaders are the one promoting this culture.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.