Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 04:22AM

This post is likely to be a ramble.

I've had a few shots of whiskey.

So when I was growing up, my dad would always pick up a hitch hiker. He never did it to be nice. He did it to share the gospel. He carried a few copies of the BoM in the car just in case he could share his precious facking gospel. He never picked up a hitch hiker just to be nice and give a guy a ride. Always an ulterior motive.

When I had friends from school, my mom would tell me to be a good example. I couldn't just have friends for friends sake, I had to be a good member of "the church". Never a good friend to be a good friends sake, but an ulterior motive. To share the gd gospel.

Always in the back of both of their heads, the main objective was to share the gospel. Never to be a good, nice person, but always to spread the motherfacking gospel.

Up until 1997 my life revolved (and I'm not being clever, I mean REVOLVED) around the mormon church. Not the members, but The Church as an entity. I had to take a bit of a break in 1998 because I just got burned out and then I found out the truth in 1999, but until 1997 I was in it 110%.

Looking back, I view Mormonism as completely and unashamedly disingenuous at best and absolutely evil at worst. (the way they made me [and many many others] feel about myself earns them the 'evil' label)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ctus ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 04:46AM

Your post reminds me of just one of many examples of why I hate church. The fact that you will never get a break from the damn church. The example I'm thinking of is the primary songs "saturday is a special day". They even suck the fun out of what is supposed to be a fun day for a kid. Can't even have one damn day to iurselves. Seems stupid but it's always annoyed me. Sorry for the typos but I'm at work and on my phone and don't have time to go back and figure them out!

Date: May 02, 2013 05:05AM

I resented that song when I was a kid.

My mom was a single mother, and an old one at that. She worked 5 days a week. When she got home from work, she had to be a full time single mom. She lived for the morg. The mormon cult took Sunday from us. It turned Monday into church lite. Tuesday was scouts (attendance was mandatory per mom). Wednesday was her temple day (and mine as well when I got older). Thursday was her day to do her non-paying church job. Friday was pizza/movie night. Saturday we had to cram a weeks worth of errands into one day and if I got a couple of hours to play it was a miracle. Then back to Sunday.

Out of a week, I had Friday night and all day Saturday to be free of the mormon church and then they tried to co-opt Saturday.

Who would want that?

Posted by: Ctus ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 05:10AM

Yep that is exactly my point!

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 07:16AM

so can I take your post as further justification for my contention that MORmONS really are some of the biggest phonies around, despite the gosh darn likable facade that they so stridently maintain?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 09:39AM

It should be clear to us know that in Mormon thinking, man is for the church, not church for the man.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: May 03, 2013 06:19AM

the thing that is clear to me is that Jesus needs a church about like electricity needs a power company.

The people who run church and make money off of religion make it sound like Jesus could not get along with out a church, but in reality Jesus doesn't need anything.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 09:43AM

+1

I would add that the desire to "Share the Gospel" was, in my experience, not even altruistic in its own right.

I have found TBMs want to share the "truth" not because they sincerely want others to be happy, but because they want a notch on their belt. They want to be able to show other TBMs how righteous they have been by bringing another poor sap into TSCC.

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 10:19AM

In one of my deep analytical course at BYU, we had to go over many different dichotomies such as hedonism vs. altruism, what is man's true nature. The professor was given an example of Jesus Christ's crucifiction. He stated, (he wasn't mormon) that the true authors of hedonism and altruism debates would say that christ was not really altruistic because there was a great reward in store for him: King, God, Power, etc.

It was ironic that a class at BYU truly stimulated my thoughts on how christianity didnt appear altruistic to me anymore.

During Elders quorum for years later I would see them trying to organize moves, build outs, and other service projects in the hopes of reactivating and finding new recruits.

A means to an end.

