Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Viva La ChaCha ( )
Date: April 30, 2013 01:26PM

Why does the church run the single largest cattle ranch? 44,000 cattle on 300,000 acres in Florida?

I just learned about this today and I've NEVER heard about this in the church. Is this purposely kept secret? Seems like something that you are the biggest or best at usually you'd want others to know about...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: April 30, 2013 01:37PM

Real estate is the best way to launder the Lord's dollars. They're building up the Kingdom of God here on Earth, dontchya know?

Nevermind, He supposedly built it in the first place.

Posted by: apples ( )
Date: April 30, 2013 01:39PM

It is because the LDS Church is a cult that has grown into a corporation that pretends is a religion.
Corporations that are successful invest their revenue (tithing) in ventures that generate cash flow and appreciate in value.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 11:22AM

A psuedo religion whose revenuses are tax free

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: April 30, 2013 01:39PM

One of my Institute teachers raved about this ranch once. He was very proud of all the land the church owns, and told us that there was a standing order at COB to buy any available land in Jackson County immediately. From his water-eyed TBM perspective, it was proof that the church is twoo. "See, the prophets instruct us to own a lot of property so that when the Millennium comes we'll already have church-operated ranches, farms, housing, buildings, resources... everything we'll need will already be in place!"

And other such hogbollocks.

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: April 30, 2013 01:51PM

Posted by: Cappy ( )
Date: April 30, 2013 01:59PM

You cannot even grasp the size of the Deseret Ranch in Florida I've driven through it, extending 25 by 40 miles. Huge operation cattle is just one of the farming operations, agricultural is huge.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: April 30, 2013 02:03PM

It is just the tip of the iceberg. Most parcels are smaller, but the square footage is astounding.

LDS Inc is the largest foreign recipient of farm subsidies in England as well.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: April 30, 2013 02:59PM

... but they own the largest producer of the stuff --> Tommy Monson.

Oh yes, and they also own the ranch.

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: May 01, 2013 01:59AM

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: April 30, 2013 03:02PM

Truly the production of bullshit is one of their greatest assets.

Posted by: ripley ( )
Date: April 30, 2013 10:53PM

+++ quite literally!

Posted by: born in fell out ( )
Date: April 30, 2013 03:09PM

LDS owned Deseret Land and Livestock here in Utah is well over

200,000 acres... they select (rich bastards) to shoot trophy deer

and elk and antelope and leave the meat as a "donation" as the

hides and antlers are flown ( yes flown) off to later hang in

their Trophy rooms.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: April 30, 2013 03:17PM

I live in Florida, and as an active member here for more than a decade, I can assure you that most local members don't even know these ranches exist.

They are not like the Church Welfare Farms out West, where entire wards are volunteered and rotated out to work on the farm.

So who staffs these gigantic operations? "Volunteers?" Paid labor? I think I read once that the ranch could be some kind of missionary calling for senior couples? Does anybody know???

;o)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2013 08:18PM by shannon.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 30, 2013 03:34PM

http://www.journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/article_5de7826d-51cb-5b5a-a166-d2b3d38fd1cc.html
"While the church brings in managers to oversee their ranches, it hires other employees locally. Often, employees who worked for the previous owner stay on, Lamoreaux said. The church is an equal opportunity employer, and its employees aren't required to belong to or join the church."

Posted by: bentleye ( )
Date: April 30, 2013 03:35PM

Paid labor I know a guy who is a professional ranch manager. He recently interviewed for a job at Deseret Ranch. He is a mormon, but I'm not sure that you have to be one to work there.Reminds me of the how the great and abominable catholic church used to own large amounts of land in England before Henry Viii took it.

Posted by: Viva La ChaCha ( )
Date: April 30, 2013 08:06PM

Interesting that they can afford to hire labor for the cattle ranch but can't afford to hire janitors for all the church buildings.

Date: April 30, 2013 10:55PM

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 12:08PM

This is the most significant post of this thread, imo.

They can't afford to hire janitors.

They can't afford to meet FDA regulations to can their agricultural harvest even using volunteers for the labor.

BUT you can read the job postings on Monster and elsewhere for the agricultural professionals they need to run these ranches.

So... elite hunting preserve aside, who is processing their meet and where is the meat being sold?

Anyone...anyone...

I strongly visualize a whistle blowing meat cutter coming forward - someday.

Anagrammy

Posted by: whattookmesolong ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 09:34AM

I had an Uncle and Aunt that "served" a mission tending to the farms in Jackson County (i.e. the landing place for the Jesus spacecraft). So yes, they get plenty of free labor on these farms.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 30, 2013 03:44PM

Date: April 30, 2013 03:57PM

Hoooooly Smoke!! That's all new-news to me.

Shannon ;o)

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: April 30, 2013 08:13PM

Also the second-largest ranch in Canada, near Calgary.

Posted by: mormonista ( )
Date: April 30, 2013 10:49PM

I worked there when I was right out of high school...It is probably the best managed ranch in the nation , if not the world. They pay their cowboys' a little more than the national average. When I worked there, I made a dollar over the national avg and was also provided a house, and half a beef each year. I also had full medical for me and my wife,at no cost to myself.Most of the cowboys were tobacco chewing , beer drinking men in their twenties. I was the only active on my unit.I only knew two active cowboy's.

The thing that bothered me the most was, the Ranch management was also the senior ward leadership.And the pecking order among the women was unspokenly in step with the Ranch management.It also bothered me at the time that so many of their cow hands were not kept in line with the church.......I mean... How could the church allow tobacco chewing and beer on such sacred land... Right? Now tears later... I understand that they only hired the best cowboys in the world regardless of their religious or moral activities. Many of their Unit managers are headhunted by other large cow operations in the nation. You can find them at the 6666 and King Ranch in Texas. Both very famous ranches.

