Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 03:01PM

So, let's assume that the mormons have it right and everyone should hear the message, be baptized, make the covenants, etc in order to be exalted and get their eternal reward.

But, because of the billions and billions of folks who never heard anything about mormonism, they have a backup plan where dead people get to hear the gospel from other dead people and earthlings can go through the motions of ordinance work while pretending to be dead, as well.

Well, then they say that if you had the chance to hear the message while you were alive, and rejected it, you won't get the chance later on when you're dead. Even though the message is presented by two pimply-faced kids who've never been away from home longer than scout camp, and who act surprisingly like insurance salesman.

So my question is this: isn't it mean-spirited to send out missionaries when you know most people will reject the message and then won't get the chance later, when you could just keep your mouths shut, stop advertising all over youtube, and let the dead bury the dead so to speak?

It's like they're actively trying to ruin everyone's chances of becoming gods by presenting the dumbest ideas by dumb kids wearing dumb clothes in a dumb way.

Missionary work is just dumb...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 03:12PM

kolobian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...they say that if you had the chance to
> hear the message while you were alive, and
> rejected it, you won't get the chance later on
> when you're dead.

What's crazy is that this sounds exactly like JW doctrine. You get your one shot on earth, should you happen to run into JW preachers. Only those who have never heard the message in life get a second chance after death (post-Armageddon, in Paradise, not in spirit prison, which is not something they believe in).

I never heard this as a Mormon belief but then again I was only in for three yrs and do they teach these nuggets to converts? No, they do not. I thought spirit prison was the afterlife destination of nevermos and even considered it a nicer doctrine than the JW one, and the mainstream Christian belief on this for that matter, as everybody gets a chance, or another chance, or another chance after that.

As for why it has to be so convoluted, yeah, I've asked myself that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2013 03:13PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.