Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 05:51PM

Just had a conversation with a woman business owner I met about a month ago.
She and her husband are mormons, but both have been inactive for many years.
It seems the ward, they live in, got the idea they might be good candidates for reactivation.
A couple men, from the ward, paid them a visit and she answered the door.

Them: "I'm brother _____ and he's brother _____. We were wondering if Brother (her husband) was home?"
Her: "What is it you want him for?"
Them: "Well, we'd really prefer to talk to brother (her husband), is he home."
Her: "Look, I'm his wife. Tell me what it is you want and we'll go from there."
Them: "Well, we wanted to invite you and your husband to attend church, etc."
Her: "We have absolutely zero interest in attending your church and we'd prefer not to be bothered again."
Them: (As they look around her, probably hoping to see her husband) "Is there someone here that can make a more informed decision?"
Her: (On the verge of blowing a gasket) "Look Bucko, I'm the boss in our family and make the decisions.
And if you don't leave I'm going to start using some colorful language to better make my point."

They left.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 05:53PM by heretic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fiona64 ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 05:56PM

heretic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Them: (As they look around her, probably hoping to
> see her husband) "Is there someone here that can
> make a more informed decision?"

If it were any other religion but LD$, I would find this completely unbelievable. Instead, I'm just mentally doing a ::facepalm:: at these guys' overt misogyny. So much for the whole "women are equal partners" crap that TSCC spouts.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 06:00PM

Would you like to talk to one of my sister wives???

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 06:05PM

Yeah, women as equal partners? My ass, they are nowhere near equal.

In my family both my husband and I work. I make close to 2x what he makes. He's actually really proud of that, but what's hilarious is when we have the mishies over and they ask my husband just what it is he does for a living.

Then they look at each other like wow, I had no idea they made that much. I just shake my head and laugh. Yeah I know I'm just the baby maker and the diaper changer blah blah blah.

There is a definite culture in the church that sees women as less than. We aren't as smart regardless of where we went to school and what graduate degree we hold. We aren't as capable regardless of the number of people or projects we've managed. We could never be ward clerks but we are responsible for millions of dollars at work.

These men are idiots, they're stuck in the early 1900's and they can't get out. And really is it any wonder given that most of them were born then?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 06:07PM by minnie.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 06:33PM

This story made me smile, hilarious

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 06:51PM

Oh yes, I was no one to anyone mormon up until I got married at 28. My parents, my relatives, I could overhear "doesn't know her own mind". And they did try a bit of talking to the husband when we first got married, but now they know I don't want so much of them in my life. And my husband thinks they're very silly, and couldn't give a good goddamn if he never sees them again! I love that man!

Getting comments about "finally settling down" after I'd been working steadily for 15 years with stable residence for 5, and paying my own way, making my own decisions that were going very well for me in fact I was about to buy a condo... But no, I'm only respectable once I'm married.

I am so glad my husband appreciates my autonomy and my contribution as more than just a checklist on the way to heaven.

I could go a lifetime without being smirked at for making a valid point only to have a penishood holder roundly praised for repeating my contribution.

I'm sorry, I get to ranting about the sexism.

Posted by: alphonso ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 06:53PM

I was friends with a woman fron Single Adults. She was the first woman to be accepted into and graduate from the BYU with a BS in chemical engineering, which I believe. The entire program she would hear comments all the time about how she needed to withdraw so a man could have her place since all she was going to do was stay at home and have children.

She did have children but she also works a great deal doing technical stuff.

She's a real smart woman. I always loved talking to her.

Posted by: tmac ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 09:51PM

Our family situation is "unconventional" in that I work and my husband is home with our young children. I make six figures and make more than many of the men of our former ward. Most of the other men never really respected my husband because of it. At work I am one of many women with stay at home husbands. Outside TSCC people understand having the spouse with the higher salary work while the other cares for the kids. My husband's self-esteem has increased quite a bit since we all left TSCC.

Posted by: Not logged in (but ususally Duffy) ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 12:28AM

"Is there someone here that can make a more informed decision?"

Really? Really???

That is just deplorable.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 12:32AM

heretic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Is there someone here that can
> make a more informed decision?"

I would seriously lose my sh!t if someone said that to me. Does anyone remember the Jonathan Winters scene in "it's a mad mad mad mad world"? Where he tears that tire shop to shreds? I know he just died. Anyway, that's what I would do if someone said that to me.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 12:36AM

Bam! That's hilarious!

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 03:43AM

I think I'll look them up and down and say "Wow, the church really emasculates you guys!"

If I ever have that said to me....but of course I'll never be asked anything because I'm the single head of household.

It is none of their business who makes what in a family, but the church is all about borders; that is, crossing them.

How deeply inappropriate.

No wonder I often was amock with the TSCC.

I'd think to ask them

Aren't the husband and wife "one" before the Lord?

Don't you think "we" have made up our minds together?

Do you think I'm lying to you?

Do you think my husband and I didn't decide together we're not going back?

What kind of freaks are you anyway?

Informed decision? Why? You need to tell us what time the meetings are at and I can't relay that information?

Posted by: emma ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 09:11AM

"The Lord wants fathers to bless their families, not just rule over them." There it is right from the horses mouth, and yet they still tell everyone that men and women are equal partners, whatever that means.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 05:20AM

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 08:44AM

Imagine my amusement when, at age 33, I had just closed on my house. Still never married, still no children. I'd dug myself out of credit card debt, paid off my student loans, saved up a downpayment and just moved in. And Bam! The missionaries show up. They want to talk to the head of the house. They discover that it's ME and it's my house, but now they cannot talk to me without a chaperone. I'm 33 years old, a responsible taxpayer and homeowner, I managed people twice their age and handled millions of dollars at my job... And these punks can't talk to me without an old man present so he can tell me what to think.

Yeah, thanks for playing. :: door slams ::

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.