Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 02:11PM

I know the Temple is the spiritual pinnacle of the LDS faith and the edifice is built "to last through the millennium", (unless its destroyed by fire, ie. the Apia Samoa Temple in 2003). The church spends millions on these buildings. Granted, its a business and a means to the indoctrination control, but is there any place to find out the construction costs of the temples? Does anyone have the bottom line numbers $$,$$$,$$$.00 for temples?

Case in point. I was told this story from a VIP attendee (1 of 20) present in the Celestial Room for the San Antonio Texas Temple. Suddenly there was LOUD LAUGHTER, and it continued for 2-3 minutes. Then, in walks President Hinckley, with a man he introduced as the temple's architect.

GBH said he needs to leave the architect in Texas because he has cost the church a lot of money. But, he said, "it is the most beautiful temple we've ever built to date" (as of May 2005).

Any place to go for the costs of temples?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 02:37PM

I suspect temple construction, like the mall, is used to channel money to well connected Mormons in the construction business and therefore cost far more than would be expected.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 08:24AM

100% agree. The Temple Industrial Complex

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 02:41PM

It's probably a well-hidden figure. They don't want others ridiculing their wickedness in spending that kind of money of useless things instead of on uplifting the billions of suffering poor among us.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 02:41PM

It's the difference between what the church *says* it spends on humanitarian aid and what it actually spends.

Posted by: slimchance ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 02:44PM

There was one built in my home town about 4-5 years ago. The rumor is it cost about 25 million. I am a construction estimator and project manager. Based on my professional experience that sounds about right.

The developer/construction company I work for has been awarded several projects on LDS church buildings. I'm an exmo and everyone else here is nevermo. We won bids by simply being the low bidder and having good qualifications.

Posted by: slimchance ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 02:45PM

I should add that I don't think the 25 mil included the costs of improving the city streets around the temple, upgrading water sewer lines, etc.

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 03:00PM

I was just going to say, we need an estimator, and there you were.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 08:05AM

Yes, praise Jeebus. The church is twoo.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 02:47PM

My guess is that it varies greatly from area to area, country to country.

I would suppose that a temple costs the same as a similar edifice in the same are, including land cost, permits, architects, etc. depending on the time frame.

Typically, religious edifices are much more ornate and decorated
than the usual temple. They are really quite plain compared to other religious buildings.

Some info here that is probably close:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_D.C._Temple

More here:
http://articles.latimes.com/1993-01-04/news/mn-912_1_san-diego-temple

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2013 02:50PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 02:52PM

jiminycricket Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> GBH said he needs to leave the architect in Texas
> because he has cost the church a lot of money.
> But, he said, "it is the most beautiful temple
> we've ever built to date" (as of May 2005).

Maybe he was just trying to be nice to the architect, but I don't know who would ever believe that is the most beautiful anything. It looks like several other recent temples, with a dorky, out-of-proportion vertical/horizontal design, and a fake-looking stone exterior.

Date: April 18, 2013 02:55PM

Exactly. They miss the mark nearly every time with the architecture that appears to be strongly influenced by old fashioned ideas of certain geezers. The SA one looks like a set of Victorian chimneys pasted together.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 03:00PM

It's good to remember that whatever the outcome, the design of the temple in local areas, these days anyhow, and for a long time, has had to go to a lot of approval processes before it was built.

Some look strangely out of place, in my opinion, also. Others seem to fit the local design for the times.

They are important to a certain group of people who find them valuable. I did at one time, but not anymore as I changed my mind about my religious needs and what rituals I want in my life.

Date: April 18, 2013 03:29PM

It looks like they're doing a bit better with the one in Hartford, Connecticut:

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/hartford/

I just wish they'd do that every time.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 03:52PM

The design of that one is very "New England church," so perfect for the location. That design would look out of place in other locales.

(I do like it very much--but that's the New Englander in me talking.)

Date: April 18, 2013 05:13PM

It's reasonable. But it looks like a design for a small building that's been incongruously stretched for a huge one.

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 04:14PM

According to this http://www.hcs.ohio-state.edu/ukstudy2000/postcard/mormon.htm the Preston England Temple cost £100 million ($165 million in 1998 dollars).

This does, however, include a chapel. Also, smaller temples were built after this.

Posted by: Flyinghigh ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 07:46PM

The Preston Temple site also includes the Stake Centre, MTC, Temple Workers Accommodation, Patrons Accommodation, Family History Centre, Distribution Building, Temple President's Bungalow, Gardeners Buildings, Football Pitch, Running Track and also two lakes. As Tom said it cost approx $165 million in 1998.
To give you an idea of some of the costs involved in refurbishment and maintenance, the new carpeting and associated costs for the three floors in the Temple came to approx $400,000 about three years ago. The installation of the new CCTV system cost approx $500,000 a year earlier. There was no expense spared when it came to replace and refurbish temple furniture, with a single wooden chair costing in the region of $1000. Vast amounts of money were also regularly spent on the extensive gardens, with a single new replacement conifer costing approx $8000.
The running costs, salaries, refurbishment and maintenance of the entire temple site and buildings came to several million dollars per year. Yes, the Mormon God and all his Exalted Heirs sure enjoy their quaint little home comforts as they humbly and meekly redeem all of humankind.

Date: April 19, 2013 09:12PM

Posted by: 2thdoc ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 09:44AM

I read a newspaper article here in Texas regarding the Philadelphia Temple that reported its total cost at 70 million dollars, which included 4 million for the land purchase alone.

I showed the article to my two teenage sons who read it with their mouths hanging open. It had a huge effect on them and they still refer to it for an example of TSCC's out-of-whack priorities.

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 01:24PM

the carpets, woodworking, stone font/oxen (even if only half the requisite number and mirrors were used, as I recall from visiting during the public open days) were all of the highest quality....chandelier in the Celestial Room...there was even Wedgwood jasperware in there...

high quality can be expensive!

Any ideas how much it cost to build modern Nauvoo?

Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 02:57PM

I know a guy who has been involved with the construction of a number of church buildings. These include campus buildings, ward buildings and even a temple. He mentioned the average cost per square foot of average buildings then said that temples cost almost twice as much per foot.

I couldn't figure out why temples cost so much more. It isn't like you can buy celestial quality cement. Maybe the carpet and paint and fixtures are all upgraded? Maybe there are bigger and better kickbacks for temples?

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 04:10PM

Will all these expensive temples eventually do them in?

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 04:19PM

Are you thinking about putting one in the back yard?

There are several cities in the US that a temple building might be the best new nightclub.

Glowing walls, really loud Justin Bieber music, and of course a great VIP/Celestial Room.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 04:21PM

From what I've heard from people that know is that (if I can recall correctly), it's definitely 8 figures, plus the maintenance costs equal the construction costs over a period of something like 20 years or so.

Posted by: Odell Campbell ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 04:56PM

I was on the Open House Committee for the Oklahoma City temple. I thought the construction cost, less the funishings, was about 14-16 million. The LDS church already owned the land.

Posted by: Flyinghigh ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 06:45PM

The money that the LDS church makes from temple clothing hire and from the temple cafeteria is religiously calculated and deposited by temple security staff into the Salt Lake treasury via HSBC bank, the following day. Money will always be the only God that is worshipped and receives such adoring attention within the fanatical Mormon leadership.

Posted by: greengobbledyguck ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 10:05PM

so i keep wondering how much is it costing to put the tabernacle temple on a basement?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.