Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lester Gladwalker ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 03:24PM

"[Reality]....is a socially programmed hypnosis, an induced fiction in which we have collectively agreed to participate. And once in a while, somebody breaks out of that hypnosis of social conditioning - it's an interesting and motley group of sages, psychotics, and geniuses."

I like this as an observation of our society, but I also think it fits our little community here. Substitute TSCC for "Reality" and think of RfM as the "motley group".

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 03:32PM

Agreed. It seems anytime people break away from what ever "their" sociaty exspects of them; The sheeple in the herd get especially restless & the individualists have to shift and adjust somewhat But when you can find a great group of people like this,It makes it all worthwhile.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 03:40PM

That is a nice quote. I attended a workshop a few years ago and one of the women that also attended told me a story about Mr. Chopra. She was VERY attractive. She went to one of his shows and afterwards he invited her backstage. He not only asked for sex, but he expected that he would get it from her because of his "status." Neither of us our fans of his anymore.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 04:23PM

Yeah, I don't like him either.

I always imagined that he was using woo-woo to seduce women.

Date: April 20, 2013 04:27PM

he is a massive womanizer

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 06:13PM

It's easy to label and gossip and defame, tupperwhere. It's more difficult to substantiate with real evidences. :)

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 07:12PM

And all labels (which we peel off the roll inside our own minds) are attempts to divert attention--ours and others'--from the traits we ourselves are ashamed of. They say more about the labeler than about the labelee.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 09:36PM

My bank account proves it.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 10:32PM

and anyway the process of projected guilt is almost always unconscious. But it's the reason we look for the negative in others and feel more "innocent" or righteous ourselves because of it.

Date: April 20, 2013 09:33PM

Whether he's a womanizer or not, big egos and status usually = big libidos.

It's not outside the realm of possibility that he tries to sex up the ladies. If someone were to say, "He came onto me," would you take issue with that, too? I think you might. I suppose you'd need an official document with the appropriate seal to even consider the possibility that he's a woo rock star, because rock stars *never* try to sex up the groupies. /sarcasm

In any event, I think he's full of woo and fat with dough.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2013 10:00PM by Beth.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 08:58PM

Could he be the reincarnation of Joseph Smith? Seriously.

Date: April 20, 2013 03:57PM

Hey, here's a cool idea...Let's all wake up from ALL the hypnotic delusions that we "thought" were real.

Why settle for ANY self-imposed (yes, it's all self-imposed) shackles of the mind? Liberate!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 04:34PM

woo woo scam artist laughing all the way to the bank.

Date: April 20, 2013 04:41PM

and getting laid by groupies all along the way. I love Oprah, but ya. I wonder if he solicited her after the many times he was on her show?

Date: April 20, 2013 06:15PM

Yeah, especially since we all know Oprah is a huge slut, and fucks everybody she has on her show more than once. Hee hee!

Date: April 20, 2013 08:27PM

I see your point

Date: April 20, 2013 09:38PM

I see your woo woo and raise you a woo. He's a virtual woo-woo train.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 04:52PM

Random Deepak Chopra Quote Generator

http://www.wisdomofchopra.com/

Date: April 20, 2013 04:54PM

lol thank-you. I'm going to waste 20 mins now playing with that

Posted by: grubbygert nli ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 07:44PM

"It has been said by some that the thoughts and tweets of Deepak Chopra are indistinguishable from a set of profound sounding words put together in a random order, particularly the tweets tagged with "#cosmisconciousness". This site aims to test that claim! Each "quote" is generated from a list of words that can be found in Deepak Chopra's Twitter stream randomly stuck together in a sentence."

haha

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 06:16PM

I thought he was full of crap. He has a creep factor.

I don't like him.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 06:40PM

Pseudo-scientific peddler of bullsh*t

Posted by: Lester Gladwalker ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 06:51PM

I wasn't pushing Chopra.I just thought the quote fit this group.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 07:00PM

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. The Deepster might bave some good insights, he's just not my cup of organic-caffiene-free-herbal tea

Date: April 20, 2013 08:28PM

I know you weren't, I actually did like your quote

Date: April 20, 2013 09:59PM

Most of us are taking issue with Deepak Chopra.

This guy takes issue with him, too and shares his name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_Systems

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 07:07PM

"I am an idiot" wait he didn't say that others said it about him.

His quote here may be appealing but he doesn't apply it consistently. I agree that much of what we see as reality is really just our collective imagination but breaking out of that collective imagination doesn't have the effect that he claims it does

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2013 07:14PM by jacob.

Date: April 20, 2013 07:29PM

Specifically, jacob, what does he claim the effect is?

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 07:43PM

Fair question, it has been a while but if I remember correctly Mr Chopra claims that once you gain true perception of reality one is free to create what ever reality they choose. I disagree, clearer perception allows one to more effectively operate inside reality but it doesn't allow you to create new reality.

Date: April 20, 2013 08:42PM

But reality is fluid and changing, is it not? Even the "collective reality" you refer to must change continually. Is not each new moment of this "reality" therefore a "new and different" reality? :)

Even if many elements of my personal reality continue in some form from moment to moment, the fact is, each moment is new to me. And I do a lot to shape these forms and events, either consciously or unconsciously, with my thoughts and actions.

And as I become more and more liberated from self-delusions about the collective "reality", I am able to practice consciously shaping each new moment. It's an amazing process, and as my skill increases, who knows what new "reality" may manifest in my life?

Date: April 20, 2013 09:45PM

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 09:05PM

hello has it.

Realize that your paradigm is changing constantly as you gain wisdom and experience, and as other factors enter the picture. When we are LDS, the battle is to keep your paradigm from changing, hold onto the iron rod, do not be buffeted by Satan, stay sweet, stay "the same." Pure, childlike...malleable.

WHen you seize the reins of your own life, you never suffer from ennui, never have a boring day because every day is what YOU make it. You are the creator of the reality around you.

Pretty exciting...and empowering.

Anagrammy

PS. Yes, there is a creep factor there. Compare with Anthony Robbins who is transparent - he wants your money, that's all. He delivers an empowerment product, that's it. Maybe you don't like him or do, but for contrast, no creep vibe at all.

Ana the Creepinator

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2013 09:07PM by anagrammy.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 10:08PM

I never heard about his womanizing, but in debates with others such as Michael Shermer, it's clear that about 95% of what Deepak says is a bunch of vague spiritual and pseudo-scientific BS strung together. I don't like him because I think he's a faker.

Date: April 20, 2013 10:13PM

he may be a faker perv, but I disagree that his "vague, spiritual psyudo-science" is flawed. I know you are rational though. I like his message, just not the man.

Date: April 20, 2013 10:34PM

is Deepak's publicist a member of Rfm?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.