Moreover, I always viewed the members as ppl who were stressed out trying to get their eternal salvation more than just caring for others and accepting ppl for who they are. They used to tell me "hate the sin and not the sinner". Yet, they never walked the walk. It was always like a holier than thou contest. They took callings because it came from God and if you don't do it, no Celestial glory!

Again, a means to an end.

I just can't see true altruism in Christianity.

However, as I have followed atheism, I can see altruism. If you live and die, no more and no less, and you give charitably in many ways, there is no heaven or hell. Therefore, you expect nothing in return. Now that is altruism. Something religious folks will never understand.

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 12:53PM

I was brought up to hate Mormons -- or, rather my upbringing
necessarily entailed hating them.

If I saw a stranger across the street and they looked like
they were LDS, I was expected to hate them, without ever
exchanging a word.

As the years went by and parental control weakened, I began
to drift away from that imposed duty to hate -- first with
my Dad's Reorganized LDS cousins, and eventually with "real"
Mormons.

In my early teens I went so far as to kiss a Mormon girl and
go fishing with a Mormon guy. I managed to survive it all.

UD

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 01:12PM

I don't hate Mormons. I was one of them and drank the same koolaid.

I do hate LDS, Inc for turning good people into a-holes.

Posted by: magnite ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 01:13PM

+1

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 02:26PM

This. If I hate anything, it's the organization as it has indoctrinated people so well, that many never leave. More than anything, I have pity for Mormons as they're stuck in the organization that uses them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2013 02:29PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 01:26PM

After I finally left Mormonism in 2007, I started experimenting with Catholicism, and the first thing I noticed hanging out with Catholics was how much their religion stayed at church, and the rest of the week they went on with their lives, work, school, family. They prayed and stuff during the week, but Catholicism didn't consume their brains and personality. It was just a religion.

That was an eye-opener for me. Mormonism is like a whale--it swallows you whole.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2013 01:26PM by liminal state.

Posted by: phoebe64 ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 02:53PM

And in the mormon church those kind of church goers got critisized for only being "Sunday" christians. Mormons are 24/7/365 christians.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2013 04:03PM by phoebe64.

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 05:11PM

What they don't realize is they are not Christians but Smithians.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 02:34PM

I hate 'em. Can't help it. Just do.

;o)

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 03:11PM

I enjoy simply reading these kinds of posts :) I don't know exactly why.

Posted by: doubtisavirtue ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 05:39PM

How can you hate Mormons when you were in it yourself 110%?

You hate them for doing that to you? Well, it's *currently* being done to them.

If there's anything here worthy of hate, it would simply be the church as an organization, not the naive and misguided folks trapped within it.

I love Mormons. Much of my family is Mormon. Many people I have a deep respect for are Mormon. I love them. It's the MormonISM I can't stand. It's the church as an institution, an entity, that I think the world would be better off without. If I could do it without upending their lives, I would gladly work to get those people out of the church. But I don't love them an OUNCE less for being Mormon. It just makes me worry about them more.

It's not them I have a problem with. They may let the church consume their identity, and they may say it's everything they are, but for many of them it's an act because they think they are being eternally watched. Many of them act radically different once they realize they can relax and let the disguise down. Many of them have hidden depths, and there's a lot more to them than the image they present as being Molly Mormon or Peter Priesthood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2013 05:41PM by doubtisavirtue.

Date: May 03, 2013 02:33AM

I think that he is referring to the organization and it's effect on people, but he is using terms with the wrong implications or letting it out on the wrong people.

Date: May 03, 2013 02:55AM

Yes. I didn't word it as eloquently as I could have. As I pointed out, I had had a couple of drinks.

I don't even remember what triggered that thought.

I can honestly say that there are a number of people, PEOPLE that are mormons that I can say that I have hatred for. Hate is a strong word. That's why I'm using it.

But most mormons are well meaning, duped people who are doing only what they think is best. The cult (which I do indeed hate) has duped them.

