Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 07:44PM

I tried to add to the ward activity thread but it was already closed. Who remembers traveling to Provo back in the 80's for the Ramses II exhibition? Our ward did it. I'm just curious if anyone else remembers that trip. It was heavily advertised by the church so I'm sure many people went from around the area. It didn't cost that much though so I'm thinking TSCC must have absorbed some of the cost at that point??? Does anyone know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 07:48PM

Sponsored by the company?

If you have to ask.......heh heh......

Posted by: Loins of Fire ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 08:00PM

I remember going and enjoying it. Oddly, I believe we (DW and I)went with Florence and Chad Hansen of Hansen Classic figurines. I think they invited us and gave us tickets.

Was a great day. In spite of the TBMness of it all.

That's waaay back in the old mental archives.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 08:02PM

Ah, yes, the Ramses II exhibit! I lived in the now-demolished Deseret Towers V-Hall so I was just a parking lot away from the museum. It was kind of cool having that stuff so close.

Date: April 16, 2013 08:21PM

that's probably where it was. I was in 7th or 8th grade which would have been 1987/1988 or so

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 08:56PM

So was I. I was in room V-623.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 10:30PM

U-Hall. But a year or two before Ramses came. I was still at BYU for it though, just living off campus.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 10:33PM

Bummer. I left after that year and didn't come back until 1989. I had a good time living at Delirium Tremens.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 08:15PM

I quite enjoyed it. It was also my first drive across Canada, and my first visit to BC, overall the most beautiful place on earth IMHO. I've gone back every couple of years since then.

Ramses II exhibit is of course long gone, but it was the initial impetus for my trip.

Date: April 16, 2013 08:20PM

I had a great time at it. I was in jr. high at the time and was an Egyptian history nerd.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 08:41PM

Here is the mummy of Ramses II, the greatest king in the history of Egypt:

http://st-listas.20minutos.es/images/2011-02/275442/2880024_640px.jpg?1297969008

I don't think he's coming back from the dead.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 08:48PM

Thanks a freaking lot! Now I'm going to have nightmares tonight.

Eeewwwww.

;o)

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 09:33PM

But Shelly said the same of this once mighty king better than I ever could:

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30DsJ8eOmKA

Posted by: rqt ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 08:53PM

Ha! My parents drive down from Ogden to take us to it. It was amazing! Still one of the best exhibits I've ever seen and I was nine.

My mom bought the tour book, and it was awesome. My brothers and I fought over who got to read it. It is now a well-worn treasure.

If memory serves me, the exhibit was in the Bean science museum.

Date: April 16, 2013 10:57PM

+1

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 12:48AM

I got to work as a tour guide for the whole exhibit. It was probably my best experience at BYU. There wasn't anything TBM about it, other than being held at BYU. We had to pass a lot of training before we could work there, so I knew all of the artifacts backwards and forwards.

One day while I was working there Hugh Nibley came through with a big group hanging onto everything he had to say. That's when I first realized how full of shit the man was. I don't know if he actually believed the things he was saying, or if he was just making stuff up as he went along. I wasn't an Egyptologist by any means (my major was microbiology), but I knew enough to realize that 99% of what he said was a total lie.

Date: April 17, 2013 12:51AM

lucky for you to get to work it at least. I am still obsessed with Egyptian history. That's funny that you got to see the Mormon side of it. You mean, they didn't have proof of the BoA on site? lol How dare they!

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 12:58AM

In our training they glossed over the BoA. The instructor explained away the problems saying that he believed the papyrus served as an inspiration for Joe Smith to receive inspired works. That might have been the first time I realized there might be problems with the BoA. So thank you BYU for the beginnings of my true education.

Date: April 17, 2013 01:02AM

wow, that's very telling. Even though BYU jacked up that presentation, I'm still glad I was able to see it. Just because I was so into ancient history at that time. I did my own reading and research afterwards which helped me shape my ultimate thoughts.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 10:34AM

Joseph Smith made up stories about ancient Egypt, so Mormons go all crazy about proof that ancient Egypt existed?

I wonder if Scientologist go monkey nuts over museum exhibits about volcanic eruptions?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.