Their livestock and farming operations are used as models across the country.

I personally don't have a problem with any private enterprise, owning and operating profitable business. Even if it is a church...

This was in the late 80's.... I wonder what it is like now.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 30, 2013 10:57PM

I agree, but with all these successful business ventures, they shouldn't be shaking down little old ladies and poor college kids just starting out on life for tithing money the way they do.

Posted by: Andrei ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 08:38AM

How are you? Please consider my resume.
I am looking for a job.
Andrei Tsitou
Phone: 011-(375)-29-749-6163
e-mail address: silent84@mail.ru

Sovetskaia 12
Kritchev
Belarus

WORK EXPERIENCE IN USA

I have some working experience in the USA (Working J-1 visa for 6 month:
April-September 2010). I had a job as an Associate Veterinarian at the
local pig farm in Alexis, IL. I was responsible for the animal vaccination
at the farm. I participated in some small surgeries, preventive
practices, providing some nutritional diets and taking care of some
animals. Also I can operate a farm tractor and some other farm equipment.

OBJECTIVE:
I would like to have some position at the animal farm according to my
basic education and working experience in the USA and Belarus.

Summary of my skills:

Five years of experience in animal vaccination and animal
surgery
Excellent veterinary skills
Capable of performing surgeries under anesthesia
Good communication skills
Good computer skills
Ability to solve the problems and work individually

Education
MD in Veterinary Medicine from Vitebsk Academy of Veterinary
Medicine, Belarus (2006)

Work Experience in
Belarus:
(July 2008 -2010) Independent Veterinarian Consultant
Present-Kritcev, Belarus
Veterinarian consulting services
Responsibilities
Providing the basic nursing care to the animal
Successfully performed anesthetic surgeries of the animals
Taking care of the animals if shifted to the intensive care
unit after surgery
Required veterinarian vaccinations

(January 2006 - May 2008)Sokolnichi LLC, General Veterinarian Belarus
Responsibilities
Responsible for the providing first aid to dogs, cats, pigs
and other animals
Carrying out anesthetic surgery in case of emergency
Responsible for conducting an orthopedic and other surgeries
Responsible for deciding pet nutrition and prescribing the pet
diet according to the pet's health after surgery till recovery

Languages
Russian
English

I am ready to feed and give to drink to animals, to clean rooms where they
to contain. It is ready to carry out small repair of rooms. I am able to
work about a drill, a hammer, a screw-driver,,a petrolsaw and other tools.
On a farm in Alexis. IL I cleaned farms where pigs contained, disinfected
a farm, and feeding troughs for pigs. I have a driver's license of
Illinois. I am ready to work for you.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 09:01AM

Andrei, if you're willing to join the LDS corporation by making oaths while being semi-drowned in baptismal water, you might have a chance at getting a low-paying US job (minus 10% more for protection money). My advice to you is to meet the mormon missionaries in your country, take the discussion and tell them you would consider baptizing if they will get your resume to the right people at Deseret management Corp. Missionaries are motivated to do a lot of extra work to get baptisms. I know I was--I helped several Guatemalan couples get civilly married (paying for their licenses myself) so they could get baptized.

Just remember, once you are in the states, look for another job immediately so you can get out of the cult.

(this is tongue in cheek, but perhaps it will work for Andrei.)

Posted by: Joe's Steelclad Tapirs ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 09:23AM

This is just the tip of the iceberg. How about the game preserves where fat cat Mormons fly in, stay a week, shoot birds and animals for a premium, then fly home with their trophies?

Slaughter ranches are another big money item for the church that isn't talked about either.

Then you've got the Mall...

Posted by: Joe's Steelclad Tapirs ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 09:26AM

Here's the link to the slaughter ranches.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/770568/Tending-the-flock.html

Funny how they use MISSIONAIRIES to staff the place!!!!

How is this a church and not a corporation???

Posted by: destiny ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 10:08AM

Oh my goddddddddddddddd! Call someone a missionary and you got all the high quality slave labor you want. That is disgusting!

Posted by: m ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 11:30AM

destiny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh my goddddddddddddddd! Call someone a missionary
> and you got all the high quality slave labor you
> want. That is disgusting!

"All of our hunters are from Utah, many of them doctors, dentists and attorneys from Payson north to Ogden, including Park City," Elder Huff said.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 10:55AM

"Only a few pheasant and goose-hunting permits are sold each year, with hunting aficionados paying as much as $1,500 for the opportunity to hunt what is fast becoming an exclusive "club" for "members only."......."The preserve, known as Westlake Farm Commercial Hunting Area, is managed by the LDS Church's Farm Management Co., the same group that operates the adjacent farming operations and grain silos. The for-profit farming and ranching company is overseen by the church's Presiding Bishopric."

Welcome to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 11:30AM

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: July 09, 2013 11:33AM

Check out Berberian Nut Company
http://www.manta.com/c/mtgq3zp/berberian-nut-compa
ny-llc

Senior couples are/have been called to serve missions there. I learned that from reading in my newspaper that a couple had served a mission there.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060302/MONEY/603020306/1003
From the article:

"In the 1990s, it changed hands again, coming under the ownership of agricultural conglomerate ConAgra until it was sold in 1999 to its current owner, Chico-based Deseret Farms of California.

Deseret Farms itself is a subsidiary of Farm Management Co., a for-profit business arm of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

The church bought this in 2007. Senior missionaries serve missions there on their (retirement) dime while the church rakes in the profits. Nothing new here folks.

Date: July 09, 2013 11:37AM

Ignore the 2007 statement, the rest is correct. I read elsewhere the church purchased this in 2007.

Date: July 09, 2013 11:55AM

The company moved in 2007, it was located in Stockton and moved to Chico...that's what the 2007 was.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.