Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mo2atheist ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 10:25PM

Ok. I'm gonna get my ass kicked for this, but what the hell.

One of my high school best friends, married Charlene Wells. Her father is or was a GA. She was miss America a year after Vanessa Williams got caught in some scandalous photos (which I really enjoyed).

He invited my wife and I (we were staunch TBMs) to take them on a packtrip to Yellowstone Park with horses because I used to guide trips there as a kid with my Dad.

He asked me for my advice on a certain kind of saddle. I replied that it was very expensive and asked if he had enough money to buy such equipment, and he replied, "we have sufficient for our means".

I like the way he put it. Anyway, I knew he and Charlene had the money, because she had just signed a yearly third of a million dollar contract with ESPN a few months earlier.

Charlene ran behind the horses almost 5 miles in to maintain her figure. She and her husband bickered almost the whole time. My wife and I learned a lot about Mormon celebrities in those few days.

Bob and Charlene have found a lot of common ground recently and I'm glad because I really like them both. They are two people trying to figure out life.

They need to dump religion and finally get a peaceful life, but that will never happen.

I'd never trade my marriage to my sweetheart of 21 years for anything in the world.

Sometimes we need to see what it is we most want, just to decide that we don't want it at all.

Marriage to Miss America, no thanks. My wife is prettier and better.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Iknewcharlene ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 12:19PM

I knew Charlene in high school. Her family had just moved in to the Cove Point condominiums in the mouth of Millcreek Canyon. A living breathing nightmare. Father and mother were just as holier than thou.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 12:35PM

at the time she won the Miss America pageant. Charlene went through a time when she was very full of herself and way too busy for her friends but my roommate defended her, saying anyone who became Miss America would act like that. It would be really hard not to be self-absorbed and frantically busy. My roommate said she settled down later and as far as I know, they stayed friends. I only exchange Christmas cards with that roommate, after all these years so I don't know but I like the way she always defended Charlene and because of her, I had a hard time believing some of the rumors about Charlene that swirled around her during my BYU years.

Posted by: sanantonioblue ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:14PM

Wow... What a dirty little gossip session we have going here.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:57PM

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:28PM

sanantonioblue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow... What a dirty little gossip session we have
> going here.

It's dirty gossip when it's said about someone that you do like.

It's just observations and social commentary when it's someone that you don't like.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:25PM

I had a class with her at BYU post Miss America. She wasn't particularly friendly - and not particularly unfriendly either -and only attended maybe 50% of the time. It was a very small class and I think we were all intimidated by her anyway. She was already working for KSL so her studying to get a degree was really just a formality.

A professor did personally tell me though that several in the communications department lamented beauty queens going into broadcasting. He didn't mention Charlene by name but you knew exactly who he was talking about.

And thats my Charlene Wells brush with greatness.

Posted by: SD ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 04:29PM

Wasn't she the white girl in those photos with Vanessa Williams?

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 04:36PM

SD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wasn't she the white girl in those photos with
> Vanessa Williams?

No. She was the white picture of modesty that was used to scrub the image of Miss America clean after the scandal.

Posted by: Skeptical ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 06:00PM

I think you are a poor friend to air this couple's life without their permission. Your posts seems more about you feeling important because you know a celebrity than any commentary about the LDS church.

I am glad were not friends. I would hate to see what you would post about me.

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 06:03PM

Agreed. It's not nice to dish about people, especially friends.

Skeptical, be glad I don't gossip about you. I know where the bodies are buried! I'm glad we're friends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 06:03PM by runtu.

Posted by: geneticerror ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 06:06PM

This sort of gossip is very mormon of you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.