Date: May 04, 2013 05:26PM

Bingo :)

Posted by: michaelff nli ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 09:04PM

you make a great point.

my friend was the church and making sure my actions kept it in a good light was more important that learning how to be a real friend.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 03, 2013 02:05AM

It's no good hating a sin. I don't hate the six pack of malt liquor, I hate the idiot who vomited it up on my shoes. Don't bother hating the Book of Mormon, because some knucklehead will quote it to you and you'll want to punch him in the solar plexus.

I don't hate the St George temple; it's kind of cool looking, like a New England chapel from land of the giants. I hate the vermin that infest it. Nattering Nabobs of the Nephilim.

Date: May 03, 2013 03:35AM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's no good hating a sin...

I recall that when I lived in Ohio that some of the
farmers there hated the Amish. Whether it was because
those strange people were considered "sinners," or
because the local farmers just didn't get along with
them, I never understood.

But when you teach your kids and grandkids to hate the
people down the road, because you don't like them, that
early training can come back to bite you one day. One
of those farmers (in Bellefontaine, about ten miles from
where I lived) was brutally beaten to death by his own son.

What goes around can also come around.

UD

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 03, 2013 03:53PM

I have feelings based on memories of abuse. My abusers were Mormons, including especially my parents. I also had a lot of run ins with Mormon men who should have had no say whatsoever in my upbringing. There were no boundaries, no sanctuary, not even in my home. My person and my personality were under assault by the greater cult group. I own my hatred for Mormonism and Mormons.

Nobody can take that away from me. It is what it is.

Date: May 03, 2013 04:11PM

Well, as they say on Stormfront, our hatred is our strength.

No denying it can be a powerful motivation.

UD

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: May 03, 2013 02:54AM

Do you mean you hate the church? Fair enough. Understandable.

I don't hate mormons. I hate SOME of them, but there others I love as well (such as my parents). I don't see the mormons themselves as evil people, they're victims of a religion. Some of them don't even know it's not true, so we can't blame them for still being there. We know how difficult it is to leave the church.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 03, 2013 04:33PM

I admit there are a LOT of things I despise about the mormon cult, but right at the top of the list is the total lack of boundaries of the morg, and also so many of the members.

Is it because they believe they are god's chosen that common human etiquette and kindness do not apply to them?

Ya think???

Posted by: sammy126 ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 07:01PM

Mormons love the gospel and so they want to share what they believe to be true. Haven't you found something you just thought was amazing and you wanted to share it with your friends or anyone because you thought is was the best thing? Mormonism is a religion just like any other. And as for always being an example it goes back to what I said before. Mormons want others to experience what they believe to be wonderful and so they want to show what it brings them. Not all Mormons are bad and preachy like one's you have met. Most you would just see good people and then they happen to be Mormon.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 07:04PM

All mormons pay tithes to support the bigotry of their organization. A business that promotes sexism, racism, and anti-gay legislation where ever they can get away with it.
Doesn't matter to me how sweet as pie and nice they are, they are doing evil in the name of gawd, and teaching their children to do the same.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: May 25, 2013 07:09PM

Are they good because they don't drink coffee? Do they stop being good if they start drinking coffee?

If Zi wanted a world-class follower, without on science, just a cassette player ready to play what's installed.

That's a Mormon. Good people? Ow can you be told to be a bigot, and then told to stop being a bigot? Hardly a person, let alone a good person. More like a programmable cyborg.

Name of Jesus Chist. Amen. Bless the food, nourish and strengthen!

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: May 26, 2013 09:28AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2013 09:29AM by fidget.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: May 26, 2013 09:54AM

A lot of hit and runs from the apologists this week. Fun! (or is it one guy with several different user id's?)

Sammy, do you know there's a problem regarding JSJ and OC claims to Melchizedek priesthood restoration? The story you were taught doesn't align with the facts. How do you feel about"retroactive revelation"?

How many wives did your GD teacher tell you JSJ had?

What is the official explanation for polyandry?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.