Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 05:43PM

I've heard that "correlation" destroyed the fun community that once existed in Mormon wards, but what exactly is it? When did it start? How did it destroy the fun?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 06:52PM

It's when the center of the Earth is super happy.

(Ok, I've come up with worse.....)

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 09:52PM

lol I liked it!

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 06:57PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priesthood_Correlation_Program

Everything is micro-managed now across the board. Budgets went down in most areas, resulting in events that are more "spiritual" (aka demanding) and less social/fun. Most donated money goes directly to Salt Lake, so church headquarters controls the purse strings. There is little control of funds at a local level.

Free thought and discussion diminished since information is top-down and strictly controlled.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 07:39PM

behindcurtain:

Last week I listened to the entire podcast series at MormonStories: http://mormonstories.org/149-152-daymon-smith-on-correlation-the-corporate-lds-church-and-mammon/

Andrew Ainsworth interviews Daymon Smith Ph.D and discusses CORRELATION in Episode 2.

Listen and learn. This is why the church has been so successful at teaching a totally white washed version of the truth for 40 years. Thank you Boyd KKK Packer.

Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 08:19PM

Posted by: broswithmanyhoes ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 09:31PM

This is excellent.

Posted by: Haunted Wasatch ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 07:49PM

Jiminy beat me to it.

Essentially, correlation is the church whitewash program that had humbler more innocent beginnings that was Harold B Lee's brainchild during Mckay's reign. It is the main reason why I did not learn about Joseph Smith translating ancient documents with a magic hat and rock, his love of teenage girls, his love of alcohol, and his last gunfight until my late thirties. Oh and yes that Brigham Young and his councilor Jedediah Grant were actually batsh*t crazy.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 10:49PM

morgrefugee, you've nailed it. This bu11$h1+ is criminal. How can the Mormons get away with their crimes? They fu*k people up with no retribution.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 08:48PM

It is the process of converting a church's doctrines into a few corporate policy manuals written at an 6th grade reading level.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 08:54PM

Correlation was the most horrible thing to happen to the cult, along with making the 3 hour block schedule.

What's weird is that many stakes, especially where there is a lot of wealth, they still have a lot of activities - road shows, sports, Gold & Green balls, youth conferences, Primary activity days, etc. They still have these things because they just do it themselves.

Posted by: DonQuijote ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 09:08PM

The individual sections in the church like primary, elders quorum, etc. had total control over themselves and even decided what to teach. But when correlation started that's when the 1st Presidency assumed total control over all areas of the church, and made manuals for them. The GA's struggled over it for a while. It was brought up and discussed I think for a decade or so before it was finally passed with the "prophet" put his foot down and decided on it, then all the apostles that didn't agree changed their decision to be in line with his.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 10:54PM

The main practical change was this is when they set it up so that everyone across the world was, theoretically, getting the same lesson on the same week.

It's when they started strongly pushing - teach only out of the manuals.

- This is not to be confused with correlation meetings (although they are probably part of the same movement.)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 11:02PM

Correlation also represents disloyalty on the part of the leaders to their own members. Books and manuals were hauled in and destroyed, and new ones reissued with a watered down pap for lessons. Even the scriptures were hauled in and reissued with "new and better" scriptures (and now they're doing it yet again).

The secrets only got more secret after Correlation. Cards were always held tightly to the leaders' collective chest, but now you're no longer able to see the deck.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.