Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: L.A.EX ( )
Date: April 13, 2013 12:49AM

I attended a friends graduation tonight at the Kirkham (for all you BYU-I Alumni out there :) and was so disappointed that I wasted 5 years of my life getting my education there.

F*%K what a waste. It was incredibly sad to see infantilized students get up and talk about "learning by the Holy Ghost" and "becoming a disciple of Christ through the learning model" at a time when they should have been talking about their achievement and opportunities, and how incredibly enlightened and empowered they felt with the knowledge that they had worked so hard to gain over the last 4 or so years.

It was just another sacrament meeting. Just another testimony moment. The entire time. It was unreal.

Poor guys trying to talk like G.A.'s, no personality... my girlfriend said it sounded like some late night infomercial. What a mind numbing place.

I am mad that they are accredited. I was naive, I had no idea what education was supposed to be like when I went... I had no idea that it wasn't even close to what a real university experience should be.

I was so mad during the ceremony because I realized what I had missed out on by gettin my education there. I was always frustrated there, and now I realize it is because there is almost no intellectual curiousity, the place is filled with puppets all trying to act like they are at the podium at general conference.

There is none of the excitement that comes when you start to figure out the world, when your preconcieved notions about the world get shattered and you realize just how amazing and complex the world really is. No-one challenges the status quo... it is just an awful place to learn.

It was sad. I am sad that I wasted so much time.

I have a bachelors degree, but I want to go back to a real school and go someplace that would push me intellectually and not "spiritually". It is just that after investing 2 years in a mission and 5 years at a never ending sacrament meeting, I feel like I wasted my education chance and should move into the workforce.

Argh. I learned a lot of important but crappy lessons by going there, but I am sad I missed out on so much intellectually. What a waste.

Sorry for the vent. Needed to get it off my chest. What a crappy place.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.