Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: April 11, 2013 11:54PM

Funny enough after reading a bunch of missionary threads, my brother in law had his friends over who just happen to be mishies of a different church. I don't remember the name of the church, but it was longer than TSCC full name. After talking to them for an hour or so, I couldn't believe that such a "mission life" would exist. Now RMs, just imagine this.

Pay, yes pay. They make a modest income. But unlike the church, they tell you that it's $700 a month each, or $1400 for both). None of this "modest" $1 million estate bullsh*t. They get their rent, food, amenities taken care of too.

Rules, no uniforms, no needing to stick with your partner 24/7, no curfew (although it's advised to go home at dusk because of safety issues), no president's letters, no inspections, no rulebook but the Bible. Show a good example like Christ would.

Work, no tracting. They both laughed when I told them what I had to do as a missionary and said that it's a really pushy and unChristlike manner of doing things it seems. All they do is serve at the local orphanage, teach a tuition free school for homeless kids, and THEN hold a Sunday school like class. Lessons are strictly secular, and then if you want to stick around, you can listen. If not, we wont force you, Christ wouldn't do such a thing.

Sunday of course is church day. They teach real Sunday school too.

That's it. Do good deeds, read your Bible, be like Christ, love those you serve. You can watch TV if you want, rest if you want, go to the hospital without permission, pee in your own privacy, buy food that cost more than instant noodles, and even sleep in if you are a bit worn out from the day before. All guilt free, as long as God knows you're serving him and helping his children.

Of course the church might say that they can't afford to pay missionaries, but just for fun I thought to do a little math.

Let's just say the missionaries get paid $600 (not including money to cover expenses). My parents paid $400 a month for my mission, so that would be $1000 a month or $12,000 a year for each missionary.

Since we know the church has roughly 50,000 missionaries, 12,000x50,000 = $600,000,000 give or take. Even if every missionary made/cost twice as much, that comes to just about a little more than a "tithing's percent" amount of the churches income. Would make sense then to have a Christlike mission setup but no...right? I don't know, just my little rant for the day. I hated my mission and now that I see how nice being a missionary could be (serving with a female companion!), I feel all the more robbed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 11:56PM by notsurewhattothink.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 08:44AM

That's amazing. I do think church missions should be like that. More service orientated, helping the general public.

One of my friends did missionary work as well. She was able to choose how long she went for, so she went for 6 months, and she went to somewhere in Africa, to do charity work in the poverty stricken areas. I would much prefer to do that as a mission than the mormon mission.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: April 12, 2013 01:10PM

Sometimes my mission was like that - slept in, went sight seeing or to the lake to swim, etc. Depended on your companion. Haha.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.